585,760 active members*
3,909 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > CNC Plasma / Oxy Fuel Cutting Machines > Getting ready for a 4x4 build some simple pre build questions

Getting ready for a 4x4 build some simple pre build questions

Hi guys, awesome forum you guys have here. Ive been surfing here for a while and you guys are awesome. I have had my eye on a plasma table for some time now.. A while ago I considered purchasing a turn key table locally and it sold before I got a chance. Lately ive been looking into building a simple direct drive rack&pinion style 4x4 table similar to hotrodfab's 4x2 custom table. I just want to make sure this build isn't going to be too overwhelming once I start with any unforeseeable obsticles that I had not planned for. I have a solid background in metalworking and fabrication so the frame,rails and any thing phical will not be a problem. My main concern is the electronic side of it. I was looking into the candcnc 620- 4 stepper AIO dragoncut kit a computer from candcnc It seems pretty straight forward. Has amyone had zero cnc experience and painlessly used this system + the plasma connection kit for a hypertherm45? As for a z azis ive been looking into a velox with a floating head design already integrated into the unit. The other aspect im not sure on is when I tune the system in mach3. I plan to use the Mach3 / Sheetcam combo.
    Im somw what tech savvy so it will take some adjusting but with some tutorials I think ill be in the right direction. Lastly, im basically down to what rack&pinion to go with. # of teeth diameter, pitch. Ive been looking on mcmaster and they have lots of options. What do you guys think? Any thoughts, ideas/ comments are welcome! Thanks Guys!

Re: Getting ready for a 4x4 build some simple pre build questions

lonzo;

Look forward to seeing what you come up with for a plan. I'm kind of at the same point with trying to get all the pieces figured out. Looking through different build logs I've come up with a few part numbers. The following part numbers for McMaster I pulled from dnelso's build log. Rack (5174t21) Pinion(5172t12). If you are looking for solid lengths of rack greater than 6' you can contact Moore Gear & Mfg. Good luck.

Moore Gear & Mfg.
    PO Box 49
    #2 Hawthorne Dr.
    Hermann, MO 65041
    P 573-486-5415
    F 573-486-3487
    Moore Gear Website

Quote Originally Posted by soapcreek View Post
    lonzo;

Look forward to seeing what you come up with for a plan. I'm kind of at the same point with trying to get all the pieces figured out. Looking through different build logs I've come up with a few part numbers. The following part numbers for McMaster I pulled from dnelso's build log. Rack (5174t21) Pinion(5172t12). If you are looking for solid lengths of rack greater than 6' you can contact Moore Gear & Mfg. Good luck.

Moore Gear & Mfg.
    PO Box 49
    #2 Hawthorne Dr.
    Hermann, MO 65041
    P 573-486-5415
    F 573-486-3487
    Moore Gear Website
    Going to jump into it head first!
    Ordered my candcnc 620-4 ethercut kit, basic software package of mach3 and sheetcam, ordered 3 20* 20 pitch/15 tooth 3/8 bore sprockets and 3 6foot lenghts of matching gear rack. There is a 3 week wait on the dragoncut kit at the moment. I will be pairing a powermax45 to the table. Should easily give me time to get material and build the table and water tray!

Re: Getting ready for a 4x4 build some simple pre build questions

Did you decide to go with direct driver or are you going to run some reduction? What did you decide for gantry plates (custom or off the shelf)?