584,866 active members*
4,919 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Eding CNC Control Forum

Nice build. I have the CPU5A card and have been quite happy with it so far. It has been a much more pleasant and experience than my Mach 3 setup ever was. You will likely be quite happy with the setup. How are you planning on doing the operator panel? I assume via something like Pokeys or some other keyboard emulator. I am working on building a pendant with MPG.

Web Goblin...your build is coming along nicely. I'm impressed with you electrical cabinet. Did you implement any of the advanced Safety Relay items that are described in the installation manual?

My build is still on hold due to unrelated projects which is sad. I really wanted to have the machine running by now.

Gilmax, not sure if you looked at the Eding web site lately but Bert is offering 2 models of pendants these days. A basic hard wired and an advance function wireless. I was totally steaming when I saw that because I had just paid VistaCNC to custom make me a pendant for the Eding control. I tried to just buy the plastic case and MPG from them, but they offered to just build it for a reasonable cost.

When I get back in the groove I'm sure I will have many questions for the both of you. :-)

Rob

Nice, thanks for pointed those out to me. I have been on their site a few times recently and never noticed. That wireless pendant has me wondering because that exact pendant with a different logo is widely available for Mach 3 for $100. I wonder if the Eding control is programmed to accommodate those standard USB pendants or are these new pendants custom made to work with Eding? On my build I haven't installed a safety relay yet, but I am planning to use a standard relay to switch off power to VFD and drives. The safety relays are quite expensive so I would like to see what others are doing as well.

Edit: Just answered my own questions, the manual for the controller actually says XHC so it is the same thing, but you must buy his pendant to get an activation code to use it. So some programming was done to Eding controller accommodate them. The wireless pendant also has low resolution and the manual indicates it will have choppier movement at higher accelerations . I think I will still try to build my own with some kind of keyboard emulation using Edings shortcut commands. I would be interested to see what vistaCNC built for you.

I have used a safety relay in my panel but I need to do a bit more wiring to get it working the way I want it. I also need to figure out how to get the 10HZ pulse output from the watchdog into the safety relay circuit as well so that if the cpu card or the software hangs up it shuts down the safety relay as well. I think I need a watchdog pulse monitor relay or similar.
    I have also done a MPG pendant a while ago and will get this fitted as well after everything else is working. As for the wireless pendants Bert will supply you with an activation code for your existing pendant. Obviously this will cost you.
    So I managed to power mine up tonight and got the config program to talk to the cpu card but after uploading an update the software stays in simulation mode. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the network adapter sorted out and get it connected via a network cable and see if this fixes the problem.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Pendant I received from Vista. If I remember correctly the Mach3 version uses a PCB inside the pendant that is not required by Eding. I sent the all of the pendant specific info to Vista from the current manual.

The manual lays out what is required to build the required wiring circuit. I'm not an EE so I had to study it all at length.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails top.jpg  

Rob,
    the pendant looks good. The only question I have is about the speed multiplier. The manual shows steps from 0.1 to 100 but yours is labelled different. Will it give the same results?

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Rob,
    the pendant looks good. The only question I have is about the speed multiplier. The manual shows steps from 0.1 to 100 but yours is labelled different. Will it give the same results?
    His setting movements are what you need, ( .1mm= .00393" ) is ok for woodworking, if you want to do precise setups then you want your pendent to have the settings he has, I have had one the same as this for 14 years on a mill, so they are not new or anything special
    Mactec54

probably there are presets that can be changed like any other controlprogram..

================================================== =======

G59
    what you posted ""customization guide"" that practically doesn't shows more than simply editing resources..
    that what you can do with any resource editor..

means that doesn't change nothing on the program itself..

Quote Originally Posted by tinmancarving View Post
    I am still in the process of collecting electrical components for my system so I have not installed anything yet. Not sure about it replacing Mach 3 or 4 which has a great market share here in the states. I went with the Eding system because it does a better job of mimicking a real FANUC control. Just hoping it is robust once I have it running.

Here is the link to the Eding site.

Eding CNC - PC based CNC control

Well. Mimicking a Fanuc?.. More like Mimicking a Heidenhain Control..

I actually designed the User Interface together with Bert Eding, I did the design, he did the programming.. and i had been working with a Heidenhain Controlled Milling machine in the previous years..
    (i know the Control panel of my machine also looks a lot like a Heidenhain Panel because it is... a TE 420 Panel, bought second hand.. and by means of a Pokeys Card you can program all the buttons as desired.. At the moment i'm programming one for my Lathe as well..with a touchscreen..)

This is what the Console for the Lathe looks like.
    Also with a Heidenhain Keyboard, a TE 400 this time.

It is quite easy to use such a Keyboard, you just have to Connect it to a Pokeys Card, and program it.
    I have the Pinsettings for the TE 400, TE 420 and TE 425 in Excel, just drop me a mail if you want it, because that will save you some time Probing the entire board to figure out where each key sits in the Matrix.

I might also create my own design keyboard, it will look very similar to the Heidenhain version, but.. it will also have a connection for the UIO-10 Card From EdingCNC, with Which you can program a number of Functions of EdingCNC.
    There's 34 Keys on the Lower part of the Keyboard, and the UIO-10 Card can have 36 Connections, i will have to think about the Functionality i want to incorporate..

For the Time Being, a Second hand Heidenhain Keyboard will suffice..

II am wanting to connect a tool setter to my Eding cnc controller, I have no idea which wires go where. I have a tool setter which has four wires, this is normally closed type. Does the software side of things need setting? How do I do this. I NEED HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    A programming app for edingcnc? Now thats something I would like to see. It should make it easier for us non-programmers to get our heads round.

A programming App is what is missing with all PC Based Controllers, like EdingCNC and LinuxCNC, and with "programs that can merely make a CNC machine move" like Mach.

At least there is a Function in EdingCNC to Edit your NC file in a preferred Editor, Just enter the path to that program in the Setup, and Presto!.. when you click the Edit button in EdingCNC, the Editor opens with the file that is currently loaded in EdingCNC.. that is kinda cool already.

But, an Editor like Notepad, Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code, is merely that.. an Editor, so no "connection"with EdingCNC whatsoever.
    That is why i started develloping my own Programming app.

It is Called E++, where the "E" Stands for EdingCNC, and the ++ is a reference to the programming language C++, the Language EdingCNC is written in.
    E++ is "Connected" to EdingCNC in such a way that it appears on clicking the Edit Button, But it has also the Tooltable loaded in the application, so you can select a tool from the table when you need another tool in your NC program.
    It also has a button to "go Back to EdingCNC, meaning you don't need a mouse.

I will also make some Keyboard shortcuts that you can program into a Pokeys card, so you can either use the F Keys, a Touchscreen, or a dedicated key to switch back an forth.
    There is also the Cycle File.. a file that sits in the EdingCNC folder, that when it changes, E++ will come to the foreground and you can insert the contents from the file into your program (When you write dialogs in EdingCNC, and write the parameters to this file).

CodeFolding is also used, so subroutines, if and while statements and Cycle Definitions can be folded, and there is Syntax Marking and Indentation.

at the moment there is not yet a Macro File with the cycles, but if you can program, you can write them yourself, and program them with the Dialogs inEdingCNC.

I'm Still working on making it possible to use the same dialogs in E++ so if you have dialogs, just copy and past them to a TextFile, and set that file in the Setup of your machine in E++..
    it is also possible to make your own Button Icons.

This is what E++ looks like now.

I will also include the option of Inserting "Clips", a Clip is a part of a program you have written previously.
    you can select the part of the program you want to use in other programs as well, so you select it, and save that as a clip, in another program you can insert it by selecting the "insert Clip" button

Furthermore, you will get 13 programmable buttons to insert specific code, code that you use often, and 20 buttons with Dialogs for 20 "cycle definitions", Giving you the opportunity to create a programming application similar to those found on Heidenhain and Siemens Controls (and maybe other Controls as well).

Pricewise.. i think that the basic V1.0 will remain Free, you can use the dialogs in EdingCNC to program Cycles, and i might make a Version 1.5 with more options, like dialogs and such.

Do you want the Macro as well, then we must negotiate a price, since i cannot predict what you will need..

keep up the good work arie i read your posts with pleasure, and i wish you all the best

i hope to finish fast some things i work on, and ask for your opinion, but is a looong shot, as main job comes 1st
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Currently i'm Coding my ass off, i have a CNC Meeting early November, and i need something to show there..

Progress has been slow, since there has been other (Design) work as well, so i need to divide my time.

I have quite a lot of Features in my mind, and since i'm a novice in the Field of C# programming.. there is a lot to learn along the way.
    Luckilly i have found a website where you can make FlowCharts.
    A Flowchart is a handy tool for making complicated algoritms and keeping track of where you are in the software..

Luckilly i have found a website where you can make FlowCharts.
    A Flowchart is a handy tool for making complicated algoritms and keeping track of where you are in the software..
    hy arie, please, will you share ? i did ask a year ago about methods to create a code map, or something ... so to see the conections, etc

i have codes that i need a clear mind, and hours to days to get it re-uploaded into my head, especially if i wish to modify something; easy thousands of lines ...

have a CNC Meeting early November, and i need something to show there..
    please, what happens if you show nothing ? i mean, should you really show something ? like to postpone until is how you like ?

or just share some ideas, and brief on actual stage of development, not necesarily to show ... i don't know .. i mean not to waist your time only to show something to be shown, and nothing more

anyway, what's the catch with this meeting ? kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

hy arie, please, will you share ? i did ask a year ago about methods to create a code map, or something ... so to see the conections, etc

i have codes that i need a clear mind, and hours to days to get it re-uploaded into my head, especially if i wish to modify something; easy thousands of lines ...
    Yup.. www.miro.com
    You can use the Free version which is already quite Complete..

as for the meeting, I have something to show..

at the moment the Code Editing part works, I can make my own Dialogs, put them in the code, i have Buttons for Custom Code, you just make a textfile with the code you want to insert.

the setup part isn't finished, but that is no problem for demonstration purposes, since i have a running version, and i made the INI Files by hand.. works good.. i just cannot add profiles..

it's just that i want to see the reactions, programming by just filling in dialogs, for operations, and inserting these in the program you are composing.. that is the reason i made E++

and i also modified the logo a bit..

The "problem" with our PC Based CNC Controls is, they don't have a way to write programs.. of course you can use NotePad, or NotePad++, but there is no "Easy" way to switch between the controller and the Editor..furthermore, there is no way of opening the Tooltable from an Editor, there are no Dialogs to program operations, there is no automatic indentation.
    Furthermore, i can "insert" complete files, so if you have to program two parts that will fit onto eachother, you can just select the holepattern, store that, and insert that into the next program.. easy as 355/113 :cheers:

if reactions are positive, i will push on with the devellopment.

Page 2 of 2 12