585,758 active members*
4,161 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Drip feeding to a Haas with Cimco Edit

Drip feeding to a Haas with Cimco Edit

Im helping a friend to do this and I havent had to do this yet myself, but Im just wondering if any of you guys have done it and the procdure on doing it.

It would be a Mastercam posted file to Cimco Edit and Im not sure on the make of Haas.

any help would be greatly apprectited
    Custom/Repair CNC/Machinist
    Mastercam V9.1/X/X2 Mill Lathe Solids

061114-1741 EST USA

BMackinnon:

Will the program be making a lot of short motions in sequence, like a few thousanths per command?

If so you want to operate at the maximum possible baud rate. On newer HAAS machines this 115.2 kbaud, however, your cable length or other factors may require a lower rate.

You MUST use either hardware or software handshake. Also use even parity, 7 data bits, and one stop bit.

Remove all unnecessary programs from the HAAS machine. This provides the greatest amount of input buffer space.

Check out the use of Cimco Edit to transfer files to and from HAAS.

Read the HAAS manual on how to initiate drip feed mode.

After HAAS is in drip feed mode, then send your file from Cimco. First, data will flow real fast to HAAS until the HAAS buffer fills up, then handshaking will modulate the flow rate from Cimco to HAAS.

Note: Cimco Edit can be run stand alone, that is separate from Mastercam.

For information on electrical isolation and high baud rate capability vist my web site www.beta-a2.com

Thanks alot Gar.
    I passed on this info to him and he has told me that he has it working now.

again thank you
    Custom/Repair CNC/Machinist
    Mastercam V9.1/X/X2 Mill Lathe Solids