585,948 active members*
3,684 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Plans for a CNC Router

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. This is my first post.

I looking for the best plans to build a CNC Router. I have done some searching and have been overwhelmed with the amount of free and plans that must be purchased. I am looking for plans that are easy to follow and complete. I would like them to tell me everything I need including things like motors and possibly where to get them. This is my first CNC anything so I need alot of guidance. Here are some links to ones I have seen. Tell me which to stay away from and possible other I have not seen.

Rockcliff Machine http://www.stonehook.net/cnchome.htm

Solsylva Plans http://www.solsylva.com/cnc/1aplanshome.html

Big Bear CNC http://www.bigbearcnc.com/

This look realy nice, but the plans are really expensive and it looks like making the machine is to. Is this something I should be leaning towards.

Data Cut http://www.data-cut.com/Index.html

CAD Cut http://www.inshorepowerboats.com/cnc.../CNCROUTER.htm

******* Addition Info *********

After further research I have have set my budget to stay under or around $700. I'd like to be able to mill peices say 20" x 20" from materials like wood, plexi, and soft metals.

It also seems to me that the Solsylva Plans do not have enough information relating the the electronics part that I will need.

I also want to add that i'd like to use a router like a Porter Cable or Dewalt instead of a Dremel.

Further down in the posts I have posted pictures of examples of thing i'd like to accomplish iwth my machine.

The first 3 can be built for few hundred dollars. The last 2 will cost a few thousand. What's your budget, and what do you plan on using the machine for?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I guess since this is my first one i'd like to stay under $700. I'd like to be able to mill peices say 20" x 20" from materials like wood, plexi, and soft metals. I just want plans that will tell me step by step what I need to do.

Smile

I built the rockcliff machine the plans were very well done, and it was very simple to build, I have been using the CNC for about 4 months for mostly cutting wood parts for my RC planes, I made the MDF version, but the plans also included all the screw locations to build one from plastic or aluminum, I don'nt have a drill press, so the MDF version was perfect for me.

BigBear Completed

I finished my BigBear machine a week ago, it was a pretty easy build. It was under $700, using all new materials, steppers, controller,etc. It works very well so far. I have a Dremel on it now, the cut show in the pic was made with a small 1/8" v-bit on the Dremel. I have a trim router I am mounting now....more power! The Dremel sounds like it's going to explode!

I had posted the same question about which machine to build as a first machine and I got no replies. I just thought the plastic might be easier to deal with on my first machine. I am going to be cutting wood and plastic with my machine, so it seems to be a good start.

I am using Mach3 to drive it so far.... easy to setup with my controller/motor kit from StepperWorld.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGA0284.jpg   IMGA0261.jpg   IMGA0246.jpg   IMGA0237.jpg  

IMGA0176.jpg   IMGA0278.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by buddym View Post
    I finished my BigBear machine a week ago, it was a pretty easy build. It was under $700, using all new materials, steppers, controller,etc. It works very well so far. I have a Dremel on it now, the cut show in the pic was made with a small 1/8" v-bit on the Dremel. I have a trim router I am mounting now....more power! The Dremel sounds like it's going to explode!

I had posted the same question about which machine to build as a first machine and I got no replies. I just thought the plastic might be easier to deal with on my first machine. I am going to be cutting wood and plastic with my machine, so it seems to be a good start.

I am using Mach3 to drive it so far.... easy to setup with my controller/motor kit from StepperWorld.
    Sorry you did not get any replies, Myself i just did not see the post.

But the machine looks nice.

What Plastic material did you use?

joe

I used HDPE for the frame and Delrin for the bearings (slides) and nuts. No prob on the replies, there are so many requests for comments by first builders, they just fly by. ANYONE building this machine, please use a drill press vise to hold the parts when drilling the larger holes in the plastic!!! The bit grabs the plastic just before exit on the backside and it will cut you badly! (too embarrassed to post a photo of my injury)

It came out better than I expected, and it works much better than anticipated. Appearence is a little sloppy since I did not cut the guide rods to fit the machine, except on the Z axis. This way if I ever want to I can stretch the X and Y without buying new rods.

Mods I have made are to add fans to the steppers and resistors. I plan to remove the motors and attach heatsinks between the frame and motors.

The BigBear plans were very straight forward, and you don't need a CAD program (or degree) to read them.

My steppers and controller came from StepperWorld. Again, very easy to setup, worked on the first try.

Like so many have said here, building the machine turns out to be the easy part. Learning to use CAD and how it applies to your machine is the harder part, or at least it is for me.

BTW, I am looking for G-code to play with, if anyone has free files for anything cool, please email to [email protected]

thanks

BTW, I am looking for G-code to play with, if anyone has free files for anything cool, please email to [email protected]

thanks
    you can always cut out the dinasours and other 3d puzzles.

joe

spalm's spiro program is very cool.
    Steve
    DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S WRONG!

Where did you get the HDPE and Delrin?

I am in Tampa and I got the plastic from Total Plastics (www.totalplastics.com) It's expensive compared to MDF, but man is it easy to work, stiff, and holds a thread well when tapped.

I am looking for G-code to play with...
    There's some gcode out under http://www.cncdudez.com ( specifically http://www.cncdudez.com/examples.html ). Interesting site I might add.

I am in Tampa and I got the plastic from Total Plastics (www.totalplastics.com) It's expensive compared to MDF, but man is it easy to work, stiff, and holds a thread well when tapped.
    Also the cost of plastic (potrolium products) have gone way up sense the gas prices went up, and unlike gas prices they will not lower the cost of materials.

Here are some projects that other members have completed that I would like my machine to beable to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB516 View Post
    Here are some projects that other members have completed that I would like my machine to beable to do.
    Better ante up for Vectric VCarvePRO 3.x then.

Great Program(s) + Great Support = Spectacular Results

Spectacular Results = Vectric VCarvePRO

I'm savin' my pennies and trying to convince my wife I need new software toy(s). 'Tis the season. Poppa's got plenty of shoes, what he really needs is VCarvePRO ,
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay View Post
    Better ante up for Vectric VCarvePRO 3.x then.

Great Program(s) + Great Support = Spectacular Results

Spectacular Results = Vectric VCarvePRO

I'm savin' my pennies and trying to convince my wife I need new software toy(s). 'Tis the season. Poppa's got plenty of shoes, what he really needs is VCarvePRO ,
    Yea I was looking into that program but first I need a machine

pappa's got plenty of shoes... hehehehe thats hilarious... apparently my wife has 14,000 feet, cause just about every week she comes home with new shoes... AND THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

lol HayTay, hope you get VCarvePro in your christmas stocking! You'll probably have it before me at this stage!

Im planning to build the Solsylva machine incidentally DAB. There's some good threads about it on the zone and a few people have it built already. The plans are straightforward, and give you online sources for the materials. They don't cover the electronics, because they recommend either the pre-built Xylotex kit, or the HobbyCNC kit that comes with its own instructions.

mwalach here (aka Bigbearcnc), glad to see pics of people that have made my machine. I have built a few other models, but I still love the original the best. I have been working on drawings for a newer model with less parts, but I keep going back to the simpler is better approach. My main focus now is software. I hope to get it working soon so I can offer it to people who use my machines. I am looking for a simple cnc interface for the average Joe that doesn't need all the bells and whisltes. Plus I am looking to go cross platform Mac and windows, with a USB interface. I will start a thread here when I get closer to a release.

Anyway, nice job on the build, and thank you for the kind comments.

MW
    www.bigbearcnc.com

Page 1 of 2 12