585,578 active members*
4,200 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting Tool Suggestions

Could some one suggest a basic list of cutting and shaping tools that I can start with on my machine? I will be using aluminum stock, mostly rod, to work with.

I have a basic clamping kit, 1 2 3 blocks, some machinst squares, a dial gage and magnetic stand. Any suggestions for other tooling I need to have?

I have completed the addition of ball screws, changed the oil in the gear box, cleaned the machine, and am looking forward to learning how to work with my bridgemill.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, I take it you're a tradesman? If not, it's going to be brainsurgery with a tin opener.
    Here's a list of tools you just must have:-
    0-1" micrometer,
    Depth micrometer,
    6" dial vernier caliper, not electronic type,
    6" ruler,
    set of parallels from 1/2" to 1-1/2" 1/8" thick,
    lead hammer,
    sticky pin,
    Edge finder,
    1/2" keyless drill chuck and arbor,
    end mills and slot drills 1/8" to 3/4",
    If R8 spindle set of collets for cutters'
    8"- 10" milling vice,
    set of Morse taper sockets,
    Set of HSS drills 1/16" to 1/2" by 1/64"'s
    1/2" diam. 90 deg countersink drill.
    Set of telescopic gauges or inside micrometre set.
    Boring head and arbor.
    Good 2" hand magnifying glass,
    Hand deburring tool,
    Trig tables and thread guide,
    Safety glasses,
    Small finger type dial indicator and holder,
    Pencil and note book,
    Tin box to put it all in.
    Luxury items:-
    Height gauge,
    set of gauge blocks,
    Surface plate,
    Precision pin set,
    Dividing head,
    Rotary table,
    Tool & cutter grinder,
    Slotting attachment,
    Horizontal spindle adaptor,
    Small 1 ton hoist to lift vices and dividing heads from table,
    plus too many other hand tools to name.
    I hope this helps you.
    Ian.

Cutting Tool Suggestions

Thanks Ian for a very comprehensive list. Any suggestions for cutting and shaping tools?

A tradesman? Well, I am a ceramic designer/artist/craftsperson by trade and am looking to augment my skills and learn about new materials and processes that I can include in my ceramic design work. I have been working on a new line ot tabletop ware in clay that can incorporate some machined and anodized aluminum parts that I would like to fabricate, so some basic cutting and shaping tool suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks again

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, I would think that most of the stuff on the list would be suited to a person who is very active in an engineering environment as that's where I'm from.
    I would have a look on Ebay as they have collections of end mills and various cutters at very good prices.
    You would have to know what operations and materials you are going to work with to outlay for specific tooling.
    E.G. if you are running a CNC set-up then you would probably need Carbide cutters for example. A whole different ballgame to manual milling.
    The problem is if you have no experiance with milling then you'll need some person to either get you going or attend a tech class to get the basics, otherwise it can be expensive apart from the danger.
    Ian.