585,735 active members*
4,745 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help controller and software

I hope this is the right forum its at least 50% I think
    I have my gantry style milling machine 90 percent done and started wiring
    The Emerson 4000 Axima 4 axis controller to the En 204 and En 208 drives.
    With some 750 kilowatt MGM 316 drives one with a brake for the x axis.
    I had a few questions about the installation and gave them a call
    emersonct.com they also go by control techniques.

Talked to a nice guy basically he said the Axima is not a CNC controller
    And I need a CNC controller and software to do what I want.
    The servos and drives seem like good parts I would like to keep them on
    I would just like to find the controller and software like the guy suggested.

And get this thing finished I have seen some people using this brand servo here
    And most likely know just what I need please help.
    Let me know what you think would be the best controller and software.

Something I could use a program like Mastercam for creating stuff
    Would also be a plus feel free to request any other information?
    You might need for considering candidates.

I am willing to send links to pictures or whatever is needed.
    This will be a great help for me and
    if there is anything I can do in return
    Let me know

the axima manuals
    emersonct.com/download_usa/Manuals_AXIMA.htm
    the en manuals
    emersonct.com/download_usa/Manuals_En.htm

I found some threads on the servos and sort of similar drives but nothing on the
    Controllers or software they where using.
    if you know one point me in the right direction thanks

Looks like the drives take ±10v control signal, so if you use it with a step and direction system like Mach etc you will need a analogue to S/D convertor board.
    As per your PM, the Galil series should control these, no problem, but the 1500 series you mention are a standalone controller and there is limited software to run them in a CNC format out there, apart from the Galil Native language.
    You either need to go the cheaper way of Mach2/3 etc or go with something like Parker/MotionMax or Galil/Camsoft true closed loop systems, both PC based and G code capable.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Art has the Galil plugin for Mach3 running g-code now, but expects it to be a few more months before all the details are ironed out. Here's a quote from Art on the current status.

We now have a Cincinatti Mill running Mach3 in true closed loop on a Galil servo system. This monster is huge, there is a video to be posted yet showing Brian standing on it as it moves about in Gcode. Needless to say to get something weighing in at as many tons as this thing is takes smooth movement, and we seem to have it running pretty well. Still lots to be done, but its gratifying to see it move properly. Probably the largest Mach3 mill running anywhere. So the Galil does seem to work, but before you start snapping up a Galil card, first, they are quite expensive, so definitley not just a general replacement for a printer port. Second, we arent using it in a typical fashion, with all the Galils complex formulas , commands and capabilities, we use about 5 commands or so. We had to use it much as Mach3 uses a printer driver, in a contour mode. We found the Galil very limited in its actual modes, when it comes to CNC work. For example, Galils dont like to do circles in any more than 2 axis, trying to get 6 axis moves in a galil is a royal pain. Moving to a 4ms trajectory planning interplation seemed the only way to do it, though 2ms is also available to us. We still dont know how well it will all work out, but Brian is pretty happy and psyched with it as it stands. The upside is it allows movement in alll axis at once, and in very complex ways that a standard Galil installation could not do. In fact, the Cincinatti could not be driven by the normal CamSoft software, it just wasnt possible. Mach3 is driving it better than it has ever moved
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you I will get right on trying to figure out my options
    One question about the board you mention do I need one for each drive
    And if possible have you heard of any you might recommend
    I know sometimes people use certain products from manufactures
    And there products are dependable I just haven’t had much experience
    In electronics yet and don’t know what brands are good