584,860 active members*
5,008 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

My DIY Stone Bridge Saw

Here are some pics of the saw that my Dad and I built.
    Travel is 14x14 feet, spindle is 10HP, X Y drive motors are 3ph 1.5HP, the Z motor is a 1HP DC with brake. The table lifts up and rotates.

Before this we were cutting with a rail saw,,,not fun.

Still working on the covers for the THK rails......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AllFront.jpg   ControlBoxes.jpg   ControlInside.jpg   ControlPanel.jpg  

FrontCutting.jpg   OverAll.jpg  
    Dennis

Very Cool. One hell of a diy! Congrats on the (near) completion.

wow!

Jason

That's really awsome! Do you have any picture on a ready piece?

^^ Do you mean, stone that was cut on the saw? I'll take some pics tomarrow. But the edges are razor sharp and does not chip the buttom or cross cut corners. We used a rail saw like the Blue Ripper before this and this thing makes wayyyy nicer cuts.

I'm felling a CNC next for the sink holes that every one, very dislikes doing.
    Dennis

nice work, any build pictures or detail pics, ie frame, linear motion set up etc?

Here are some pictures of the bridge and Z axis and a few others. The big THK's are SR85 and rated at 37,000lb each block, I know it was thousand time over kill but they were available for a good price. The Z axis has a rotating nut ball screw and two SR20 rails with six blocks. The steel plate is 1" thick. We used a chain for the drive system because it was a easy alternative to other methods and we don't need positioning accuracy as with CNC. Everything turned out excellent. There are limit switches on all axis as I found that the motors will rip the chain like nothing if the bump stop is hit. The chain is iso 40 rated at 4,000lb. There is a green line laser to help with positioning the cut. The blade is a silent core 16".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridge.jpg   Pump.jpg   ZAxis.jpg   Side.jpg  

Side2.jpg  
    Dennis

thanks for details, what a beast!

wow!!

Very impressive!
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Is there a coolant supply for while cutting?

^^ Yeah, there is a 3hp water pump pumping 250 gal of water every 30 minutes. The water gets cleaned and recycled.

It's pretty fun cutting with this thing
    Dennis

Very nice! It certainly looks like a hugh improvement over the rail saw!

Kevin Emery Jr
    GMR Quality Stone Products
    [email protected]
    c: 248-867-9875

Any pics of the rotary table, I am building a brige saw also and am having a hard time coming up with the design of the rotary

Thanks in advance

The table was a hard one, so we found a rotating base from a man-lift and used that. We were thinking for a long while on how to make it raise up a rotate. I'll make some pictures tomarrow.
    Dennis

Here are some pictures of the table up, the blue rams on both side are attached manualy to the table with the nuts on both side, it's a low tech way but works. My head was getting big from thinking to much on how to make the rams under the table.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SawTable.jpg   SawTable2.jpg   SawTable3.jpg  
    Dennis

Hey DennisCNC,

Hey DennisCNC,

Where are you guys located? I'd love to talk with you someday on the subject of building machines. Can I give you a call sometime?

Robert
    336-364-1561
    www.robertmihaly.com

DRO Upgrade

I added a DRO on the Y axis, here are some pics. Still working on how to mount the display an easy way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DROBolt.jpg   DroShaftTread.jpg   EncoderBolt.jpg   EncoderMounted.jpg  

Dennis

We need VIDEOS!!!

My camera when snowboarding for a few weeks, so when it's back i'll make a video.

Here is a pic of a 3 volt regulator that I needed to make for the Green line laser as it died after a week of use at 5 volts. They said it was 5 volts and latter told me it was a new model and needs 3 volts, but the company sent me a new one! It's a LM317 regulator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Regulator 3v.jpg  
    Dennis

Page 1 of 3 123