585,908 active members*
3,558 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mold for a Glass Bottle

Anyone knows anything about this? I'm designing a glass bottle which I'd like to mass produce. I have spoken to a few manufacturers here in México, but not getting much imput from them. I don't have prints, I only have a drowing I have drawn myself. The most crítical part es the volume that the bottle has to hold (1,035) mililiters +/- 10 mls. and the mouth has to be one inch.
    I havent found out what material this molds are made out of, stainless? What would be the aprox cost of the mold be? I found a site where they state the cost ranges 4-5k U.S. In México I cant find a decent machinest. The glass maker figures around 6K U.S, but I'll have to buy 150k bottles and pay for the mold.

Re: Mold for a Glass Bottle

You might find this page helpful: Glass Molding - Liland Techonology If you have a manufacturer already in mind, ask them where they get their molds, and what they pay for them. From what I've seen, modern glass bottle molds are fairly complex, with lots of cooling channels machined into them and intricate matching parts, all of which have to interface with the manufacturer's machinery. It's not something that a typical machine shop will have much experience with; you'll need to find a firm that specializes in this which can work with your manufacturer to produce molds that are compatible with their process.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: Mold for a Glass Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    You might find this page helpful: Glass Molding - Liland Techonology If you have a manufacturer already in mind, ask them where they get their molds, and what they pay for them. From what I've seen, modern glass bottle molds are fairly complex, with lots of cooling channels machined into them and intricate matching parts, all of which have to interface with the manufacturer's machinery. It's not something that a typical machine shop will have much experience with; you'll need to find a firm that specializes in this which can work with your manufacturer to produce molds that are compatible with their process.
    Yes, I think you are right. Even if I find a machine shop that will take on the task, I will need the specs of the equipment they use to fit the mold on to them. It just gets me that they ask me to buy over 100k up front. The risk is quite high. I thank you very much for your input!