585,991 active members*
4,664 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazak super 400

i'm concidering purchasing this machine, but would like to collect more information before diciding. This is a 92 h400 w/25k 30hp spindle. has anyone worked with this machine,if so how will it perform for surfacing and what makes this machine "super"? Spindle speed alone or are there other options.

Not sure what the "super" is. I've programmed many H400s (most of the H series anyway) and haven't come across that one.... at least not knowingly.
    The 25k is nice and pretty stout considering the rpm. It does a great job for surfacing but there are are few things to consider about this machine...

If its a '92 I believe its a M32 control. They were nice in their day but far outdated by today's standards for surfacing and High speed/feed capability. M32 has a low memory for large programs so you would need to DNC. The lookahead control is substandard by any means for today. If you're looking to do a lot of surfacing, I'd look for at least a M+ control. Better yet, a Fusion control. Fusion has been out for some time now so the used market for machines with this control is plenty. I also don't recommend hard milling with the 25k spindle (at least not for the machine from this time frame). The machine/control isn't fast enough to accomodate to high feed or load monitor programming.
    Don't get me wrong, its a great machine (pending the condition and maintenance). But based upon your original question, might not be what you're looking for.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

mazak super 400

Thanks for the reply, this machine come loaded to the gills with memory so the hesitation I get when drip feeding should go away. It's really a value thing, for 40k or less I can get a 25k spindle full 4th and pallet changer. I currently have 2 h-400 with 7k spindles and had had good luck with them. I'm just a little concerned with the spindle technology in 92.

I'm not downplaying the machine necessarily, just the control for what you may be doing. If you're familiar enough with similar H400s and the control, then you know what you need there. I always ran out of memory for many of the surfacing or complex geometry on M32. And that was with the max memory.

As far as the spindle goes, the ealiest 25k spindle I've used and have is a '96 or '97 on a FH-480. It's been a good one and have no complaints. Can't quite take the "hit" like a 12k ... but then we shouldn't be crashing these huh? or any of them for that matter. If you go that route, make sure to get a tool balancer. Makes a world of difference for finishes and spindle life.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Quote Originally Posted by TACKER View Post
    Thanks for the reply, this machine come loaded to the gills with memory so the hesitation I get when drip feeding should go away. It's really a value thing, for 40k or less I can get a 25k spindle full 4th and pallet changer. I currently have 2 h-400 with 7k spindles and had had good luck with them. I'm just a little concerned with the spindle technology in 92.
    You didn't by any chance by that machine in the Chicago area did you? If so and if it's got problems with the Z axis guides it may have come from a shop I work at we sold one a year ago or so. Check the anti-backlash devise in the B axis they are usally worn out also.
    A.J.L.

mazak super 400

i don't know if the machine is from the Chicago area but I can find out. However the b axis is being worked on. so maybe it's the same machine. Was this machine a good runner for you guys?

I re-read your 1st post and I don't think ours was a "super 400" it was an H400, it had 40 tool mag. and it was a CAT40 taper spindle. It was part of a 5 machine cell, 3 400's and 2 vert 515's which machined automatic trans. housings. They were well worn after 10 yrs of very hard service. We still use the verticals and they'er o.k., at best, but all of the 400's went to a machine dealer in the Chicago area. As for if the machine ran good...like I said they were worn out they broke down regularly nothing major, mostly a nusance.
    A.J.L.