585,880 active members*
3,930 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Computer suggestions to run Mach 3

I would like some opinions on purchasing a refurbished computer to run Mach 3 for my cnc conversion of a G0704 mill. There really isn't anything local to purchase, so I am going buy online. There are a lot of Dell OptiPlex systems on sale at Newegg, etc. Any problems with them and issues with any other brands/models? I could get something like the following HP: Refurbished: HP Desktop Computer DC5100 Pentium 4 2.8GHz 2GB DDR2 80GB HDD Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Newegg.com
    Requirements if using the parallel port for machine control:
    •Desktop PC (Laptops are not supported) with at least one parallel port
    •32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (64-bit versions will not work)
    •1Ghz CPU
    •512MB RAM
    •Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJR22013 View Post
    I would like some opinions on purchasing a refurbished computer to run Mach 3 for my cnc conversion of a G0704 mill. There really isn't anything local to purchase, so I am going buy online. There are a lot of Dell OptiPlex systems on sale at Newegg, etc. Any problems with them and issues with any other brands/models? I could get something like the following HP: Refurbished: HP Desktop Computer DC5100 Pentium 4 2.8GHz 2GB DDR2 80GB HDD Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Newegg.com
    Requirements if using the parallel port for machine control:
    •Desktop PC (Laptops are not supported) with at least one parallel port
    •32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (64-bit versions will not work)
    •1Ghz CPU
    •512MB RAM
    •Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher

Thanks
    Laptops are supported. It'll add to the cost. A uc100 or smoothstepper can communicate with a laptop.

Those pcs look perfect for a dedicated machine control pc.

Re: Computer suggestions to run Mach 3

Some Dells have problems if you are running with LPT port. I'm not sure which models though. I encountered timing issues with a Dell a few years back when I was using printer port.
    Or as JSantars adviced you could use a Smoothstepper or UC100 these work with ethernet and USB ports, I have both an both work great.