586,005 active members*
5,321 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X3/SX3/G0619/G0463 > SX3 Speed controller / buttons issue

SX3 Speed controller / buttons issue

Hi

This is my first post here. I'm in Australia.

-5 C this moning, but +4 C in my workshop, so all good....

I have an SX3 mill wich works fine, although not long after got it I had to re-seat the speed display to get it to work properly - all OK now.

I have an isse with speed control. I used to be able to put the mill in "forward" or "reverse" then gently jog the quill rotation speed up and down using the up and down arrows.

Now I am havng problems - the only way I can get the speed to go up or down is hold in the up or down arrows untll you hear the normal "beeeeeeeeeeeep" and then the speed ramps up quickly, but to stop it at the desired speed I press the green start button, which then maintains the speed. The arrow buttons "click" but dont always work ever time.

Clearly this is a fault, any idea of best fix for it please?

I toyed with idea of ripping out buttons and putting in proper switches , but wasnt sure if it was a known fault or whether the issue lies with perhaps a cotroller board instead.

Apologies for posting in 2 spots, but this is driving me bonkers.

One thought that is going through my head is whether its worth replacing the speed controllers etc with 3rd party controllers.

Is it also woth having a mains surge protector on the machine?

Cheers

Steve

Re: SX3 Speed controller / buttons issue

I have been having the same issue, mostly with just speed down, but today the speed up and down buttons failed completely. So now all's I have access to is the slowest 100 rpm, rendering the poor Sx3 useless really.

Have already pulled the front control board and jumped the solder points to see if it was a switch failure. It was not the switch sadly. I don't quite know where to go next, start checking board traces maybe?
    I'm pretty sure the issue has something to do with vibrational damage, as some of the wierd electrical issues flare up after rattling the machine hard.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, this happened right in the middle of doing some parts that need to go out very soon.

Interesting comment re vibrational damage - mine has died completely* during a heavy vibrating cut - not sure if relatted to the vibration or me pushing it too hard.

I just get a weird chirping formthe panel beepper on power up nothing else - have replied similarly on the SX3 blowing main fuse thread

Alright so my sx3 is still having issues with the speed controller buttons not working, but I have figured out a trick that has kept my machine going strong for about 6 months now.

All's I do is give it a hard punch (just like Fonzie from happy days on the juke box) in the black encasing right above where the 110v AC goes into the Sx3.

You can even hold the speed up or down while whacking the machine to immediately see the change. I also do it if my machine is making the chirp nosies when it isn't supposed to.

Sometimes it takes a whack or two, but it always works for me. Let me know if this works for anyone else.