585,712 active members*
4,045 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazak New Turbo X-48 Champion Cutting Problem

I have a Mazak New Turbo X-48 Champion (1,000w) that I have been using successfully for over 5 years. I have been using Hypertherm ProNest v19 for nesting and CAD drawing of the parts I cut, which average 4,000-5,000 parts per month (from 16 ga. mild steel). Although I have had various problems with the machine over those years, I have always been able to get it going again. However, I have a new problem that I can't figure out. About a year ago, I had a problem setting the nozzle gap due to a problem with the profiler potentiometer and so I replaced it and the machine worked fine thereafter. Recently I was cutting a sheet and when the sheet was finished, I changed programs to one that I use to cut the sheet skeleton apart so that it is easier to remove from the table. The machine made one cut and lifted to move to the next cut, but when it lowered to make the cut, the head moved too far into the sheet and triggered the auto Emergency Stop function. Reset and tried again….no cigar. At the suggestion of a Mazak tech who has helped me before, I changed the potentiometer…. the nozzle crashed into the sheet and triggered the auto emergency stop again. The tech suggested I change the “gold box’” that is used to fine-tune nozzle gap settings. No change. I also thought it might be a glitch in the program, so I tried several programs I have cut successfully many times before, but the problem still exists. I am at my wits end. Any help out there?

Re: Mazak New Turbo X-48 Champion Cutting Problem

I have been out with COVID and just got back to the shop a few days ago. I still not been able to get the machine going, despite tracing all the potentiometer wiring, changing out the air cylinder, changing out the air solenoid, and changing out the proximity sensor for the X-axis. All seems to be functioning correctly. Can anyone out there offer and suggestions or help???

QUOTE: I have a Mazak New Turbo X-48 Champion (1,000w) that I have been using successfully for over 5 years. I have been using Hypertherm ProNest v19 for nesting and CAD drawing of the parts I cut, which average 4,000-5,000 parts per month (from 16 ga. mild steel). Although I have had various problems with the machine over those years, I have always been able to get it going again. However, I have a new problem that I can't figure out. About a year ago, I had a problem setting the nozzle gap due to a problem with the profiler potentiometer and so I replaced it and the machine worked fine thereafter. Recently I was cutting a sheet and when the sheet was finished, I changed programs to one that I use to cut the sheet skeleton apart so that it is easier to remove from the table. The machine made one cut and lifted to move to the next cut, but when it lowered to make the cut, the head moved too far into the sheet and triggered the auto Emergency Stop function. Reset and tried again….no cigar. At the suggestion of a Mazak tech who has helped me before, I changed the potentiometer…. the nozzle crashed into the sheet and triggered the auto emergency stop again. The tech suggested I change the “gold box’” that is used to fine-tune nozzle gap settings. No change. I also thought it might be a glitch in the program, so I tried several programs I have cut successfully many times before, but the problem still exists. I am at my wits end. Any help out there?

Re: Mazak New Turbo X-48 Champion Cutting Problem

I work with an X48 STX-II, so should be pretty close.

Is it crashing at the same part of the program every time?
    that would rule out a hardware fault on the potentiometer.

can you upload the nc file for the program that is crashing?