585,962 active members*
4,147 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > home made 4th axis looking for an easy gcode to try

home made 4th axis looking for an easy gcode to try

Hello everyone. I made a cheap home made mount to hold a stepper motor and a tail end I can spin it I ordered a driver so it will have its own but right now its using the y axis driver. I have been trying to figure out how to program this in artcam or mastercam but this 4th axis is brand new to me and like nothing I have every used. So I was hoping some one might share a file or just a g code to make a 3/4 in dowel 6-8 in long with maybe a bump or a twist in it. And I have the steps set per inch in mach3 to so it reads 2in on full turn ( kind of guessed at that with artcam putting out -.8 to 1.2) Thanks for reading

Re: home made 4th axis looking for an easy gcode to try

Mini,

I just got my 4th working and calibrated and I guess I am in the same boat you are. I made a test file that moved all axes in coordinated motion but would also like a file to actually cut something interesting. Mach3 Wiz lets you do a spline or simple gear; that might be enough to let you see how it all works together but kind of boring.... Post if you have a interesting file please.

Re: home made 4th axis looking for an easy gcode to try

They say you can program it just like a flat axis. I use mine along my x axis using my y axis to drive it I found out what works for me on how to set it up. 1600 steps = 1 full turn so if the size of my part on y was 2 in I would set my steps to 800 1600/2=800 so that I would have a full rev around part
    I have been playing with artcam unwraping a 3d model I could share a code set up like this