584,860 active members*
5,239 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Re-wiring a 2001 CNT Motion Systems Router on the data side.
Page 1 of 2 12

Re-wiring a 2001 CNT Motion Systems Router on the data side.

Hi Everyone,

I have a project coming up that I thought would be worthwhile documenting. I have a well-used CNT cnc router that I am going to re-wire from the computer cabinet to the servo drive cabinet on the back of the gantry for all the motor signals, limit switches, etc. I plan on moving from a massive 50ish wire cable with a mil-spec connector to a group of shielded Ethernet cables, color coded for each axis. I plan on adding a second wire carrier chain on the side of the machine that has none to keep the data cables well away from the power cables that run approx 25 feet from the cabinet to the same servo driver box (though straight through for the spindle power)

The reasons for this are because of errors that I have had in the past in that a faulty spindle cooling fan power wire (220v single phase I think, will have to change that too) caused extra steps to be added along the way from the computer based control (WINCNC) and the servo drives, which are then closed loop after that point.

And, although I "solved" the problem (after 2 years of ghost movements), I have realized that servos are best with the control getting the encoder signal back and second best with the shortest wiring of the control>drive open loop section and the longest wiring within the closed loop from the drive to the motor. Score one for chinese machines, they are generally made this way, although typical syntec controller is still "blind" to problems after the steps are sent out. Third best, my goal, is to have keep the drives on the machine, but have the data cables spatially separated from the power cables so as to minimize interference, and make sure the cables are properly grounded, ie the shielding is grounded on the control cabinet side only. Right now I have power and data together and I don't think the shielding is properly grounded.

I could try to just fix the grounding, but the machine is 15 years old and if the one wire has failed, that's probably a sign. The ethernet will allow me to make the cable more modular, and allow a move to a true closed loop controller (kflop / linuxcnc) if I still need too, but this is the "only fix what's broken" path right now.

So, I have ordered the molex connectors (plugs, pins, crimper, etc) to interface with the old stuff (and hopefully can move back to existing in minutes if needed while testing), color coded modular ethernet jacks, color coded shielded patch cables, and cable chain.

I'll try to take some photos of the existing setup and point out the problem areas, as it's not just my machine with a similar setup.

Re: Re-wiring a 2001 CNT Motion Systems Router on the data side.

Good luck! I am interested in following your story.

I, too, have a CNT Motion Series 1000 router that needs some TLC. It is nearly 'new,' but was built in ~2003 -- very low hours.

I have two problems which you may be able to answer (I can't get Paul @ CNT to respond):

1.) Regardless of the 'soft limits' radio button being either on or off, the soft limits will not work!
    2.) I can command manual tool changes, using any position in my 8 position tool holder, and never have a problem. But, if I have a tool change command in a program, the X axis does not go to the proper X position. It is always ~2 inches off in the positive X direction.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
    Joe T.

Hi Joe,

Since I have been using it since dos days, can't say for sure on the soft limits. they didn't seem to work when I tried 15 years ago (ish) and haven't tried or worried since, to my occasional detriment (but usually only on the first cut or two that I watch).

But, may be related to part 2. If it's out a consistent amount, my guess is that it has to do with a difference in the machine co-ordinates and the working co-ordinates. I'm not an expert, but there is something getting set in my homing command that sets the machine co-ordinates off of the limit switches. Mine is close but not 100% the same as the working I would usually use, corner of table, etc. So, my guess is that the same difference I see on my machine is bigger on yours.

From the Manual, typing "G92" only will revert back to machine co-ordinates....maybe try that and see if that explains the difference?

Calling Paul is better, he's usually helpful with old machines like mine when I call but not too easy to get a response on emial. Then again, I could be a special case (things changed from spec to delivery, and I've kept in touch over the years, upgrading control, etc), I'm not sure the official or even unofficial policy on support for older machines.

Hope this is helpful.

gfacer,

I am surprised you do not use soft limits! Every time you 'HOME' the machine will go to the hard limits and that can be a problem with hitting the hard limit switch too hard. Also, when the machine 'gets lost' trying to execute a tool change within the program, if that tool is T8 (last tool in the X+ direction), the spindle hits the X+ limit switch at FULL FORCE!!!! NOT GOOD!

Also, WinCNC is an antiquated control software tool. Using G92 has serious limitations. Standard ISO G-Code uses G54, G55, G56, G57 and some others G-Codes to establish work offsets. WinCNC uses G54, G55, G56 and G57 to indicate ONLY where the tool point is for a given spindle. That is how WinCNC addresses multiple spindles. REAL G-Code (ISO standard G-Code) uses a different method to address multiple spindles.

Why is G92 not a good method for creating a work offset/local zero? Because:

1.) G92 causes the tool to move to that position. Imagine using the lower southeast corner of your work piece as the Local Zero (Work Offset). The machine has to DRIVE the tool to that position to start running the code in ABSOLUTE mode. This is a real challenge if you are requiring the local zero to be on the work piece somewhere except just below the HOME position.

2.) Once G92 is invoked, you have to get out of the G92 mode by typing in 'G92' and do whatever you need in the program. To restart, you have to use G92 again with the original coordinates used previously in the program and GUESS WHAT? Yep, the first thing the re-start does is go to those G92 coordinates.

At least that is the way I understand the use of WinCNC and I have spent a couple of hours on the phone with Kelly Davis of WinCNC discussing this issue.

You have a LOT more experience than me regarding these machines. I would really like to talk to you directly. Please call me at your convenience.

three_hundred_sixteen- - - two_hundred- - - -eight_thousand_eight_hundred_thirty_five

Regards,
    Joe T.

Hi Joe,

I don't have a toolchanger, and my home has always gone very slowly to the limits (usually I go to corner manually and home the final bit), so other than drilling into the table, all good in 15 years.

You are correct that WinCNC is off-standard as for g54, g55 etc. It works well enough for me on a two head setup, but I know it's normally used for offset work areas, not spindle positions.

Not sure what you mean by G92 moving the tool to that position. It does not (although not sure if that is true on a restart or not, I don't use any restart functionality, I'll modify my program to do the remainder if needed). If I type in G92 x0y0, the current position in work co-ordinates, or local if you prefer (but see later), is x0y0. G92 within a program is what I would call local, and works separately from the out of program G92 (ie the first G92x0y0 is restored after the end of a program even if that program has a G92x0y0 at the beginning). So, it's a good idea to either have the g92 inside and outside the program match, or write down the co-ordinates the program started with if not, for a restart scenario.

if you look up plasticworks and surrey on google, you can find a 1-800 number to call me on, happy to help but need to figure out a time I have time to chat, or I'll try to call when I have time....what time zone and times are good for you?

gfacer,

Thanks for the offer to discuss this problem of mine. I have a lot of programming questions such as having macros for 10 HOMES!!! Also, 10 POSITIONS which can either be Absolute of Local!?!?!?!?

I am in Wichita, KS which is in the Central Daylight Time Zone. Just about anytime after 7 a.m. or so in the morning and before 10 p.m. or so in the evening.

I am retired so I am available anytime. I am working on my 'hobby' retirement project - a unique design composite airplane.

Attached are some photos of my router. The wife and I just finished building a safety enclosure around the router. I still have to install the PlexiGlass windows -- not urgent. Also, I attached an overview of my airplane project. I built the 1/3 scale R.C. model mostly by hand (hot-wire), but I am starting on the full scale mow and need this router to make master tools (patterns).

Joe T.

10 homes, 10 locals??? Is that was you want or what you have?

Or, is this just another way to ask how you change tools with the way WINCNC works? 10 homes, 10 locals sounds like multiple fixture type work, but not sure if that's really what you mean.

edit: looked at the PDF, pretty awesome project!

edit#2: I see where the 10 homes, 10 locals comes from....I assume that mostly you'd ignore that, it's probably put in for a specific OEM user or something. I would think that a tool change would basically need the tool position and a macro would do the rest.

What does your toolchange code / toolchange macro look like, code wise. What is in your wincnc.ini file and home macro file?

My machine has two drop-down windows. One allows the creation of up to 10 'HOMES!' Real G-Code only allows for one home.

The other drop-down window has one tab that allows up to 10 'POSITIONS' which can be declared either 'Absolute' or 'Local.'

I assume both the Homes and the Positions, when Absolute is selected' are really G92 'Local zeros.' But, not sure.

I have NO documentation with my machine. I have requested, and tried to purchase, such things as a maintenance manual, an operator's manual, programming manual, etc. But, Paul claims there is no documentation available, ' Everything I need is in the WinCNC reference document.' Unfortunately, that document is really only useful for people who are very familiar with their version of G-Code. It is a poor 'programmers Guide' since there are no examples of proper syntax, etc.

I am drowning.

Here is an email I sent to Paul last Saturday and have not heard from him yet:

Paul,

I have a few questions I hope you can answer.

1.) Your website in the FAQ section says you may have regional expertise available. Does CNT Motion have anyone with expertise on the CNT machines within a few hundred miles of Wichita, KS?

“What kind of field support do you offer?

Our experienced technicians understand a broad range of automation applications and can provide support by phone or at your facility. (Some fees may apply.) Regional expertise may also be available. Additionally, each machine is pre-configured for remote desktop support. This enables our technicians to troubleshoot your system via an Internet connection. (High-speed Internet connection required for remote desktop support.)”

2.) I would like to discuss various programming issues with someone who has expertise using your machines. Can you point me to someone locally?

“Are there any machines in my area that I can observe?

CNT Motion Systems has customers throughout the United States and overseas. If there is one in your area and you wish to visit their facility, we will contact them and arrange a visit. ”

3.) I still have two major issues with your machine. I do not know if a previous owner changed something or is there was something changed during the several moves that occurred during the last three changes in ownership. I did find a loose connection when I tried to run the machine first time. But, I have not identified any more. That does not mean there are not more, I just haven’t found them. Please note that these two problems have occurred since I first powered up the machine.

My two issues are:

a. I cannot turn on the Soft Limits. See photo Attached below.

How do I ‘turn on’ the soft limits? The ‘radio button’ in the tool bar does not change the dialog box regardless of whether the ‘cross’ is ON (like in the photo) or OFF.

What do the four columns of boxes for each axis represent? I think the first two boxes for the X and Y axis are the actual soft limits for the X and Y axis. I have no idea what the last two column boxes for the X and Y axis are or any of the Z axis boxes. Can you explain?

b. THIS IS THE MOST PERPLEXING PROBLEM:

When I run the machine in a manual mode, tool changes work perfectly. But, when I call at tool change within a program, the X axis overshoots by about 2 inches. This distance may vary a bit, but it always overshoots. Again, this only happens when a tool change is called out in a program. The Z axis works without a problem. Any suggestions?

This problem prevents me from machining anything requiring a tool change. Most of the projects I want to machine on this router require tool changes.

If you do not have Regional expertise in the Wichita area, how do I set up purchase time with your experts so my local CNC technician can ask your experts questions and together diagnose the machine’s problems? My local CNC technician has experience with Teknic’s servo motors and drives and WinCNC control software. He services several MultiCAM routers in the area.

Regards,

Joe T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soft Limits.jpg  

Hi Joe,

If your local technician has general WinCNC experience, I'd think he'd be the guy to try. On my machine, Jeff from CNT has come up a few times, and I'm sure he could fly out to you too (your cost). Remote assistance is likely possible, and might work well with a phone in hand as well. Again, a call is best compared to email, and you might need to pay for the more detailed support.

Yes, the WINCNC documentation is lacking in context (syntax I think it's OK at), but it's all I've worked from day one. But, I get what you're saying. I use the L10 command (array of parts) now regularly, but was a mess the first time I tried it and probably due to the syntax and other quirks (it doesn't home back to the program or working zero in Y for example (on my programs), but I think uses the machine Y zero (have not investigated, work around it instead). Of course, the "mess" was from DOS days, so maybe it just didn't work then, not sure.

Basically, before calling anyone, you'd be spending time well to go through the Wincnc.ini file, home file if there is one, toolchange macros if there are some, and any other files that look to be part of the system. go through them line by line and understand what they do, using the manual for reference. You might solve the problem yourself or at least speed up the trouble shooting with CNT or your local tech.

Soft limits might be disabled in the wincnc.ini file too.

As for creating G code.....CNT should be able to send you some code that is close to right for your machine (or a demo of Vcarve with a WinCNC ATC post might work too for code)......getting your CAM program to spit something similar out can be trickier, depends on the program (mastercam=hard, vcarve=easy), but if you can run single tool programs you should be close.

If you post your wincnc.ini file I can take a look.

gfacer,

Thanks for the inputs.

I had Kelly Davis of WinCNC remotely log in to my machine. He checked all of the macros and the WinCNC.ini file. He found a lot of problems and corrected them immediately. But, there still could be more.

I was surprised that ANYONE could get into the system files on the machine! That is just an invitation for mayhem. Other than home computers, I have never see it so easy to whack things up in a computer.

I am going to give Paul another day or two to respond. His boss, Max, who is the owner of the company responded to my email last Sunday wanting to know who I was, etc. I found that rather strange since he used Paul's email to reply. I did not know it wasn't paul, so I was confused. Paul knows my email address.

I explained to Paul (Max) about my machine, its history, my business info, etc. He responded shorty after and explained that it was Max, not Paul, and that someone would get back with me shortly.

Email trail:

From Paul (Max):

You asked questions, mentioned previous owners and multiple moves. Who are you? What is your company name? Who did you buy your machine from? What style machine is it (900, 950, 1000 series)? Do you know your machine Serial Number. What is your contact information beyond a gmail account. Start by answering these questions and we can go from there

CNT Motion Systems, Inc.
    1600 William Flinn Highway
    Glenshaw, PA 15116
    (412) 244-5770 Ext.102
    (412) 244-5760 Fax
    Home - CNT Motion AutomationCNT Motion Automation
    [email protected]

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain legally privileged and/or copyright information of CNT Motion Systems, Inc. or third parties. If you are not an authorized recipient of this e-mail, please contact the sender immediately and do not print, re-transmit or store this email or any attachments. Any loss/damage incurred by using this material is not the sender's responsibility. No warranty is given that this e-mail or any attachments are totally free from computer viruses or other defects.

My reply:

Paul,

Thanks for responding on a weekend. I did not expect a reply until sometime Monday.

We have discussed this machine numerous times over the last year, both email and phone. I assumed you would make the connection.

Who are you? What is your company name?

Joe Thompson, Mid-Continent Composites, Winfield, KS.

Who did you buy your machine from?

I bought the machine from e2 Materials (I think that was the name) in Geneva, New York in ~August 2013. Geneva is where the machine was located in their warehouse. The main company is located in Ithaca, New York.

I believe e2 Materials bought it from Woodwares. You told me that Woodwares had the machine sent back to your company for a checkout and an update on the computer and software before Woodwares took final possession and wired it up.

The original owner, according to either you or Richie Beckman (e2 Materials), was a company in Iowa that had several business interests. One was an amusement park and another was a service/maintenance business. The service/maintenance business purchased the machine from your company to make 3D carvings of figures for the amusement park. That is the history as I understand it.

What style machine is it (900, 950, 1000 series)?

1000 Series

Do you know your machine Serial Number?

I do not know where to find the serial number. I would like to know where to find it.

It has a 6’ x 12’ bed and a 36” stroke. A photo taken at Woodwares is below.

And more but I cut it short.

Paul's (Max's) reply:

Hi Joe,
    Sorry for the confusion, I (Max) responded to your email, thank you for your detailed response we will contact you today.
    Max

CNT Motion Systems, Inc.
    1600 William Flinn Highway
    Glenshaw, PA 15116
    (412) 244-5770 Ext.102
    (412) 244-5760 Fax
    Home - CNT Motion AutomationCNT Motion Automation
    [email protected]

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain legally privileged and/or copyright information of CNT Motion Systems, Inc. or third parties. If you are not an authorized recipient of this e-mail, please contact the sender immediately and do not print, re-transmit or store this email or any attachments. Any loss/damage incurred by using this material is not the sender's responsibility. No warranty is given that this e-mail or any attachments are totally free from computer viruses or other defects.

So, I think you can see why I am frustrated.

Regards,
    Joe T.

Hi Joe, only a little. I consider it a plus they still service it at all. I know much larger companies that do not!

gfacer,

I thought you might like to see the '10 Homes' and '10 Positions - Absolute or Local.' Plus, a couple of other oddities like 'Creating Home.' Finally, one macro that seems to still be corrupt - Tool Unload - TU.

All of these are screen shots (snippits) from my machine's XP computer.

Joe T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TU ULOAD problem (2).jpg  

Hi Joe,

I'd want to see the wincnc.ini file and any macros / home files in the home directory. Not sure what is happening with the one macro, but would find out soon enough by looking at those files.

gfacer,

I would be happy to email them to you. I have all of the macro files, Win.ini, and others.

I tried to run this boat anchor again today. You know the non-soft limits? Well, look at the error I was getting today! See photo below.

I am really getting tired of this.

Joe T.

Hi Joe,

Email is plasticworks a t g_mail com, I'll take a look. You might just zip the whole folder less the .exe and manual files.

Thanks, Greg

PS, so I guess the soft limits do work....just need to figure out how they are working?

What is the H4 in the code?

gfacer,

The 'H4" is one of the 10 'Home' positions. That is how one calls it out in a program. How these 10 HOME positions are different from the 10 'Positions - Local or Absolute,' I don't know.

I have no idea if the Soft Limits are working or not. I don't think so, sine when the machine 'homes,' it moves to each of the HARD limit switches. Is that normal? Also, when the machine tries to do a tool change from a program instruction, if that tool is #8 (most X+ position) the machine WHANGS REAL HARD into the X+ hard limit switch.

Humm - - - -

I'll send you the files.

Thanks,
    Joe T.

FYI, to any one else reading the is later, I think Joe is up and running. Post / code wasn't working correctly based on bad (or misheard) advice from wincnc guys. Took out some g92 commands and everything worked much better. I think he's running parts today.

Of course, I've got to get back to my CNT mods soon, hopefully helping Joe gives me good Karma.

Gfacer,

Thanks again for all of your help.

I have a number of oddly shaped rigid urethane foam blocks given to me by a friend who makes master tools for the composite industry. These blocks are scrap pieces.

I went to the shop Saturday and faced both sides of 4 of these blocks. That took a while. One photo shows the scrap blocks I have available. The other photo shows the four blocks after facing each side.

Unfortunately, after I programmed the blocks, I needed to take the APT.SOURCE file generated by my CNC programming software and 'convert' it to G-Code. Then I will modify/change that G-Code output to work on my machine. None of the machine movements will be altered, just 'Home' (work offset), tool changes/tool numbers, feeds and speeds.

The temporary license had expired when I went to use the demo software of EditNC. I am waiting for a reply from the owner of the software to re-authorise me to use it for another month. I did not use it hardly at all when I first downloaded it since I was having the 'lost' problem.

With a little luck, John of EditNC will get back to me this morning and direct me how to use his software for a bit longer. Once I have convinced myself that the whole process works, I will purchase John's software. The 'whole process' is CNC programming/EditNC/G-Code Modifications/actual machine run.

PLUG for EditNC:

If you do not have a post processor for your CNC programming software, check out EditNC. The editor will translate 3 axis "APT CL" format (APT.Source) to G-Code, but not 5 axis. It is a great tool to have.

Regards,
    Joe T.

I just got my "DEMO" version of EditNC extened (7-14-2015). I will finish the programming of 4 test blocks, the EditNC APT.source to G-Code conversion and the modifications to make the G-code work with the CNT Motion/WinCNC software tomorrow. Thursday, the wife and I will go tot eh shop early and begin the 'ultimate test.' Will this complete process work or ????

If it works, video on YouTube a few days after - - - -

Joe T.

OK, Back to the main topic of the thread (Joe's problem is ongoing as I write this, but perhaps my work will also help him).

I seem to have lost some notes, so might as well write them up here.

The first priority is the data signals to the digital servo drives. IE step and direction signals. Those seem to be what is getting corrupted now, so I'll be putting them on one half of their own twisted pair. So, therefor, four of the 8 available wires on one ethernet cable will be dedicated to step and direction. Oh yes, the unused wire of the twisted pair is to ground on the controller side.

The other 4 wires will handle the enable signal, the shutdown signal, and the other 2 wires probably to ground as well. Unless I need another wire in use, I will probably use one side of a twisted pair for those signals as well, just because.

Since I have 5 motors (dual Y, Z head, W head, X), I will need 5 cables for these signals. Each one is color coded with matching color coded ethernet keystone jack. Cables and jacks from Monoprice.com. On the machine side, since the drives on on the gantry, I will be using a keystone jack to a molex connector that can connect in-line with what now plugs into a breakout board (I am bypassing the incoming signals to the breakout board in this process). This will allow me to reconnect the old wiring quickly. Unfortunately I seem to have had something else in mind when I ordered the molex parts and need some in-line female connectors....getting all this from digi-key.

After this, I need to cover the limit switches. There are a pair of wires for Xhigh, X low, Z high, Z low, W high, W low, Y high, Y low, and V (y slave) low. So, 18 wires in total. I use 3 ethernet cables for this. ZW on one, Y on another, and X on the last...with a few spare wires for an other purpose.

I'll add photos shortly, although not much to see just yet. Mostly running the machine tonight and mapping out wires (have to test continuity as well)

Attachment 288158Attachment 288160

Page 1 of 2 12