585,975 active members*
4,615 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What do you think of the new CNC options from Smithy?
Page 1 of 2 12

What do you think of the new CNC options from Smithy?

I already have a Tormach mill, so I'm not interested in another, but just thought I'd mention this.

Just got the latest Smithy Catalog in the mail today and it looks like in addition to lowering the price on thier CNC mill, they've also added a smaller CNC mill to the product line.

The original CNC 1240 model had a 12" x 40" table with 24" X and 14" Y travel. The new CNC 932 has a 9" x 32" table with 20" X and 10" Y travel.

You also have the option now of buying the machine in four configurations:
    1 SmithyCNC - ready to run
    2 PC Ready - minus computer and software (just need a PC and Mach2/3)
    3 Basic - mill with stepper motor, but no control
    4 Bare bones - mill with ballscrews and just motor mounts

They don't list pricing for the Basic and Bare Bone configurations (it's says to call for details), but at $7500 it looks like the PC Ready CNC 932 is coming after the Tormach mill...

I apologize if this info has been posted elsewhere here, I've been pretty busy and haven't had time to visit the site much recently. Just thought some people might be interested in the new options.

Dave

I can't find the CNC 932 on their website?

Regards
    Phil

Are these the true travel rates for cutting though. I have not looked at the machine in question but from what I recall of the smithies they have the mill column mounted over the headstock of the lathe. Therefore it will not be possible to fully utilise the full x travel of the bed. The limitor in this case will be the throat depth of the mill head. Your actual travel will be the cross slide movement in the y and the travel that you get under mill head with relation to that throat distance for the x. There are other machinnes in which the mill column is mounted to the side of the bed and these actually can use a greater portion of the x travel of the lathe bed,

From what I've found, Smithy has at least 2 different websites.

http://www.smithy.com/index.asp

http://www.smithycnc.com/index.html

Still no sight of a 932 model.

The CNC 1240 is not a 3-1 it's a square column bed mill, see smithycnc.com. I assume the new CNC 932 is similar.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by under-dog View Post
    Are these the true travel rates for cutting though. I have not looked at the machine in question but from what I recall of the smithies they have the mill column mounted over the headstock of the lathe. Therefore it will not be possible to fully utilise the full x travel of the bed. The limitor in this case will be the throat depth of the mill head. Your actual travel will be the cross slide movement in the y and the travel that you get under mill head with relation to that throat distance for the x. There are other machinnes in which the mill column is mounted to the side of the bed and these actually can use a greater portion of the x travel of the lathe bed,

Quote Originally Posted by under-dog View Post
    Are these the true travel rates for cutting though. I have not looked at the machine in question but from what I recall of the smithies they have the mill column mounted over the headstock of the lathe.
    The CNC mills are not based on the 3-in-1 machines. They are bed mills...

--- Oops! Sorry Phil I should have read down a little further before replying.

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    From what I've found, Smithy has at least 2 different websites.

http://www.smithy.com/index.asp

http://www.smithycnc.com/index.html

Still no sight of a 932 model.

Interesting... I'm comparing the specs given in the catalog I just received to the ones posted on the smithycnc website and there are a few changes.

According to the catalog, the speed has now been increased to 4500 RPM. I still see the two gear levers on the side so I'm assuming that's how you change the speed. Hmmm, but it says "Single range variable speed drive takes you from 50 to 4500 RPM's without stopping to change belts or gears"? Says it's a High Speed Geared Belt?

Also, they're showing a 2HP motor for the 1240 model and a 1.5HP motor for the 932.

I was going to scan a page from the catalog and post it, but after looking over the ad it looks like the 932 picture is identical to the 1240 picture - just scaled down a slight bit. Most of the other specs are identical for the two machines. Other changes are the 1240 has 11" of Z travel and the 932 has 10". Quill travel is 3.15" on both. Max workpiece weight on the 1240 is 594 lbs while it is 400 lbs on the 932...

Oh, they've also got a stand for under $1k that includes coolant pump and tank... Hmm... wonder if my Tormach would fit on it...

What does the smitty weigh? I wonder if it can cut through 1 inch alum plate in one pass with a HSS rougher like the tormach will.

David

Pricey at $16K for the 1240....machine weight 1000 lbs....

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX View Post
    Pricey at $16K for the 1240....machine weight 1000 lbs....
    But it's not $16k anymore... it's a little under $11k or you can get it without computer and software for $9k...

It's funny that they have it at that price on their website, because I know when it first came out it was "introductory priced" at something like $12k...

Don't know what they drop the price to if you leave off the control box and steppers, but I bet you can probably get the Geckos, breakout board, and steppers for less than they charge for it.

Also wanted to note, I'm totally pleased with my Tormach purchase. I don't think I'll be cutting through 1" aluminum plate in one pass anytime soon, but it's nice to know it can handle it... So far I do most of my cutting with a punny little 1/8" endmill...

yeah....I have seen the $12K price in some magazines.....

The bare bones machine (I think it was the 1240) is on ebay at USD 4,500 - for "buy now".

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by dammachines View Post

They don't list pricing for the Basic and Bare Bone configurations (it's says to call for details), but at $7500 it looks like the PC Ready CNC 932 is coming after the Tormach mill...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    The bare bones machine (I think it was the 1240) is on ebay at USD 4,500 - for "buy now".

Regards
    Phil
    It's funny they list as cnc, only the control & motors not included.

That would be called, a manual machine! :cheers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Smithy-CNC-1240-...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    It's funny they list as cnc, only the control & motors not included.

That would be called, a manual machine! :cheers:
    Yeah, funny they quote the Rapid feed and cutting feed rates too!

I guess they should have called it a CNC ready machine... Like the Taig I bought a few years back.

But it looks like this one has the gear drive with max speed of 2600 RPM. Must be getting rid of old stock?

this machine is really nice but it lacks spindle speed variation with only 4 speed

Hi Guys

Smithy is coming out with a New CNC Mill the CNC932 along with their previous model, the CNC1240. Both of these Mills no longer have the Gear Box Transmission. Instead they are using a VFD Controlled 3 Phase Electric Motor that drives the Spindle with a Toothed Gilmore Belt setup. This is how they can get the 50 to 4,500 rpms without changing any Gears or Belts. Both models have a Quill type Spindle. I have not seen any Pictures of either Mill, but after talking to Smithy they told me that the New Mills look similar to the older CNC1240 but with a different Head setup. X and Y Axis Ways are Dovetail with the Z having Linear Guide Bearings. Both machines have 25mm Precision Ground ANIS5 rated Ball Screws. Positioning Accuracy of 0.0005
    They are also offering four different versions of each Model.

Barebones.
    CNC Mill, One Shot Lube System. (Do not have pricing at this time)

Basic.
    CNC Mill, One Shot Lube System, Drive Motor with Cabling, 690 in. oz. Stepper Motors and Limit Switches. (Do not have pricing at this time)

PC Ready
    CNC Mill, One Shot Lube System, Drive Motor with Cabling, 690 in. oz. Stepper Motors, Limit Switches and CNC Control Box. (CNC932 - $7,495.00) (CNC1240 - $9,495.00)

SmithyCNC.
    CNC Mill, One Shot Lube System, Drive Motor with Cabling, 690 in. oz. Stepper Motors, Limit Switches, CNC Control Box, CNC Drive Computer, Monitor & Keyboard and Smithy Control Software. (CNC932 - $8,995.00) (CNC1240 - $10,995.00)

CNC932
    Travels X=20" Y=10" Z=10"
    Table size 9" x 32"
    Quill travel 3.15"
    Spindle HP = 1.5
    Machine weight = 878 lbs.

CNC1240
    Travels X=24" Y=14" Z=11"
    Table size 12" x 40"
    Quill travel 3.15"
    Spindle HP = 2
    Machine Weight = 1,023 lbs.

Hope this helps clear things up a little. I will post more information when I find out. If anyone finds out the prices of the Barebones and Basic Models, please post it here. Thanks Guys.

Regards
    Willy

I'm just happy to see someone else in the game. Overall it looks like a nice machine, and at 4500.00 not a bad deal for a "cnc ready" of that size.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Willy,

Do you now they manage to get 50 to 4,500 rpm out of a three phase motor/VFD setup with out belt changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Willyb View Post
    Hi Guys

Instead they are using a VFD Controlled 3 Phase Electric Motor that drives the Spindle with a Toothed Gilmore Belt setup. This is how they can get the 50 to 4,500 rpms without changing any Gears or Belts.

Regards
    Willy

Z looks a little short. Is the Z axis stepper also 690 oz.

The smaller model looks like a competitor for the Tormach PCNC1100 but at a premium price.

Looks like Tormach stirred the market up a bit. It's going to be interesting to see how it unfolds. I think prices are going to come down, with a fight to maitain a competitive specification. I also think X3 cnc's straight out of the box are going to start squeezing from the bottom.

Compete or die, the free market in action, great! Whose going to be the first to export their stuff back to China.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Willyb View Post
    Hi Guys

Smithy is coming out with a New CNC Mill the CNC932 along with their previous model, the CNC1240. Both of these Mills no longer have the Gear Box Transmission. Instead they are using a VFD Controlled 3 Phase Electric Motor that drives the Spindle with a Toothed Gilmore Belt setup. This is how they can get the 50 to 4,500 rpms without changing any Gears or Belts. Both models have a Quill type Spindle. I have not seen any Pictures of either Mill, but after talking to Smithy they told me that the New Mills look similar to the older CNC1240 but with a different Head setup. X and Y Axis Ways are Dovetail with the Z having Linear Guide Bearings. Both machines have 25mm Precision Ground ANIS5 rated Ball Screws. Positioning Accuracy of 0.0005
    They are also offering four different versions of each Model.

Barebones.
    CNC Mill, One Shot Lube System. (Do not have pricing at this time)

Basic.
    CNC Mill, One Shot Lube System, Drive Motor with Cabling, 690 in. oz. Stepper Motors and Limit Switches. (Do not have pricing at this time)

PC Ready
    CNC Mill, One Shot Lube System, Drive Motor with Cabling, 690 in. oz. Stepper Motors, Limit Switches and CNC Control Box. (CNC932 - $7,495.00) (CNC1240 - $9,495.00)

SmithyCNC.
    CNC Mill, One Shot Lube System, Drive Motor with Cabling, 690 in. oz. Stepper Motors, Limit Switches, CNC Control Box, CNC Drive Computer, Monitor & Keyboard and Smithy Control Software. (CNC932 - $8,995.00) (CNC1240 - $10,995.00)

CNC932
    Travels X=20" Y=10" Z=10"
    Table size 9" x 32"
    Quill travel 3.15"
    Spindle HP = 1.5
    Machine weight = 878 lbs.

CNC1240
    Travels X=24" Y=14" Z=11"
    Table size 12" x 40"
    Quill travel 3.15"
    Spindle HP = 2
    Machine Weight = 1,023 lbs.

Hope this helps clear things up a little. I will post more information when I find out. If anyone finds out the prices of the Barebones and Basic Models, please post it here. Thanks Guys.

Regards
    Willy

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Hi Willy,

Do you now they manage to get 50 to 4,500 rpm out of a three phase motor/VFD setup with out belt changes?
    I called Smithy to get a Quote on the CNC932. Tom told me that they no longer were using the Shiftable Gear Box and had switched to a Gilmor Belt Drive system and VFD. He said that the older Gear Box setup was to noisey.

Quote from Smithy Sales Flyer:

High Speed Geared Belt
    "Maximum power at low speeds, "whisper quiet" at even the highest RPM. Single range variable speed drive takes you from 50 to 4,500 RPM's without stopping to change belts or gears."

Call Smithy and ask for their Flyer.

Willy

Page 1 of 2 12