584,841 active members*
4,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HELP: K40 chinese laser won't cut in wood

Hi

I have this chinese K40 laser that cuts and engraves fine in acrylic and many other materials. It engraves perfectly in wood, but I can't make it cut my 3 mm Plywood. Either it won't cut all the way through or it will make a burned edge so bad that it looks bad. I tried with all speeds and all power settings I could think of. Is there something I can do? It only works with this poor chinese software called Moshidraw left and I haven't been able to find a useable manual, so all I know was learned by just trying things.

Re: HELP: K40 chinese laser won't cut in wood

air assist, as much as possible...

What focal lens do you have ? certainly a 50,8, if it so , change for a 38,1 it will more cocentrate the laser beam.
    You may also take a look of your laser beam path.

Air assist? I dont even know what that is?? I dont think my cutter has it?

Hello Friend
    Good day

Your machine is K40 , its software called Moshidraw , your machine is laser stamp machine , its laser power should 40w -50w , so cut 3mm Plywood is not possible . cut 3mm plywood need 80w laser power , if Monshidraw system is poor ,please use RuiDa and Lettro laser operating system .
    if you have any other question , please send me a email , [email protected]

AccTeck CNC

Jinan AccTek Machinery Co., Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Acctek CNC View Post
    Hello Friend
    Good day

Your machine is K40 , its software called Moshidraw , your machine is laser stamp machine , its laser power should 40w -50w , so cut 3mm Plywood is not possible . cut 3mm plywood need 80w laser power ,

AccTeck CNC

WRONG !! I cut 5mm plywood with 50w laser , moshisoft motherboard and moshidraw.
    K40 can cut 3 mm plywood if it have a good focal lens !!!
    80 W to cut 3mm plywood ??? it's a joke ! with that power you can cut 10mm plywood and a little bit more !

@Designz: air assist is a tube that comes on the head and rely to a compressor or air pump.

Ok two questions for that:
    1: A good focal lens? Does that mean I should buy another focal lens? I found this upgrade kit, but I am not sure I am able to upgrade it myself: AWC608 DSP upgrade kit for D/K40 small CO2 laser machine

2: An air assist is also something to buy I guess?? Can you send a link?

Do you have any links where I can buy different focal lenses to the K40??

18mm Laser head w/ air assisted. Ideal for K40 machine

You can also print it woth a 3d printer, make a search on thingiverse.

and for the focal lens you can find on aliexpress or alibaba or ebay:

Vente en gros laser lens focal 38.1 - Achetez des Lots

The DSP is not an obligation to cut 3 mm plywood but it's far better than the moshisoft motherbard.

OK. Some people should not even post. The K40 machine is more than adequate to cut 3mm plywood. I do it everyday with mine. My machine has been converted to the very AWC608 that you are referring to. As Elaser mentioned above, you need to have air assist. Air assist (as far as I am concerned) is necessary to keep the wood from catching fire, but it also can provide extra oxygen to the cut to give if more 'umph'. I cut mainly with a 50.8mm lens or also known as a 2" lens. I cut 1/4" with my machine. My K40 is over 3 years old now and it is still going strong. I have replaced the tube once. There is a huge learning curve with the Moshidraw software. Converting to a DSP is a definite go if you can. It is not all that difficult if you take your time and triple check all of you work. I do not get to this forum much anymore, but will check back now and then to see how you are getting along.

Milt

I agree with mondo50m, and I can say also that air assist helps to protect the lens from smoke.
    To cut 3mm plywood you also need to find the good distance from the head to the material and verify the path of the laser beam. the laser bam must be centered the best you can at all position.
    The best to do that is to put very low power and use a thermal paper. But you can also do it with normal paper. here is a video to explain(you can find other video on youtube):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt4FPiktggU

how to find the focus distance(the line is thinner at the best distance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD9b40hxIYE

You can also find a lot of video on the web showing K40 cutting 3 mm plywood with only 40W laser

If you have a 40w laser tube so a 38.1 mm focal lens is perfect, you will be able to cut with a DOF of 6/7 mm and engrave with a high precision !

[QUOTE=Mcbride19;1709954]WRONG !! I cut 5mm plywood with 50w laser , moshisoft motherboard and moshidraw.
    K40 can cut 3 mm plywood if it have a good focal lens !!!
    80 W to cut 3mm plywood ??? it's a joke ! with that power you can cut 10mm plywood and a little bit more !

As follow , our customer cut plywood some experience , its laser tube is RECI z4 , if you use 50W cut , I think it move like earthworm , so if you main cut the plywood , please choose bigger power laser tube, thanks

4mm plywood = 25mm/s at 100% power

6mm plywood = 20mm/s at 100% power

9mm plywood = 10mm/s at 100% power

6mm MDF = 10mm/s at 100% powe

Kind regards
    Frank

Still a joke !!!
    The more you use power the less time your tube will live !
    I cut 5 mm plywood at 8mm/s and 48% of power
    3 mm plywood at 22 % power and 13mm/s

When I look at your numbers it seems that your laser engravers are not really efficient , my friend use a 80w laser tube and cut at 24mm/s a 5 mm plywood at 41% of power and 5 mm MDFat 50% of power and 11mm/s.

So my conclusion: or my friend is a fantastic engineer that knows really well laser and who is able to do fantastic adjustements to obtain that(I don't think so) or your engineers doen't know enough(or doesn't want) to make real efficient laser engravers(I won't lie to you it's my opinion).

To tell someone that it needs a 80w to cut 3mm plywood is a lie that's all, you can see a lot of videos from users all around the web that proove that 40w laser can cut 3mm plywood. I understand that you are here for commercial, but it isn't a reason to give wrong informations to new users !!!

Sincerely yours

PS: and what about that machine, it's supposed to be a laser cuting machine with 40w laser tube....................one of your products !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ho !! what do we have here ? .....As I can read .....it supposed to cut wood !

AccTek AKJ6040 mini laser engraver - laser engraving cutting machine_Jinan Acctek Machinery - Jinan AccTek Machinery Co., Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbride19 View Post
    Still a joke !!!
    The more you use power the less time your tube will live !
    I cut 5 mm plywood at 8mm/s and 48% of power
    3 mm plywood at 22 % power and 13mm/s

When I look at your numbers it seems that your laser engravers are not really efficient , my friend use a 80w laser tube and cut at 24mm/s a 5 mm plywood at 41% of power and 5 mm MDFat 50% of power and 11mm/s.

So my conclusion: or my friend is a fantastic engineer that knows really well laser and who is able to do fantastic adjustements to obtain that(I don't think so) or your engineers doen't know enough(or doesn't want) to make real efficient laser engravers(I won't lie to you it's my opinion).

To tell someone that it needs a 80w to cut 3mm plywood is a lie that's all, you can see a lot of videos from users all around the web that proove that 40w laser can cut 3mm plywood. I understand that you are here for commercial, but it isn't a reason to give wrong informations to new users !!!

Sincerely yours

PS: and what about that machine, it's supposed to be a laser cuting machine with 40w laser tube....................one of your products !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ho !! what do we have here ? .....As I can read .....it supposed to cut wood !

AccTek AKJ6040 mini laser engraver - laser engraving cutting machine_Jinan Acctek Machinery - Jinan AccTek Machinery Co., Ltd
    Thanks your advice , friend ,I saw your laser video , it cut 3mm wood plate , but we maybe understand diferent for plywood , your video wood is normal soft wood .
    I think plywood is this type :

Kind regards
    Frank

Plywood in France is quite the same as everywhere, I cut "normal" plywood made with wood layers and glue ! Plywood is universal....

The video isn't mine it's just to show how to fiind the best distance for the focal. on the video it's simple wood not plywood and it's not cutting, it's just a tutorial.
    I'm just computer's engineer but I know the difference between wood and plywood...

I think you did not spend much time on the web or you'll have seen a lot of videos showing 40w laser cuting 3mm "normal" plywood !
    You are writing such things like that, but you are selling a k40 with 40w laser tube and in the description you are writing that it cut wood !

I let you think about that

This discussion is over for me, you can try to defend yourself but you were wrong, that's all. Everyone here can see it. Once again I don't mind that you are here for commercial, but writing that a k40 can't cut 3mm plywood is wrong . Every certified users here knows it !

Have a good day !

You may want to give a try on our DSP upgrade package. For sure the K40 can do nice cutting on 3mm plywood. No doubt about it. I was doing upgrade for one of my customer two years ago and I was able to cut through 13mm plywood with speed 1mm/s after the conversion. Well, who knows what laser tube you may get from the K40 as many seller are selling on eBay and price are dropping. I don't see how could them profit from selling it at such low price. The original tube is 720mm in length and it is not what they claimed "40W". In fact, it is about 32W with 16~18mA current. Also, the lens they installed on the machine is lower grade. I put a newer lens If I am not forgotten, I was able to cut 3mm plywood at 10mm/s. Note: do not use 38.1mm but 50.8mm for 3~4mm material cutting. Lower focus lens give you better result on engraving but lost cutting power because it is more intensive on the focus point

Marco
    LightObject