584,829 active members*
5,037 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > machining from stock
Page 1 of 2 12

machining from stock

hopefully somebody can help me out here.
    I'm fairly new to bobcad, purchased v4 for solidworks about month ago.
    problem I'm running into, is machining from stock. bobcad is still creating toolpaths where there is no material.
    can someone help me out here?
    thanx

Re: machining from stock

Hmmm, I guess I can't even open your file at all because my V4 is an older version.

I would have thought Solidworks would open the part file anyway as it has nothing to do with BobCAM. I may have to contact support to see if this is appropriate behavior.

Anyway, I was going to try to help but you will have to wait for another user with the same build as your V4.

I can open the file with V27 Demo,,,I get no CAM though.

thanx for trying guys
    to explain it a little better, I cut the profile of the part on op.1 down to a depth of 1 1/2". which leaves a step or ledge all the way around the stock material.
    now on op.2, once I get down to the ledge of the stock, bobcad still runs a toolpath in air, down to the full depth of the part.
    on the cam software I was using, it see that there is no more stock there, and wouldn't create a toolpath.
    I'm just wondering if bobcad can do this, or am I missing something?
    thanx

Yes and no.
    If I am understanding you correctly,some of the 3D paths will do what you are explaining by setting them up correctly.
    If you are talking about 2 complete different OP's,,,there is a feature in Simulation,that you can save the simulation from OP1 as an.STL file and use it for OP2.
    But it is an .stl file so there is limited uses.

right
    I have a solid part to represent what was machined in op1.
    using that said solid part, I want to machine from stock, the solid part, to the geometry of the finished part.
    I cannot get bobcad to stop once it hits open air. it still creates a toolpath to cut nothing.

Here is 3 complete separate OP's (not features,but Operations,as in Set-ups) In the CAM Tree I created 3 machine set-ups.Am I getting this right ?Someone with V4 that could look at your file would be key.But I will try.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsEMwFWzKoc

Quote Originally Posted by MargoCNC View Post
    thanx for trying guys
    to explain it a little better, I cut the profile of the part on op.1 down to a depth of 1 1/2". which leaves a step or ledge all the way around the stock material.
    now on op.2, once I get down to the ledge of the stock, bobcad still runs a toolpath in air, down to the full depth of the part.
    on the cam software I was using, it see that there is no more stock there, and wouldn't create a toolpath.
    I'm just wondering if bobcad can do this, or am I missing something?
    thanx
    sorry, op2 is the bottom side of op1. so to run op2 you flip the part over. hope that makes more sense.

Yeah,someone with V4 is going to have to help I think.

In case you did not know,,,,https://www.youtube.com/user/Depoalo...view=0&sort=dd

Hi jrmach
    What version of solidworks?
    I have solidworks 2013 with V4
    but it comes up with error when loading

I'm running solidworks2015 and bobcamv4

I don't have Solidworks,,I have the latest Build of V27 3 axis Mill Pro "DEMO"

Sorry Buddie
    I can not help wrong version of Solidworks I have

If you are running one of the 3D toolpaths then they generally require a "boundary" to limit the tool paths to the area you want to machine.

Check out the "After Dark" videos on You Tube

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

I'm running solidworks2015 and bobcamv4
    Ok, that explains why I couldn't open the part file at all, I was using 2014. My SW 2015 will open the drawing but my V4 is out of date so I still can't open the toolpaths.

I have downloaded the V4 update but I won't install until I get home. It's been a day I'm ready for a frosty one.

Quote Originally Posted by SBC Cycle View Post
    Ok, that explains why I couldn't open the part file at all, I was using 2014. My SW 2015 will open the drawing but my V4 is out of date so I still can't open the toolpaths.

I have downloaded the V4 update but I won't install until I get home. It's been a day I'm ready for a frosty one.

Your in good hands now Margo

thanx for helping a guy out y'all.
    still haven't figured out how to confine the toolpaths to the stock model???

thanx for helping a guy out y'all.
    still haven't figured out how to confine the toolpaths to the stock model???
    Create boundaries, try saving your model out as a .STEP format file, zip it up and upload here, that way folks can at least see what the issue is, also a couple of screen grabs would help as well

Regards
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    Create boundaries, try saving your model out as a .STEP format file, zip it up and upload here, that way folks can at least see what the issue is, also a couple of screen grabs would help as well

Regards
    Rob
    Thanx

Creating boundaries isn't my answer. The part is mounted on sine plate at an angle. So my boundaries vary Dependant on my z depth.

I'll step the file out and maybe a cple scrnshots tomorrow, as right now I'm off the clock and its beer'thirty!

Ok, got the latest V4 loaded.

In a nutshell (and I do mean a nutshell) if you run the first pass of the advanced rough in the simulation, stop, save stock, then load the stock into the stock wizard, this will eliminate a majority of the air cutting moves for additional Advanced Roughing feature passes. This leverages the fact the Advanced Rough will always optimize the toolpath based on the "stock".

This is advanced usage of BobCAD. I played with your file for about an hour and I saved 42 minutes of machine run time by tweaking the toolpath just a little. This time is probably a bit exaggerated because I am working in "Demo" mode and not the full version of V4.

The machinist side of me says to reduce your "intermediate" steps from 10 to 5. This will save 21 minutes (or 7%) of your machine time alone.

With the "advanced" usage I can trim the cycle time almost an hour with just a fairly simple change but it is complex to explain how I would do it.

Attached are 3 screenshots. The first is your original toolpath and cycle time. The second is your original toolpath and a "intermediate:" setting of 5 instead of 10, the third is 2 Advanced rough toolpaths at the "intermediate" setting of 10 as you originally programmed but optimized by refreshing the stock after the first cut.

It would take a bit of time to explain what I did but here are the results of what I would do to improve the cycle time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BCC_V4-Adv-Rough-10_step.jpg   BCC_V4-Adv-Rough-5_step.jpg   BCC_V4-Adv-Rough-10_step-opt.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12