585,914 active members*
3,929 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > G0704 Metric 3-Phase Motor conversion
Page 1 of 3 123

G0704 Metric 3-Phase Motor conversion

I just got done installing a 1100kw metric 3-phase motor on my G0704 cnc conversion today. It only weighs about 10 pounds more than the factory stock motor. I used a Bench Top Precision belt drive kit that was modified to work with this motor. the mods were relatively minor, and it actually looks good on the head. The modifications were getting the motor plate counterbored for the socket head screws, and the motor pulley was bored out to 19mm to fit the motor.

Attachment 284118
    Attachment 284120
    Attachment 284122

Re: G0704 Metric 3-Phase Motor conversion

Looks great!
    www.benchtopprecision.com
    | BF20/G0704 Belt Drive Kits | X2 Mini-Mill Belt Drive Kits |

What motor frame size is it?
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

That's a lot of motor.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    What motor frame size is it?
    It is a D80C 1100kw (1.5hp) Leeson 3-phase motor. I am going to use a Hitachi WSJ200-0015SF VFD to operate it, should hook up nicely to the C32 breakout board.
    The leeson part number for it is 192067.30, aluminum frame 3600 rpm.

the bolt circle is the same dimensions as the Sangmutan 1100kw motor. I chose this metric motor because a 56c frame motor is physically larger and heavier than the equivalent metric motor, and the motor plate already had the correct dimensions for the D80C frame, it just needed to be made with counter-bored holes for socket screws to bolt the motor in place.

Any video of it running?

What kind of torque are you getting in the lower rpms?

Are running an encoder? Do you have control of indexing?
    A lazy man does it twice.

I do not have s vid, but I do have a pic that I will put up tonight. I am not running an encoder at this time. Can't give you torque numbers but it has cut everything I have tried so far just fine

How is the motor working out for you? Looks good sitting on top of that BTP belt drive setup bet its nice and smooth and quiet with tons of power!! Get us some video if you have a chance!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I just realized the top picture has no gib strip installed. I still want to see and hear it.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Same here.. Updates please!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Bump for updates....I'm looking for an AC Motor + VFD Solution for my G0704.

Thanks!

Mike

I think this would work great with the head spacer.
    Joescnc 4x4 R&P Router, Minimill, Minilathe, CNC Foamcutter, laser cutter, Vectric Aspire. http://makermasters.com, http://themakersguide.com

I bought this motor and a VFD. I have the motor wired up and running but have not yet received the belt drive from Benchtop Precision.Attachment 319860

Bill
    Joescnc 4x4 R&P Router, Minimill, Minilathe, CNC Foamcutter, laser cutter, Vectric Aspire. http://makermasters.com, http://themakersguide.com

I did a lot of hunting around and comparing specs, and for me, this Leeson and the Hitachi VFD are my leading candidates, so it's great to see everything mounted, and I'm guessing it's working well.

bgriggs - I'm definitely interested to see how your version works out, and how you like that motor/VFD combo.

Any chance you've put the motor on a scale? I'm amazed that so many manufacturer specs on unit weight aren't consistent, and the vendors seem to not care other than how much the whole thing boxed up weighs for shipping.

Have you done the head/Y extension? I'm planning that as my first mod/upgrade, and the motor/belt drive as the second. It's great to see from Deinonychus' photos that everything will just fit... but the spacer would give a bit more wiggle room.

Tom,

The motor weight 23.33 including the base which will be removed. So I am guessing it will weight about 22 pounds.

I am doing a double head spacer mod.

Attachment 320734Attachment 320736

Bill

Looking good. Also curious if this motor is TEFC. I see that it's IP55 and sure LOOKS like a TEFC. Anyone know for sure?

Additionally, is anyone familiar with the practice of using 1800RPM motors on 120hz to obtain better low-RPM torque than the 3600RPM models provide? For those unfamiliar, the only difference between the motor types is usually the addition of two extra poles in the 1800RPM models. You can spot the evidence in the fact that the 1800RPM model for this motor is 10lbs heavier. I'm eyeing that model of this motor for my belt drive. Anyone see an issue with that plan? Should be able to obtain the same top-speed as the 3600RPM model, since the bearings etc are likely identical, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a 4 pole motor.

I don't know what TEFC is so I can't answer. You could look up the motor and specs. 192067.30

Bill

Thanks for the motor weight - the specs say 24lbs. After seeing lots of contradictory stuff on different motors, it's nice to see the specs match reality.

Yes, it's TEFC: LEESON Electric Corporation - www.leeson.com

I was pretty sure I knew what TEFC meant, but I thought I'd double check. From "oddparts dot com":

A TEFC enclosure on a motor means "Totally Enclosed, Fan Cooled".

This motor is probably the most commonly used motor in ordinary industrial environments. It costs only a few dollars more than the open motor, yet offers good protection against common hazards.

The motor is constructed with a small fan on the rear shaft of the motor, usually covered by a housing. This fan draws air over the motor fins, removing excess heat and cooling the motor.

The enclosure is "Totally Enclosed". This ordinarily means that the motor is dust tight, and has a moderate water seal as well. Notice that TEFC motors are not secure against high pressure water. For these applications, consider the "wash down" motor, which is usually designed to withstand regular washing, such as found in a food processing facility.

In addition, the TEFC motor is not "Explosion-proof", nor is it capable of operation in "Hazardous Environments".
    The issue with a TEFC motor on a VFD at lower RPMs is that the fan attached to the motor shaft is also turning at lower RPMs, so it's blowing much less air across the motor and thus there's less cooling and more heating. I've seen people add a separate fan to the back end of the motor to make sure there's good air flow even at low RPMs. I was thinking of possibly using a 140mm computer case fan.

About 1800 (4 pole) vs. 3600 (2 pole) RPM (at 60hz) motors: I was very excited about potentially using a 1800 RPM motor... for a while. Because horsepower is a function of torque and RPM, a 1 HP/1800 RPM motor has twice the torque at the base speed as a 1 HP/3600 RPM motor. (The same HP/lower RPM motor is also heavier and more expensive.)

On a VFD, that holds for some speed range below the rated RPMs. (This is the "constant torque" range for the motor, but if I understand correctly, even with a sensorless vector FVD torque falls off again at some point of low RPMs for any motor, but "induction duty" motors tend to be better about this.) But what made me decide to go with a 3600 RPM motor is that above the rated RPM, the torque drops off faster for the 1800 RPM motor. I did some sketchy comparison calculations to attempt to compare and it looks like the torque of the 1800 RPM motor was lower than that of the 3600 RPM motor above around 2400 RPM, so all that benefit was very much at the low end.

If you're doing lots of large cutter diameter, low RPM stuff in steel, then that might be a good trade off. I'm expecting to do more aluminum, so less torque overall, but more torque at higher RPMs is more important to me. (Plus saving a little money and weight on the head.)

I'm on the same path as Bill Griggs. I got the Leeson metric motor installed onto the head tonight, using the excellent Benchtop Precision kit from Scott. Scott made me a motor plate and 19mm bore pulley for this motor. He sells the motor plate for this DC80 frame size. Just email him. I'm driving it with the Automation Direct GS3-22P0 2hp VFD. I followed LCVette's wise advise and installed the single and 3 phase line reactors, and RF filters along with the braking resistor for this VFD. These are all inside the enclosure. After a quick tune, I powered her up and wow, these motors are so quiet. I never realized how loud brushed motors are in comparison. At 5000rpm this motor is so quiet. Most of the noise is from the motor's fan. Absolutely no vibration. Also, with the braking resistor, the motor stops in about 1.5 seconds from 5k rpm. I'm amazed. I'll be cutting chips this weekend.

You'll notice in the pics that I already have the belleville stack and top hat in place for my next project, the power drawbar. I'll be machining a new motor mount to push the motor back 2.5" to make room for the 3-stage cylinder and to reduce the moment that the heavy motor places on the head and column.

Attachment 321094Attachment 321096Attachment 321098

Mike - was there some discussion you could link to with info on the line reactors and RF filters? Or parts numbers of what you used?

All the manufacturer manuals say to put them in, but clearly lots of people are using VFDs on motors on machine tools without them. I get that they serve several purposes including protecting the VFD's electronics in some circumstances, but I'd like to understand what's going on more clearly and why.

Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing some photos and explanation of your enclosure, I'd appreciate it.

My G0704 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow (Murphy's law says the scheduling computer will decide that the only possible window will be while I'm taking my wife to the optometrist in the afternoon...) It's great to see a similar approach to what I'm planning working well!

Page 1 of 3 123