585,605 active members*
3,265 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Bridgeport Series 2 Interact 2 Transformer

I purchased a pre used Bridgeport Series 2 Interact 2 CNC milling Machine.

It requires 460 volt power supply. My workshop has 600 volt supply, so I have to install a Transformer.

I am located in Montreal and looking for Canadian made Marcus Transformer of 11 KVA.

One of the dealer’s representatives advised not to go for an Auto transformer for CNC machine and recommended a double wound, isolating transformer.

Another dealer suggested to go for a Drive Isolation transformer.

One of my friends told me that he is using an Auto transformer for his CNC machine.

The approximate price quoted for an Auto transformer is US$ 450
    Isolating transformer US$ 600
    Drive Isolating Transformer US$ 750

I request you to suggest the proper selection of transformer.

Thanks,

R Rossey

I *think* the reason they are advising against the autotransformer is because it provides no isolation which could cause a lot of problems if it were to fail. But, if you are using this just to step down between your supply and the existing bridgeport transformer you might be ok as the existing bridgeport transformer will provide the necessary isolation.

I'm not entirely sure on this so you might want to double check with someone else.

Certainly if you were intending to replace the existing bridgeport transformer with a new one I wouldnt use an autotransformer.
    Dom
    http://www.ukrobotics.com/projects

You could also look into adding just one 600:120 transformer, then connect it's output "backwards" in series with the bridgeports 460 transformer. This would be like a build-it-yourself voltage-bucking-transformer. This 600:120 would probably be smaller and cheaper.

600-120=480 (should be close enough to 460)

CP

First confirm what is actually running at 460, if you have motors etc running at 460/480 then they are most certainly going to be across the incoming supply so an autotransformer will make no difference as to isolation, I doubt the servo's are running on 460, if not then there will be an internal transformer to isolate them. also there will be a control isolation transformer down to 110v etc.
    So these will not matter as far as auto trans. as they will be isolated.
    The auto-transformer is acts the same as a buck/boost transformer.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Check all your transformers. I believe you can reconfigure them to 230VAC. I believe most of them are auto-transformers. The spindle motor also is easy to convert. The only buggers will be the main fuses and spindle motor overload. The current at 230 will be double of what it draws at 460.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you all for the information.

Tomorrow I will check the transformers in the main panel and get back.

R Rossey

Quote Originally Posted by rrossey View Post
    Tomorrow I will check the transformers in the main panel and get back.
    That may only be worth it if you have 3ph 110/220, rather than 240/120 1ph for lighting, otherwise it would pay to stick to the 600v 3ph with auto trans.
    Also the wiring for the main feed from the disconnect and the spindle wiring may need increasing, if going with the 220 3ph.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for the information.

I checked the electric panel, there are two isolation transformers inside, one for the servos and one for the controller.
    So I purchased an auto transformer and connected the machine.

Now the next problem:

The machine parameters are lost as the batteries were exhausted.
    I replaced the cells.
    There are no machine parameters available along with the machine.
    I downloaded the parameters from ETSU web site for Heidenhan TNC 155

Are these machine parameters specific to a particular machine or common for Heidenhain TNC 155 Controller?

The CRT display is in German. Can this be changed to English?

Thanks,

R Rossey

Maybe I have a generic set for this machine without going to the office. The parameters configure the control to the machine. Most are generic to a specific machine, but some are machine specific, such as backlash comp and machine travel to each side of the home switch. Yes, one parameter converts it to a english display so you do not have to learn German.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

BTW, need your email address.

George

My email addres:

[email protected]

What is BTW?

R Rossey

BTW: BY THE WAY.
    FYI: FOR YOUR INFORMATION

ETC

George

A happy new year to all the members!

Hi George

Please email the generic parameters for TNC 155 if you have them.

From where I can get the information that what each of these parameters represent?

R Rossey

You can get parameters,manuals etc from www.heidenhain.com
    They are free to download but take a bit of finding on the site.
    Mark.

I have written to Heidenhain a few days back and today I got the generic machine parameters from them for TNC 155. The delay was probably due to the holidays.

I loaded the parameters by adding the machine specific parameters to start with as follows:

MP 36 to 39: zero for all, as these are Back-lash comp.
    MP 40 to 43: zero for all, as these are linear comp.

MP 44 to MP 49 as soft limits ( I do not know what it means but I thought it may be the travel limits)
    MP 44: +0 X+
    MP 45: -750 X- (As x axis travel for the machine is 760mm)
    MP 46: +0 Y+
    MP 47: -350 Y- (Y axis travel is 360mm)
    MP 48: +0 Z+
    MP 49: -125 Z- (Z axis travel is 125mm)

MP 50: +30000.00
    MP 51: -30000.00

After going through the procedure and pressing the ‘CE’ key the monitor show ‘Manual Operation’

I pressed the yellow ‘Power Enable’ key & green ‘Start’ key together
    The Z axis moves a little
    Pressing the yellow & green key again, Y axis moves
    And then third time the X axis moves, but on the + side it activates the left side limit switch and the error message flashes ‘Gross positioning Error A’

At this stage all keys on the panel are ‘Non Functional’ nothing happens and the machine has to be restarted.

Somehow two times on the CRT display the values for X, Y & Z were displayed similar to DRO readings, I pressed the ‘Manual Mode’ key and tried to move the table by control lever or by X Y &Z keys but the table was not moving.

How I should proceed further from this point?
    Machine specific parameters require different values?
    Please help!

R Rossey
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Control Panel.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	28582

Name:	Spindle Head.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	28583

Name:	CRT Display.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	28584

The software limit and travels are set wrong in the parameters for the axis that`s hitting the hard limit.It is normal for a gross positioning error to need a restart as the machine does not know where it is.
    If you look back a few posts on this forum for a thread entitled Series 1 with TNC145 you will find a link to the download page for the parameters and it explains what each parameter is so you should be able to work out what you need to change.
    Mark.

While trying to run the machine, I noticed that when the Z and Y axis move, the values on the CRT display change. But for the X axis the value is not changing when the table moves in X+ direction.

Is it possible that the encoder for the X axis is not working and the table continues to move till it hits the limit switch, thus giving 'Gross Positioning Error'?

If the ecoder is not working, how to know if any connection is loose or the encoder is to be changed?

R Rossey

I still think this is parameters as it is possible to turn of an axis so that the display does not register but the ot limit will obviously still work.I have tried to paste a link direct to the manual but it`s not working.You really need to read the manual re the parameters and compare what it says with what you have got.
    You can also by changing a parameter alter the order of referencing so that you can make x first to save time doing the other axis while you are looking for the fault.
    I know it is difficult to find the info on the Heidenhain site but it is all there.If you search through my posts (not many)you will find a click by click guide to the info.You are looking for OMA 100 series manuals.
    Mark.

Thanks Mark for the information

I got the link and I am posting it below for reference:

http://filebase.heidenhain.de/doku/o...23/N12A23.html

In addition to “Operating Manual” it has

“Mounting Instructions and Interface Circuit Control-Machine” and

“Service Instructions”

Enough material for the weekend.

Thanks again.

R Rossey

I tried the values and procedure as per the manuals. The Y and Z axis are working OK, only the X axis is not able to find the reference point X+ and hits the limit switch giving “Gross Positioning Error D”.

What else I can try and how can I check if the encoder on X drive motor is functioning OK?

R Rossey

Page 1 of 2 12