585,712 active members*
4,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Simple CNC Software For An Idiot

I'm brand new to this game and am completely clueless to cnc machining. However, I purchased a desktop cnc mill and am looking for very simple software to perform a very simple task. I am intending on machining a piece of aluminum or brass. The tool will be a 1/8" end mill. The depth of the cut (or "Z" I think) will only have one value (about .05"). It will consist of one path of about 1.05". In that path, the x-y will have about 8 different variables evenly spaced.

Assuming I had the ability to draw this correctly, lets imagine that the spaces between the steps are even and there are 8 steps. The evenly spaced horizontal steps will never change in value. The vertical steps will however have four or five different variables that will change (ie. .005, .010, .015, .020, .025)

I need a simple, idiot proof, program that will not only allow me to do this, but also give me the ability to easily change the verticle steps.

Maybe even a program that will allow me to draw this (within +/- .001" tolerance), turn it into code, and be able to import the code into excel to allow me to program 5000+ variations of this line. Thanks for your help.

Jim Kennelly (nuts)

What your asking for could be easier done in excel then a cam program. Depending on whether your machine's controller can handle a macro is a big ? too. (A Macro is a program where some things are always the same but other things are filled in via a formula.)

Simple CNC Programming

This is what your looking for.
    www.simplecnc.com
    You enter some measuremetns into a form and it makes the GCode program for you. It is "Simple CNC"
    Best of luck
    Jeff