585,974 active members*
4,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tube Indication

If indicating a tube on the ID within .001",4" deep in bore. Why when moving indicator 1" in bore it would be .005" TIR? This is in a CNC lathe with the tube through a double chuck spindle.

Re: Tube Indication

Have you checked your turret alignment to the center line of the spindle or the Z axis may not be on center line?? What lathe do you have, is this after you bore it ?? You need to put a test bar in the chuck and tram it along the Z axis with 2 indicators 90 degrees apart. What is the wall thickness.

Mike CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Quote Originally Posted by meckardt55 View Post
    Have you checked your turret alignment to the center line of the spindle or the Z axis may not be on center line?? What lathe do you have, is this after you bore it ?? You need to put a test bar in the chuck and tram it along the Z axis with 2 indicators 90 degrees apart. What is the wall thickness.

Mike CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services
    Thanks for the reply Mike,this is a honed ID I have not bored the ID. I have checked the spinde with a test bar and turned a 8 in section. There is about .0005" taper. I didn't think that was bad. Checked to see if it is running perpendicular with the chuck. I swiped a boring bar pocket to check if turret is centered.All these checks were OK. I was wondering if it was the honed ID that was the problem?