584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: G-CODE check

Exclamation G-CODE check

Hi Forum,

I have solidworks, with camworks - Mach3 and a 4 axis sherline mill (Gecko 540)

I am looking at getting the whole setup working smoothly so i can use some of the features in camworks. I have been getting a few G-code errors and it looks like I need to do some work wit the UPG on came works.

I am pretty new to the whole thing and this may seem like a strange question. What is best practice to sort this?

is there a G-code analysis tool i can use etc... where say i plug in the XML I am using for Mach 3 Mill and test against the potential g-code from the post processor??

and lastly - Is the anyway to set limits on the post processor (Ie the actual size of the work are on the mill, correct XYZ etc..) simulation seems a little abstract to what my mill looks like when using the FANUC generic?

Re: G-CODE check

You should not have to do anything with the standard Code Generator within CAMWorks. I occasionally accidentally still use the tutorial Post Processor with an occasional mis-click while programming. Still runs on my HAAS VF3-SS this way. Although the code generated cannot be read from start, so if I notice that I used the wrong post processor I have to manually go into my code and start the program from my first tool change. I have not fished around with it enough to know what is missing or isn't to make it not work alone. I do believe it is just the pre-fix at the start of the code, but I have not even looked into it.

You can set machine limits within CAMWorks I believe, such as spindle RPM MAX and MAX FEED but cannot set actual machine limits to the effect that you are thinking, to my knowledge. I do no use the machine simulator also if you are using that (where it shows the full machine and your part scaled into said machine and shows the machine running the part). So for your last portion I'm not exactly the one to ask on that. I simulate every part but just the part itself, where I occasionally only looking for tool holder collision or tool stick out problems. I hope this helps.
    "The one who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd..."
    -Albert E.

Re: G-CODE check

take a look at cimco edit , i sometimes use that to double check my gcode . short of drawing your machine and importing that into solidworks and camworks for simulation , i don't know a quick way