585,753 active members*
3,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > CNC Machining Centers > Input needed between Brother Speedio and Robodrill

Input needed between Brother Speedio and Robodrill

I am looking for a machine to be a dedicated machine for one part that is 2"x2"x2" and will be done on a 4th axis in large quantity. I am looking at the Brother Speedio S500 or the RoboDrill ECO. Both about the same size. I am happy with both of the Quotes but want input on your machines as I have never ran either. The Brother Speedio will come with a 16K spindle, the RoboDrill is 10K. I don't want to go the 27K rpm spindle as I just don't have faith in the longevity of anything that runs that high of rpm. The Brother guys swear the 16K spindle can run wide open for extended periods of time. I will be looking for high speed look ahead as I do have some surfacing work on the part. Can anyone say one is more ridged than the other? I am cutting aluminum with small end mills so it will not matter on this job but I always want the most solid I can get.
    I looked at a Haas DT-1 since I have other Haas and love them. The DT-1 has less pulses/rev encoders and 20mm pitch ball screws witch I do not like. The Brother has 12mm pitch ball screws and 1.2 million pulses/rev encoders. I am sure this is why the Brother and RoboDrill have more than twice the table load capacity over the Haas. Moving more weight with a 20mm pitch is harder and I will run a HA5C 3 spindle indexer on it. Also the Haas needs a 100 amp breaker and the others are like 30 amp so that helps me in the location I am.
    Are there any things that you know about the Brother or RoboDrill that make it more attractive? Less Attractive?

thanks in advance

Re: Input needed between Brother Speedio and Robodrill

I've worked on both, way back. IMO robodrill is a no brainer. Fanuc always beats the proprietary controls from a service standpoint, and you won't have to deal with Yamazen.

Re: Input needed between Brother Speedio and Robodrill

In the end I could not bring myself to purchase a machine that I was not familiar with and would have some learning curve too. I found a Haas 2010 VF-1 with a 15K rpm cat 40 spindle with low hours. The rapids are only 1000 ipm with 750 ipm cutting so I will loose some time with the rapids but not the cutting as I don't see myself cutting faster than 750 ipm. Along with knowing the control I now can run the Haas 4 spindle indexer direct thru the machine with full 4th axis. The others was thru a control box and only indexing with m code input. Hope it works out well. Put a lot of thought into the other machines and they may have worked out but for me this was the best choice.