585,996 active members*
4,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > HSMXpress problem loading turning tools

HSMXpress problem loading turning tools

Hi all.

I know this isn't a SolidWorks forum but it's the only place I found to discuss HSMX so I hope someone here can answer my question. Whenever I try to load a general turning tool, I get a error message "Unknown parameter 'tool_maximumSpindelSpeed'". Searching around a bit, I can see that there is no turning module in HSMXpress much to my dismay. So I guess this is the reason I can't select these tools? In such a case, I can't understand why they are included in HSMXpress.

In any case, is there any free CAM solution out there for turning? I'd greatly prefer for it to either integrate in SW or Inventor, but beggars can't be choosers so any suggestions would be welcome. Mainly what I'd like to do is simulate operations so I can determine the approximate time needed to machine a part based on tool cutting parameters, spindle speeds, etc....

Re: HSMXpress problem loading turning tools

Yeah, there is no turning in HSMXpress. I didn't even notice the turning tools were in there until just now. Does seem a bit odd but the tool library is undergoing an overhaul right now, so maybe this will change in the future.

As far as I know there will never be turning in HSMXpress. Fusion360 is free for hobbyists and startups, and will get turning sometime in the future (6 months maybe?).

C|

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    Yeah, there is no turning in HSMXpress. I didn't even notice the turning tools were in there until just now. Does seem a bit odd but the tool library is undergoing an overhaul right now, so maybe this will change in the future.

As far as I know there will never be turning in HSMXpress. Fusion360 is free for hobbyists and startups, and will get turning sometime in the future (6 months maybe?).

C|
    Thanks for the fusion tip. I'll look into it.

As Cygnus x-1 said there isn’t support for turning in HSMXpress. The reason the tool library still has it in it is simply because there is only one library. There isn’t one for HSMWorks and HSMXpress it’s the same one. This helps in a couple of ways. The first is that you can share the same library between HSMWorks users and HSMXpress users. That way if you’re in a large company everyone can be using the same tools. The second thing is if you decide to upgrade to HSMWorks you won’t have to redo your library you can just install and keep working away.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCamMan View Post
    As Cygnus x-1 said there isn’t support for turning in HSMXpress. The reason the tool library still has it in it is simply because there is only one library. There isn’t one for HSMWorks and HSMXpress it’s the same one. This helps in a couple of ways. The first is that you can share the same library between HSMWorks users and HSMXpress users. That way if you’re in a large company everyone can be using the same tools. The second thing is if you decide to upgrade to HSMWorks you won’t have to redo your library you can just install and keep working away.
    Thanks for the insight. Meanwhile, still looking for a turning solution.