584,800 active members*
4,425 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Required laser cutter coolant flow rate?

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and what a fantastic resource it is! I have been playing with CNC machines for a few years, but I am new to laser cutters having only owned one for roughly a month.

I have searched for some info on this, however what I have been able to find is somewhat inconclusive... I am wondering whether there is some kind of rule of thumb as to appropriate flow rate of coolant through a CO2 laser tube, for a given power output, in order to cool it sufficiently?

I have been having some issues with my 50W Chinese machine, where the power seems to drop away to nothing within a couple of minutes of cutting. If I switch the machine off and run it again a little while later, the power is back, however it once again quickly drops off to nothing. I suspect that something is over heating and causing the power to degrade, and the obvious culprit I would assume is the tube.

It is winter here at the moment and my workshop is a nice cool 15C (59F) and I am not noticing much change in the temperature of the coolant when I run the machine, though the volume of coolant is fairly large at approximately 30L (8 Gallons). The coolant I am using is distilled water with a small amount of antifreeze added.

I measured the flow rate of the coolant through the system, and determined it to be 1.66L/min. Do those of you with experience think that my issue is likely too low a flow rate of coolant? Or does it sound like the degradation in power am seeing is happening too fast for it to be an issue with the tube overheating?

I made a quick video of the machine cutting a scrap of plywood to demonstrate how quickly I am loosing power. The machine is running at 99% power in the video.

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions you may have.

Chris Barnes

https://youtu.be/KNmreFfNgak

Re: Required laser cutter coolant flow rate?

Quote Originally Posted by CBarnes View Post
    Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and what a fantastic resource it is! I have been playing with CNC machines for a few years, but I am new to laser cutters having only owned one for roughly a month.

I have searched for some info on this, however what I have been able to find is somewhat inconclusive... I am wondering whether there is some kind of rule of thumb as to appropriate flow rate of coolant through a CO2 laser tube, for a given power output, in order to cool it sufficiently?

I have been having some issues with my 50W Chinese machine, where the power seems to drop away to nothing within a couple of minutes of cutting. If I switch the machine off and run it again a little while later, the power is back, however it once again quickly drops off to nothing. I suspect that something is over heating and causing the power to degrade, and the obvious culprit I would assume is the tube.

It is winter here at the moment and my workshop is a nice cool 15C (59F) and I am not noticing much change in the temperature of the coolant when I run the machine, though the volume of coolant is fairly large at approximately 30L (8 Gallons). The coolant I am using is distilled water with a small amount of antifreeze added.

I measured the flow rate of the coolant through the system, and determined it to be 1.66L/min. Do those of you with experience think that my issue is likely too low a flow rate of coolant? Or does it sound like the degradation in power am seeing is happening too fast for it to be an issue with the tube overheating?

I made a quick video of the machine cutting a scrap of plywood to demonstrate how quickly I am loosing power. The machine is running at 99% power in the video.

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions you may have.

Chris Barnes

https://youtu.be/KNmreFfNgak
    hello, i have same problem like yours, did you check the amperemeter? if mine was suddently drop until half, but i haven't check it, talk to the seller, he told me to check the ground, but the ground is ok... also the power supply, nothing suspicious... i still wait for my technician back from other service job to looking what happen with the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by amders View Post
    hello, i have same problem like yours, did you check the amperemeter? if mine was suddently drop until half, but i haven't check it, talk to the seller, he told me to check the ground, but the ground is ok... also the power supply, nothing suspicious... i still wait for my technician back from other service job to looking what happen with the machine.
    Unfortunately my machine doesn't have a built in current meter, perhaps I'll have to hook up a multimeter to the tube. The power supply was the other thing I suspected as I imagine it could get quite hot.

I'm interested to hear what the technician determines the problem to be with your machine.

Re: Required laser cutter coolant flow rate?

hi there
    from my experience the flow rate should be around 6 to 9l/minute in order to avoid overheating the tube what could destroy the tube very fast.
    to hook up a mA meter is a must to avoid overcurrent because the controller does not regulate this efficient enough. to hook up a analog 50mA meter , they are cheap just cut the black or blue wire and connect there.
    if one or both of this parameter , current and or temperature goes over the limit for 50W tube max 20mA and max 78 F the tube will be unusable or destroyed in hours .
    greetings
    waltfl