585,602 active members*
3,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Linear servo motor with KFLOP

Dear Sirs,

I would like to drive a Parker MX80L Linear servo motor stage with a KFLOP card. The MX80L comes with a .01um encoder with ReniShaw interpolater. The motor stage is driven with a Parker ViX-250IH driver controller.

Reading the manual for the drive it will accept step/dir, differential analog, or CW/CCW signals as input. My plan was to provide step/dir signals via JP5 pins 1 and 2. I configured KFLOP as Step/dir outputting on CH4.

I have not been able to get it to work.

When I try to view the output (JP5) on my PC scope I see a faint signal (mv) not the 3.3v I expected.

Willing to forget the ViX drive if Snap amp will work.

Need Help,

Carlos

Re: Linear servo motor with KFLOP

You need to check if the step & dir on the parker drive is ttl or 24vdc

The Parker Drive is configurable for 5v or 12v input.

Hi Carlos,

Using standard Step/Dir Generator channel numbers the generators operate in "open collector" mode which is like a switch to GND. You won't see much of anything unless you have a load connected to a supply. Adding 8 to the channel number will switch to to drive the pins in 3.3V LVTTL mode. See:
    Step and Direction Setup

If you provide a link to your drive manual and a page number where the input type is specified we may be able to help more.

0.01um resolution is very high. If that is real than at KFLOP's max encoder rate of 1MHz the max speed will be 10mm/sec (600mm/min). This is assuming you would like to feed back the encoder position to KFLOP.

The Max Step rate for KFLOP Step/Dir is 2.5MHz.

Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Tom,

That was it ! Set output to Ch12...Now I can see the 3.3v signal on my scope.

The manual link is:
    http://www.parkermotion.com/manuals/...IH_UG_7-03.pdf

PFD File page 43-45 or ( Manual page 37-39) offer a brief description of user inputs.

I chose the Parker MX80L with .01um resolution because I would like to hold and repeat position to 0.5um. The slower speed is not problem since the distances are relatively small.

I am considering using Snap Amp or Kanolog if they will interface with the stage and give me better control. The ViX software has none of the tuning aids Dynomotion has.

Thanks for the help Tom,

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

We'd have to see the motor specs to see if SnapAmp could drive it. I suspect it could. SnapAmp can drive most small motors if the voltage needed is less than 80V.

Kanalog should interface to the drive to control it using +/-10V analog velocity or torque command.

But even with Step/Dir to the drive you should be able to test the tuning in the drive using the KMotion Step Response Screen if you have encoder Feedback back to KFLOP.

Let us know how it goes.
    Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com