585,886 active members*
5,848 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

I need some bids on lathe work

Hello, I have a tormach mill, but no lathe. I Have a manual lathe, but I really dont have time to run it. I am needing some parts turned and would like to give some fellow Tormach owners first shot at it. It will be fairly low volume, but a simple job. I prefer to use a home machinist rather than a full production shop due to specific requirements. I prefer South Central US as I am in Arkansas and would like to keep ship times low. The job will be turning gun barrels to my profile and threading 1/2-28 it is a straight profile and I can provide drawings and muzzle protectors. If interested PM me for more info.

Re: I need some bids on lathe work

Quote Originally Posted by Strip View Post
    Hello, I have a tormach mill, but no lathe. I Have a manual lathe, but I really dont have time to run it. I am needing some parts turned and would like to give some fellow Tormach owners first shot at it. It will be fairly low volume, but a simple job. I prefer to use a home machinist rather than a full production shop due to specific requirements. I prefer South Central US as I am in Arkansas and would like to keep ship times low. The job will be turning gun barrels to my profile and threading 1/2-28 it is a straight profile and I can provide drawings and muzzle protectors. If interested PM me for more info.
    Don't want to scare anyone away, but profiling gun barrels is not a simple job =) I have profiled quite a few of my own for custom contours before chambering, and stringing a 26" barrel (my jobs) between centers while trying to reduce chatter and fight a follower rest wasn't fun. It is usually suggested by larger gun shops just to send the barrels back to the mfg to be contoured as they have the proper equipment and know the setups, speeds and feeds required to achieve a decent surface finish.

You don't mention the required tolerances on the 1/2-28 threads, but if they are to be used with a silencer, then you are talking at most 0.003" radial runout (measured from the centerline of the bore). This also might require custom tooling and fixtures for barrel holding. Generally, one would want to be able to adjust radially and axially in order to achieve those required tolerances.

Best of luck with your bids!

Yes, you are somewhat correct. I have been building custom barrels for 20 years and in most cases the factors you are stating will apply. But, this situation is nowhere near that precise, except of course for the threads. This job can be turned with a good 3 jaw chuck and a tailstock with a brass muzzle protector. Barrel lengths will all be 18" with a stepped but straight profile. A follower rest will not be required but conservative cuts will be. Final finishing will be done in my shop so tool marks are not an issue. I am looking for quality work, not a perfect finish.

I am not set up for profiling barrels due to length and follower but I am set up for precision muzzle threading and crowning. I'm not using a Tormach lathe but do have an 1100. I am setting up a new shop now and should be back up and running full speed mid- August. I'm sure you'll be able to find this all done closer to you at a single location, but if not, let me know and I'll work up a price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPv5N3rIhgk

That is very nice! I would really like to talk to you about this and maybe doing some short barrels for me.