584,802 active members*
4,807 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Good source for mid grade tool holders - CAT 50

Good source for mid grade tool holders - CAT 50

Hey guys,

We just purchased a 2012 VF3YT/50 demo unit right straight from Haas today. Finalized the deal this afternoon. I would like to get started on tooling right away so that when the machine gets here, we can get going. I found a great source for the thru spindle coolant retention studs. Can someone point me in a good direction for entry to mid level Cat 50 tool holders. For starters I've been looking on Ebay.

Thanks

Re: Good source for mid grade tool holders - CAT 50

I just went through this process looking for holders for a new machine. (VF-3SS 40taper)

I went with Techniks for everything. Picked up some ER16, ER25, TG100 and facemill arbors. I've used these holders before with great success. The brand new ones I just bought look even better.

Here's a link for CAT50 stuff:
    CAT 50 ER Collet Chuck Tool Holders for CNC Machines

For the retention knobs I originally looked at Techniks as well because of the good price point. However later I discovered JM High torque retention knobs and decided to go with them instead:
    Hi Torque Retention Knobs

Price wise (Canadian $) the Techniks holders were $90-$130 each. The JM retention knobs were $38 each, expensive but worth it, they are very nice.

You should also make sure to get a TorqueWrench and sockets for your collet nuts as well as retention knobs. The investment has been worth it.

- Colton

Hi Colton,

Thanks for the link. I sincerely appreciate it. I will look into the Techniks right away. Since you've done the homework already, I will probably give them a try and get about 5 CT50 holders to start with.

You mentioned you paid $38 for the retention knobs. I found a source that is cheaper and I found multiple good feedbacks from the PracticalMachinist forums on this vendor. That link for the Cat 40 for you is: CAT-40 Haas Retention Knobs

If anyone else has a source for economical tool holders, I'd like hear it.

Thanks.

I went with the higher priced JM retention knobs due to their design, the pull-studs are longer with a relief after the threads. It allows the threaded portion of the pull-stud to go deeper inside the holder as to avoid swelling of the small end of the taper. In the past I always used standard pull-studs and always over tightened them because I didn't know any better. Have a look at JM's website, it explains their design very well and has some video demonstrations of the swelling I am referring too.

In my case I actually bought fewer tool holders to afford the good pull-studs, I wanted to do things right with a brand new machine.

The pull-stud diagram in your link shows that they don't have a pilot before the threads, this is a bit concerning to me.

I have also read a lot of decent reviews on Mari Tool, however I have never used them personally.
    https://www.maritool.com/Tool-Holder..._24/index.html

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm checking the video out right now so I get a better understanding of what you're saying. Sounds like it's certain something to take into consideration.

Check out the pricing on these tool holders. Might be worth trying a couple. Bolton Tools CAT50 Tool Holders

Another opinion
    If your mill is a higher RPM unit say above 8000rpm then balanced tool holders should be considered.
    The cheaper Chinese holders are not and even if they said they were I would be very suspect to the validity of their specifications, quality control is just not that good nor stated specification reliable, getting much better though, remember Japan at the first no one uses cheap quality and Japan in the same sentence now.
    Presently, you can be sure I would not use Chinese retention knobs.

To consider Chinese holders "mid grade", at this point in time, is probably a stretch.

Parlec is what I purchased in the beginning as recommended by another machinist as high quality but not so expensive as some of the other higher end holders,

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Rotax91 View Post
    ..... Can someone point me in a good direction for entry to mid level Cat 50 tool holders....
    You are not buying an "entry to mid level machine" why are you cheaping out on the tool holders?

Your spindle will be much happier, now and in ten years time, if the only tool holders you have used in it are top quality. Remember if you use an inadequate holder which causes fretting damage in the spindle taper, and chatter with poor surface finish, the fretting remains when you throw away the cheap holder. Now even the best holder cannot perform up to its standard because it is in a damaged spindle taper.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Geof, It was just an inquiry for my own machining interests is all. I don't even work at the family shop. I actually work in a bank in the IT Department. That said, I did build a CNC router table a few years ago and understand the CAD/CAM part the best of us. I wanted to do some side projects of my own with the Haas so I wanted to dedicate some tooling for myself. The shop however, would use high grade tooling such as Parlec. They have a Mitsubishi V500 right now. Our Haas sales guy said the tooling won't work because it's a BT 50 taper not a CT 50. I was just at the shop tonight looking up the tooling on Lyndex website and I think our Haas rep is wrong. All the parts numbers I looked up take me to CAT 50 holders. If that's the case, we could share tooling with the exception of just changing the pull stud.

I just wrote our rep a few minutes ago to see why he thought it was a BT taper.

Take a look at Pioneer . We use thier CAT50 stuff and are very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by pdoherty View Post
    Take a look at Pioneer . We use thier CAT50 stuff and are very happy with it.
    If you are interested in quality used tooling we have 50,000 Tool holders in stock. I have been trying to create a used tool market place for the last 4 years and we are making head way, Cat 40 ,50 B35,40,50 as well as many other standard tapers. We sell basic cat holders for a flat rate of $34 a piece, My hopes is that in the future we will be know nationally known for the tool holder company, One of our best attributes is that we will take in on trade any type of tool you have that you no longer have a need for. If i can help you out in the future always feel free to call. Jason Puuri 517-420-5401