585,962 active members*
3,906 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Air Cooled vs Water Cooled Pros and Cons and Advice

Air Cooled vs Water Cooled Pros and Cons and Advice

I'm looking at building another CNC Router 2'x4' to 4'x4' trying to get a budget worked out. Cutting mostly Wood, ss material and some aluminum. Thinking of 1.5 or 2.2 KW spindle- trying to determine which is better air or water. I know that can be very subjective but I'm looking for opinions from people that have them, used them etc. Open to advise on different brands and sellers- whose good and whose good to stay away from.

Something else - with weight of the 1.5's about 9 lbs and the 2.2's around 18 +, do you need an air assist for the Z?

Thanks for the help,
    Scott

Re: Air Cooled vs Water Cooled Pros and Cons and Advice

Cooling is cooling. Doesn't really matter how it is cooled.
    But.........if your ambient air temperature is high, then air cooling is limited, by that temperature.
    So..........we would use water, so long as the temperature of the water is lower.
    'sall relevant.
    Cheers,
    Mark Needham

trying to determine which is better air or water
    Personal preference. With air, you don't have to do anything. Water requires a pump, cooling lines, and periodic maintenance.
    My personal preference is electric fan. Quieter than a shaft driven fan at higher rpm's, and keeps the motor a little cooler. But you only see them on more expensive spindles.

Open to advise on different brands and sellers
    If your looking at chinese spindles, it's difficult to know what brand you'll be getting and even if you'll get the same brand from the same seller.
    Unless you buy from a quality reseller like UGRA.

If you have a higher budget, you have more options.
    Hertz from Turkey is the least expensive non chinese spindle
    Teknomotor is next.
    Then you have HSD, Colombo and Perke, which are much more expensive. HSD's are probably the most common, but I've heard that Colombo's are heavier duty.

do you need an air assist for the Z?
    That would depend on the capabilities of the Z axis. Keep in mind that while an air cylinder makes it easier to lift, it also makes it harder to go down. If you want the fastest Z, your best bet is to not use any lifting assistance, and just use a motor that's capable of lifting it on it's own.
    I have a couple air cooled 2.2KW spindles, and I don't believe they weigh anywhere close to 18 lbs, but I haven't weighed them. I think they are closer to 12lbs?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Ger & dram,

That's good information, it helps to have some ideas besides only EBay and the Chinese variations. Not that there is anything wrong with those.

Anyone else? I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for this information. There are some older threads similar but most are 2-6 years old without being real complete.
    Thanks,
    Scott