585,722 active members*
4,101 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Is Fanuc 0-MC already obsolete?

Guys,

Need some help on Fanuc 0-MC upgrade?

What to consider when I upgarde my whole control?

I badly need your help.

Thanks!

Re: Is Fanuc 0-MC already obsolete?

What is your goal? Do you just need some more features than are currently enabled on your machine, or are you in need of high speed surfacing or full 5 axis simultaneous control? More information about what your direction is, what machine you're working with, and so on and so on...

And yes, the OM-C is obsolete... but that doesn't mean you can't make money with a machine running it. I've got a friend running an old Mori lathe with a 6 control that makes him money day in and day out. I have a 1994 P&W Tape Drill with the OM-C that I got cheap, and still make money with when I need an extra spindle.

My goal is to secure that there are available spares whenever components of 0-MC have breakdown. I am worrying i would not find any spare with same specs as replacement for the worn out parts.

The machine is working on gear chamferring. only 2 axes are used.

And by the way the machine is since 1992 and still makes money as you friend's does

It would be a whole heap cheaper then to search out spare boards that match the ones in the machine now and put them on the shelf, depending of course on availability in your area. Your locations shows to be Japan, so I would think that there would be little problem in finding spares, but there may not be the same market there for spares as there is here in the US. I know of quite a few sources for complete replacement boards here, and quite a few reputable repair houses for all the OM-C generation hardware. These are still heavily in use here.

The effort to change over all the motors, cables, I/O and such seems pretty daunting to me as compared to keeping a running machine going. Your choice though. Are you planning on doing the retrofit yourself?

Thanks John_B,

By the way, what do you think If I upgrade it from 0-MC to 0i-MC.? Do I need to change all motors, and I/O as well?

Retrofitting is not really my thin that is why I am seeking help from experts like you

its a big and expensive job to retro-fit a CNC control. especially Fanuc because most technical info is secret. you will pay heavily for the work by specialized company.
    better to do as suggested and buy spare working boards and store them. in the long run it is much cheaper.
    Even now you can buy old Fanuc 6 boards and Fanuc 0 is very common today so I think even in 10 years you can still buy working Fanuc 0 spare boards.
    do some research because price varies a lot. some sellers offer board for example $100 and other seller offers same board for $2000. most bulk sellers have no idea what they are selling so take time and search for the best buy.

Rubyred,

This is a little off topic... What brand and model is your machine?
    On topic - there are also a number of places that can trouble shoot and repair various Fanuc boards. cncrepair.com and galco.com are a couple of places that come to mind.

Thanks,
    Charles

Hello cjfisher,

Thanks for your reply.

The Machine maker is YUTAKA, Model DGA 202N.

Hello Guys,

I roamed around the machine and found the specs of the FANUC units used. Here are some.

1. A06B-6058-H005
    SERVO DRIVE AC 3.08KW 10S/ 20M/0S/3000

2.A76L-0300-0133/B
    RELAY HYBRID

3.A16B-1212-0100-01
    POWER SUPPLY UNIT

4.A02B-0099-C065
    MONITOR PDP/MDI TYPE 9 IN COLOR

5.A13B-0166-C001
    LCD UNIT

All parts are obsolete. Has anybody here found an alternative for this part?

Thank you very much!

you can retro-fit a common PC LCD screen into any CNC machine for about $50
    The power supplies are available on ebay and from part sellers. same for the servo

I can tell you for a 0i retrofit with motors and drives will be about 70k US. just for the hardware. That OMC is still supported, no reason to retrofit for at least 10 more years.

most CNC control hardware out-lives the machines, hence many parts available on ebay and from sellers from scrapped machines.
    when the machine is worn out sell it and buy something newer. retro-fit of CNC is really not needed for any reason
    except if machine is in good condition and CNC is from late 70's early 80's and unreliable

From someone who retrofitted using the Fanuc 0, I would tend to keep it while I can obtain parts from wherever.
    Around the time of the 0, Fanuc purportedly had 60% of the world CNC market, so it is a good bet there is many of them still floating around.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I suspect that >>200,000 0-C varieties were sold; they were a reliable control with the only real limitation being the 128k limit on part program memory; we are working on increasing that to 2 or 4 meg.

Although the FANUC System 0 series is "old", there is a bounty of scrapped machines and spare parts available.
    The good thing about FANUC is their commitment to support the product for as long as possible.
    There are fortunately many "freelance" guys with 10 years+ experience who started with the FANUC System 0 series when the 2 year warranties expired and the wonderfully weird problems started to surface. Pity we cannot get the youngsters to get their hands dirty...

The major flaw with the models 0C and 0D is that the PCBs cannot handle dirt and moisture as well as the older FANUC series control PCBs.
    Seal the electrical cabinet doors properly, block all holes in the cabinet which may allow coolant mist or dust to enter, install a closed loop heat-exchanger where possible and clean the filters very often...simple maintenance.

Okay guys,

I will try to search for a market.

Or if somebody has an idea here How to identify the possible alternative for my Obsolete parts, please let me know
    I badly need your help!

It makes little sense to do this in advance of failures; you likely will never have a problem. Most parts are available on eBay.

or probably better and much more popular in the Japanese market to look at auctions.yahoo.co.jp