584,858 active members*
4,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy coolant bleed down problem

We have a SMM1 with the 3/4 hp pump and the aux filter. All from Haas. Our problem is that when the pump turns off for a tool change the coolant keeps coming out as the pressure bleeds off from the filter.
    Does anyone have an idea on how to hook up a solenoid of some sort that would energize when the pump comes on but would shut off the flow when the pump turns off. Has anyone designed something for this?

Re: coolant bleed down problem

You could use a residuaxl check valve. Set the pressure much less than pump pressure so the pump doesn't start against too much head, and locate the valve close to the spindle. The check will hold coolant to the spindle. With a rigid system with no air there will be no residual pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by pgbarber View Post
    We have a SMM1 with the 3/4 hp pump and the aux filter. All from Haas. Our problem is that when the pump turns off for a tool change the coolant keeps coming out as the pressure bleeds off from the filter.
    Does anyone have an idea on how to hook up a solenoid of some sort that would energize when the pump comes on but would shut off the flow when the pump turns off. Has anyone designed something for this?
    Does it have a check valve down by the pump itself? If not, install one and that should greatly cut down on the bleed off time.

There is the standard Haas flap check valve that comes on the pump. I believe the problem is there is a pressure of 25 psi on the gauges on the filter and when the pump shuts of that pressure has to bleed off thru the lines. I have tried putting a simple check valve near the nozzles but it still happens.
    I looked up those residual check valves but I don't see how they would help....they are just check valves right...

Quote Originally Posted by pgbarber View Post
    I have a TM-2p that had the same issue. I mounted a solenoid on the enclose (top, near the spindle) with the solenoid power connected to the pump power.
    Works good, now there is only a small amount of coolant at a very low pressure. No longer gets into the tool changer.
    Can get more info if needed.

Path

e

That sounds like that would solve my problem. Could you send me the info on the solenoid that you used. It would save me a lot of time.

It's a ASCO Valve bought from The Valve Shop about 3 years ago. Model MX540 8210P094 , coil is 100-240 AC/DC.

My coolant motor (240 vac) plugs into the power cabinet so I ran the valve wiring inside a waterproof conduit then through a hole in the cabinet. Then
    just jumper-ed the valve power to the connector inside the cabinet.

I think I paid about $80 back then.

Path

Red face Re: coolant bleed down problem

Thank you very much. I was looking at them also. The cost is about 160$ now but it will be worth it.

Path,
    Bought the valve and finally mounted it on the right side of the cabinet. Conduit thru the hole that is there and hooked it up to the outlet for the pump. It works great....shuts off the flow almost immediately....just a little trickle. Thanks for your help with my problem. Hopefully other people will see this post and solve there issue also.
    Paul

Thanks for the follow-up post. So many times, we never hear what happened.

I might do this to my VF-2. I've had problems keeping the tapers clean on the tools and a good chunk of the problem is from coolant draining during a tool-change.
    Greg

Hi,

For what it is worth.

I had a similar issue with my 2007 HAAS TM1P where the coolant would drip all over the place and inside the tool changer housing. I removed the bronze flapper valve that is located near the 3/4 HP Pump and that solved the problem for me. That 3/4 HP pump is so strong that it easily catches up with the coolant flow between tool changes on my HAAS. Originally, I installed a one way valve but I found that just removing the Bronze Flapper Valve solved the problem for me. You mileage may vary, but it is easy to do if your HAAS has similar plumbing. Let us know how you make out.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Is it possible to get a picture on the way you have this valve installed? I have the same problem and hopefully this works. I would greatly appreciate this. Thanks.