585,975 active members*
4,907 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > New air compressor recommendation
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: New air compressor recommendation

yeah... the 30 HP tank adds a boost to the 5 HP motor... customized air injection system.

ok, 30 gallon tank. A quick look at Quincy's website, and I couldn't find the model anymore. Bummer, liked the size, as since I bought it, I have moved 4 times (including coast-to-coast), and the typical 60-80 gallon size would have added to the challenge.

And yes, it definitely isn't quiet, but it is a lower frequency noise than the typical pancake compressor, and I can live with it.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by AVRnj View Post
    I just got an ATC, so now I am using the ATC, power drawbar, and fog buster. My current compressor would be fine for power drawbar and fog buster, but with the ATC and the walk away factor, I am pretty sure I need a new air compressor to not risk not having enough air for something mid operation.

I don't have the space to put a big monster somewhere out of the way to not hear it, so I was thinking of the California air 1020D because it is powerful and very fast, not a huge tank at 10 gallons, but I can manage its space, and it won't make me crazy with the noise, but its not cheap at all.

Can anyone who uses the ATC and fog buster give me some recommendations based on what you use?
    I actually use the ATC, Fogbuster (single) and PDB with the 4.6 Gallon GM cyclone. I also have the low pressure sensor, but I rarely run into a problem due to low pressure, so it IS possible. If you're worried, you could tell your machine to pause for 30 seconds before each tool change.

That being said, it is far from an ideal set up. The air compressor is basically always running. If you need to clear chips with an air gun, you will need to pause before a tool change.

I don't own a Tormach, but I bought one one of the California Air Tools 10020-22060 compressors last year. I've been very happy with it. I run a home built fogbuster type system with the air pressure set at 60psi. I had a CH 5HP/60GAL stand up compressor and it was about 96db while running. I couldn't run it at night when the kids were asleep in their rooms above the garage because it would wake them up. The CAT is around 85db and is also a more pleasant tone. The only gripe I have is that the blow off valve whistles when the compressor cycles off and it is louder than the compressor running. That can be remedied with a restrictor or muffler, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

California Air Tools - The Largest Manufacture of Ultra Quiet, Oil-Free & Lightweight Air Compressors - CAT-10020-22060

Hey Chris, wrap a rag around the intake muffler and that will quiet your compressor down a whole bunch.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Here's a short video of the noise:

https://youtu.be/bMfoSMYgncw

I added a 10-32 pressure tap and a short length of RC fuel tubing. It seems to have cured it:
    https://youtu.be/h99VPr38a9A

I have a 30 year old Puma, 2 stage, 5 hp 60 gallon tank, relief set at 150#, works fine and runs everything without a problem....... It is noisy though, but doesnt cycle often.
    mike sr

Hi Chris! My first air compressor was a Makita. Makita is known for creating bad quality utensils. You shouldn't buy one of their products because later you'll pay more for repairing them. No one wants that. If you or someone else wants to buy an air compressor, I recommend you the WEN 2289 10 gallon air compressor, which might be the best 10 gallon air compressor. This thing will be good for years. It was a gift from my son for my last birthday. I'm very proud of it. Even my neighbors come to me when they need an air compressor.

hi mates i just bought a new electric air compressor which is very efficient and that's also my recommendation to those who are looking out to buy a new one, you can choose here from types and sizes https://sydneytools.com.au/category/air-compressors.

mate i do recommend an electric air compressor, which what i just bought and been using it for the last 6months. So far so good, I don't have an issue with it.

HI ADMIN,

PLEASE DELETE OR REMOVE THE LINK IN THIS POST, I HAVE NO INTENTION TO PROMOTE A BAD REPUTATION WEBSITE. THANKS
    https://en.industryarena.com/forum/s...=1#post2345109

Page 2 of 2 12