585,715 active members*
3,962 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Machining order in SC9

Machining order in SC9

I have been working with SC9 for a few weeks, and many aspects of it are making sense. But, I am having trouble getting it to machine operations in the correct order. I thought that it would order the operations in the same sequence you identify them, but this is not so. Right now I am running 2D parts with internal cutouts. I need to make sure that the cutouts are done before the perimeter.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Re: Machining order in SC9

I use sprut 7 but imagine they are similar, Try selecting the curves you want to machine first in the first op, then select the curves you want to do next in a second op, repeat as necessary. I do know that holes can be selected as you want to machine them by checking the "by list" option.

There is also a transform option that may do that also, I use it on multi parts by selecting the curves holes etc that I want and it will repeat those ops on the other parts selected by their coordinates.

Sprut does a lot for the money but it was a bit of a bear to learn..............
    mike sr

Popspipes has the right idea.
    I would create two 2d operations. Rename first 2d operation "2d interior" and select each interior area to be milled or cut and add those to the list under job assignment tab. Then rename 2nd 2d operation "2d exterior" and select all the exterior features and add those to the list window under job assignment . This strategy should do what you want. Set top, bottom and safe levels and all the other parameters to suite your needs. If you have a large grid of different shapes or layouts on sheets like plasma or water jet work then a quick review of nesting features in the online help might point you in better a direction.
    Hope this helps

Oops forgot that step. Set compensation to interior for all the 2d interior curves and in next operation set compensation to exterior of all 2d exterior curves selected.
    Or you can also set up 1 operation as turbo step explains and set order and then set comp for each curve or set of curves. Be careful relying on list order as order for tool paths. It works but I have seen the simulation and the actual posted code run very different.

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I am aware that I can place the cutouts in one operation and the perimeter in another. I was wondering if it was possible to select the order of several cuts that are in the same operation. From your response, it looks like SC will order them the way it wants to, and that has been my experience.

I have discovered that if I place the cutouts in one operation and run the tools paths, I can cut and paste the tool paths to get them in the right order. Are there hazards that I don't see to this approach?

Also, I have had some difficulty designating 2D contours using edges. Many times, SC uses the edge as the tool path (rather than accounting for the tool diameter). The resulting cut is in the wrong place. I don't have this problem if I select the faces rather than the edges. Assume that I am cutting 2D parts out of sheet goods (3mm light ply) using the 2D contouring operation. Any thoughts on that issue?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimlake View Post
    ...it looks like SC will order them the way it wants to, and that has been my experience.
    Hi Jim, If I understand your problem it sounds to me that you're allowing SC to do just that Try deselecting the Minimization checkbox and the order should correspond to the order in the list.

Attachment 284088

Also be careful about the compensation icon. In following image shows 2 curves below the red arrow. The first shows a dotted line above the curve indicating that the endmill will cut around the curve. The lower icon without the dotted line indicates that the centre line of the endmill will follow the curve. Click on the icons to toggle between the two

Attachment 284090

Step

Sc my pick the wrong edges but you can adjust this with cutter compensation as md stated. Simulate to see if the change stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlake View Post
    Thanks for the response.

Yes, I am aware that I can place the cutouts in one operation and the perimeter in another. I was wondering if it was possible to select the order of several cuts that are in the same operation. From your response, it looks like SC will order them the way it wants to, and that has been my experience.

I have discovered that if I place the cutouts in one operation and run the tools paths, I can cut and paste the tool paths to get them in the right order. Are there hazards that I don't see to this approach?

Also, I have had some difficulty designating 2D contours using edges. Many times, SC uses the edge as the tool path (rather than accounting for the tool diameter). The resulting cut is in the wrong place. I don't have this problem if I select the faces rather than the edges. Assume that I am cutting 2D parts out of sheet goods (3mm light ply) using the 2D contouring operation. Any thoughts on that issue?

Jim