584,798 active members*
4,373 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Finally came up with a way to mount the DRO. Got an aluminum extrusion and made a cut out for the display and machined two caps on both sides that fit inside the extrusion. Two bolts on top and bottom pull the caps against the display and hold it in place.
    The unit is a Red Lion counter.

Here are some pictures. Still working on the video.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DROFront.jpg   DROSide.jpg   DROSide2.jpg  
    Dennis

Here is a video of the saw:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...00289005179033

Not sure how to make nice videos.
    The blade is on its last leg so that's why I’m cutting slow.

Also added an air brake with a remote to release the brake and move the Y axis for faster positioning on the line to cut.
    Dennis

Just loading your video now Denis. What is your DRO actually reading? Coolant flow, machine ipm, rpm ? Thanks.

Wow, great video. Thanks for loading it :cheers:. That is one BEAST of a machine. Its the biggest indoor DIY machine I've ever seen in my life! Wow.

Are you happy with it at this point?

The DRO is on the Y axis mostly used when cutting backsplashes, so if you need a few 4" splashes just make a full 12 foot cut, reset the DRO move 4.15" make another cut and wala you have a 4" splash with out marking it on the stone or checking with a ruller. The .15" is the blade width.

Happy? yes, but will adding things to it as I go.....

Some people say they were cutting with a rail saw for like ~2 years before they got a bridge saw, after I cut ~10 kitchen with a rail saw that was enought for me!
    Dennis

Here are some more pictures of the recent upgrades.
    The remote for the air brake on the table has three buttons, the silver button lets you rotate the table and the black and red move the Y axis of the saw. Now the setup time to make a cut on a line is three times less. Also the silver button turn on the line laser for ~30 seconds then the laser shuts off. If you just need the laser without moving the table, just tap the silver button. The yellow box is the laser timer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remote.jpg   AirBrakeValve.jpg   AirBrake.jpg   LaserTimer.jpg  

Dennis

Hi Dennis,
    I talked to you a while back. Your saw looks great. I'm finally getting started on mine. Any chance I could swing by and check your saw out?
    Thanks,
    Doug

Finally bought a milling wheel to mill saw table flat. Looks like terazzo floor now.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1043/sawtableql2.jpg

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6...llwheelha4.jpg
    Dennis

thats really cool looking...

Just a update, the saw is running like it did the first day
    Dennis

Fist tune up, realigning the blade to X travel it moved off about 1/8" over 7 feet and not cutting seams well. Now back to normal.

Also a few pictures of the Z axis lift motor with the rotating ball nut.

Next upgrade will a AC motor for the Z.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4668/railgq3.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3223/zalljj3.jpg
    http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/376/zclosecn0.jpg
    Dennis

Dennis

We have been moving to a new building for a while. During the down time decided to update the saw to be more productive and easier to use. Extended the bridge two feet on right side and mounted the control panel and control boxes to ride with the bridge. Installed a 3 phase motor for the Z. Moved the Y drive motor to bridge also so the chains are now fixed to the legs. Made a different rotating base for the table. Now it lifts without attaching the hydraulic cylinders like with old setup, now just push the on button for pump and hold the control lever up or down. Updated the air brake for the table rotation. And the best update is the 12 channel remote, have all the movements on it as the control panel and makes it so quick for positioning a cut! I'm working on a larger waterproof remote to replace the little white one.

All the pictures here:

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/denniscnc/
    Dennis

Hi Dennis, maybe you can tell me why granite shops have a saw cnc and a routing cnc, why not have one machine that does both. it seams like it would simplify things.

Quote Originally Posted by chimpera View Post
    Hi Dennis, maybe you can tell me why granite shops have a saw cnc and a routing cnc, why not have one machine that does both. it seams like it would simplify things.
    maybe so you can cut while you are routing?

What russ said, the saw in the shop is the fastest producer of all stone machinery. About 60% of the cut parts dont need a cnc to get finished. A line polishing machine is the next best tool in industry. You load a straight granite part in one end and by the time it gets to the other end the edge is finished, but it can only do straight runs. This is were the cnc router comes in to do the L sections and odd shapes and sink cutouts. There are cnc routers that have a ATC attachment that the spindle grabs that have a regular blade for the straight cuts but then you still need to separate the parts so the profiling bit has room. A buddy of mine in the stone biz also just got the first of this type of machine from Breton in Italy. But the price is 1/3 of million. You can see it here:http://stoneadvice.com/forum/viewtop...7228f1822c0201
    Dennis

Few days ago the X axis VFD died, bummer, right!? I have a stash of VFDs for other projects on a shelf, so I pulled one out some type of Lenze brand and since I know what every wire does in this thing I was back in action cutting in a hour or so. Nice to work on things that you build your self don't need to sit on the phone with tech support....in...Europe.
    Dennis

Re: My DIY Stone Bridge Saw

Saw has been running almost every day since the build. Added a better remote control few days ago.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saw remote.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	265176
    Dennis

Nice'

very good project. have many buck spend for this. I want to build one too. ı havent got too much money . ı dont want to fail. Confuse about gantry. CAn you help me about tips . Thank you. My email [email protected]

Page 2 of 3 123