Hi all,

I am in Sunshine, Victoria, Australia.

This is one of my very few Posts. This was first submitted a day or 2 ago and but it did not go straight to the Australia section.

Hope I have done the right thing by re-submitting it. I still think I am bright and intelligent, even at my age, but these Forums confuse the hell out of me.

I recently bought a second hand Laser Cutter and the problem I have getting it to work is driving me crazy.

The machine is an LCV-100 Laser Cutter, manufactured by Laser Life Co in Taiwan. Manufacture date is August 2001. I have the machine, the software and at least some of the serial connection components.
The machine connects to the computer via a serial cable (original) and there is also a Dongle. The Serial cable has DB9 connections each end, but the cable is wired as a straight through cable. That is, pin 1 to pin1, pin 2 to pin 2 etc. It uses wires 1 to 8, with pin 9 not connected but there is a separate earth wire from the body of one connector to the other. The Dongle is fitted with DB25 connectors on both sides.It also has a 4 way dip switch. Every Combination of this switch has been tried with no success.

Software messages are 'can't find controller' and 'please insert dongle'. A couple of settings on the dip switch will produce 'break detected' as well.

I have the machine running to the point where it powers up and homes, with or without the computer attached. The Control Panel on the machine allows for movement of the Cutting Head, Home etc, but no cutting. Cutting is only possible from the software, when I get it to connect, of course. LED's on the panel show the status of the Servos, Laser, Power and an Alarm. With the exception of the Alarm LED, these all seem to function as one would expect.
However, that is as far as I can get.

It seems to me that there is still something missing with the cabling/connections given that some connections are DB9 and some are DB25.

I am just about at the point where I am almost ready to start upgrading to modern electronics, but it seems a shame to even think of doing that.

This machine was in use in a small business until about 5 years ago when its owner passed away suddenly. Since then it has been in storage in his brother's workshop. The brother also has Laser cutter of the same brand but a couple of years more recent.

They are very sturdy and seemingly well made machines. This one weighs in at 360kgs.

X and Y are both powered by Servos. The cutting area is 1300mm X 900mm with no rise & fall.

Is there anyone with a similar machine who can help me with the Serial connection problem.

The original cable is not a standard serial cable as such, given that it has straight through wiring. This cable, 8 wires in all, leads directly into the Motion Controller.

Is it possible that the Dongle fits inside the machine, rather than in the cable line? I have not found a spare DB25 inside the machine yet although I am still looking. At the Motion Controller, the only DB25 is used to connect the Controller to the User Panel on the top of the machine.

I have the original software, but no manual.

I am currently talking with the Manufacturer in Taiwan with no success so far, but I am sure they are trying. Seems that none of their Techs were with the company when this model was new.

If anyone in the Cnczone family can offer any help to get this laser running as it should be, I will be eternally grateful. I can provide photos as needed, just ask for the area of the machine you would like to look at.

If you are close enough, feel free to come and see the problem for yourself. Just send me a PM.

Thanks and best regards,

Albert