585,761 active members*
4,163 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: indexing

indexing

hi, how often do you guys index cut half sheet x half sheet and how are the resuls? Have anyone tried or considered having the table bed motorized to become the y axis (move back and forth) this would of course only be for gauge thick 4 x 8 mat'l

I am considering this for my build which would be 4 x 4 for two reasons mainly 1) I would mostly be cutting small mechanical parts 2) space is limited for me, but I am sure I would sometimes have a nesting of parts to be cut or occasionally architectural pieces to be cut from 4 x 8 sheets, which is why I would like this capability of having a motorized table in place of the y axis.
    You may say this would increase overall parts count of the machine which would unnecessarily increase cost and you would be right but I was thinking linear rails are expensive which is why I would limit them to 4' and use v groove bearings on angle track for the motorized table because accuracy on artsy stuff may not really matter anyway.
    Anyway Im not even sure if this would work. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

attached is a very simple drawing of what I have in mind:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D view.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	281206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	End view.PNG 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	281208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3d xray view.jpg 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	281210

Re: indexing

A moving table will require more floor space than a gantry. It's easy to realign the sheet to make cuts that are larger than your machine. I would not bother with a moving table.

Re: indexing

I know... it might not make sense having the balance of the material moving with the table. This idea popped in my head late one night while lying in bed :idea:

I will jus do like you said and realign the sheet to continue the cut. Thanks