585,926 active members*
3,780 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Picked up a 90's MiniTech Mini-Mill/2

Picked up a 90's MiniTech Mini-Mill/2

I've cleaned the ways (Solid round bars) and everything else, but I have a few questions on getting this mill moving. I still need a 32-bit PC with a parallel port (which I have found) to load Mach3 on.

I am a bit confused as to what I have with (and need for) the machine. It came with an Astron RS-12A power supply, and the box behind the spindle has three IMS IB462 stepper drives in it. These are wired directly to the parallel port on the side of the mill. Is the parallel port in my PC supposed to connect directly here or is there a missing control box/board between the mill and PC that I need to replace? The manual mentions that the DB25 cable used to operate it is a standard, unmodified cable. The driver box looks like it has had some holes re-drilled, so I am thinking these drives may not be original?

The leadscrews (1/2-10 Acme) have about .025" backlash and are mounted using 3 screws. Does this sound like something I can replace without modification? The slides and ways are rock solid and smooth. Other than a motor bracket for the Sherline spindle ($6.71), I hope I can get this mill up and running soon.

I have an email in to Minitech, but not response yet!

Jason

2012 Haas TL-1 (work)
    BP V2XT (Centroid kit soon)

Re: Picked up a 90's MiniTech Mini-Mill/2

Show us some pics. The machine and the electronics. Somebody can make sense of it.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Jason,

If it were me I would use a buffered breakout board like a C10 to interface the the IB462 drives to your computer.

See attached link:

C10 - BI-DIRECTIONAL PARALLEL PORT INTERFACE CARD, CNC4PC

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

I tried embedding photos, but OneDrive and CNCZone don't get along I guess... sorry for the external link!

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...hint=folder%2c

I have the machine, a DC power supply, a stack of floppies, manuals, and misc tooling. The box on the back of the spindle head has a parallel port and DC inputs for the power supply. In the photo showing the drives, all 3 axes are wired to pins in the parallel port.

I am an idiot when it comes to electrical things unless I have clear instructions- If you have an answer, I probably have a question for it!

Jeff- thank you for the reply.

Am I correct to assume that this control design is supposed to connect the stepper drives directly to the PC Parallel port? I have 120v into the mill for the Sherline spindle and 12V into the 3 drives. That breakout board looks like it will tidy things up nicely. I'll have to knock the dust off of my (de)soldering skills!

My PC arrived today to run the mill- re-furbished Dell running Win7 x32 with a parallel port. $79 at Tiger Direct.

Arrow Re: Picked up a 90's MiniTech Mini-Mill/2

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonixo View Post
    Jeff- thank you for the reply.

Am I correct to assume that this control design is supposed to connect the stepper drives directly to the PC Parallel port? I have 120v into the mill for the Sherline spindle and 12V into the 3 drives. That breakout board looks like it will tidy things up nicely. I'll have to knock the dust off of my (de)soldering skills!

My PC arrived today to run the mill- re-furbished Dell running Win7 x32 with a parallel port. $79 at Tiger Direct.
    Jason,

Check your p.m. mail

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.