584,830 active members*
5,676 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post Intermac 4000 software upgrade

Hello All,

I'm new to CNCs and I'm working on a project to upgrade 3 Intermac 4000 controllers to version 4D and from CAD/CAM 2.1 to 3.1. I want to know if somebody has gone through the same path, what recommendations you have and what could be the best procedure to do it.

Any advise is highly appreciated.

Gustavo.

where are you having trouble?
    is it installing the upgrade or using the upgrade software?
    I use 3.1 or newer on the machines here.
    I'll try to answer any question you have

As I told before, I'm a complete newbie. We are plannig for this upgrade. We want to define tools and procedures from scratch for the new version instead of using the old definitions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Gustavo.

I have done complete install (from 3.1), then patch 3.2, then patch 3.3
    I only use old tool setting for speeds and feeds. (if not same machine these may need adjusted)
    Always measure new tool sets from scratch.
    The tool path in Stonecam is more "controllable" if the controller uses the same settings.
    (when i started here, Stonecam used the major diameters, the controller was setup for minors. Then offset to match. What a nightmare!)

have you setup any tooling?
    CNC newbie or just Stonecam?

CNC Newbie. Actually I'm the IT guy and I'm in charge of the project. I need to stablish an upgrade procedure with times and necessary resources but documentation on this is not avilable. I've been looking for information the last 3 weeks but with little success.

If you can tell me your upgrade story that could be helpful :rainfro:

Thanks,

Gustavo

Lets not go thru that again. Once was more than enough for me.
    Lets get you upgraded.

Make some lists.
    1) all StoneCam tool settings you use now... size, speed, feed, tool #, type, lead in angle, overlap....(For you non Intermac/Stonecam viewers: Speed=spindle RPM) This is the info in your PC.
    2) all StoneCam tool machining sequence settings.
    3) all machine tool data. This is the info on the 4000. It is helpfull if you are familiar with the current (amps from display) draw, sounds and finishes of current tools. Be sure to include ALL offsets in your list!
    4) make backup copies of current install and tool data
    5) decide when you can best afford the downtime for the upgrade. (what is more important? Getting back up yesterday, or getting a clean well documented upgrade/setup?)

Make sure you notice Radius vs Diameter when collecting data.
    Printing is nice, but fair warning, the print command from a tool sequence will print a seperate page for each step in the sequence.
    I found a spreadsheet was a much easier to way to track data.

Once you have this info, I would recommend you set up a tool AND a machining sequence before you start the upgrade.
    Use existing tools and sequence, but give new tool/sequence #.
    This will help you find data that didn't occur to you as helpful.
    In this way, you will be ready to set up your new tooling more quickly and with more confidence, without total shutdown.

Being a newbie, it may be hard to ask the right question.
    There is a tutorial from Intermac. I will have to load it to my sever as it is too big to post here.
    Tool setting begins on page 29
    MAKE BACKUPS!

Jest, Thanks a lot for your information. If you can point me to the tutorial I'll appreciate it veru much.

I've been putting together all the information I can find abou it and your steps have been of great help.

Thanks Again.

Gustavo.

Glad its going well
    I just finished a scratch 3.3 install to a Master33 (from fresh xp install...)
    At least I didnt have to reset tools (good backups of data).
    Because I just did this and how many times I clicked "yes" to "I will not reveal any imformation" while installing software.... I want to ask if I can tranfer "unaltered" info without trouble.
    If not I will type out step by step instructions for you to set up mills, profile and polish.

Quick info for backup on the OT-1500:

- Execute F28 on Floppy and E: Drive ( on the NC Control )

- File DBtools.mdb = "C:\Windows\Wintag\Gestag\DBtools.mdb" ( Tool database on StoneCAM )

This is the tool data on the CNC controller and the matching Stonecam tool data from your PC

I just thought of something else. I am unsure about your control operating system. We have an OT1500 that is DOS based. Really! Boots to Dos5 or 6...
    The system is probably set up in a way that gives you no access to C or D drive of the controller. You will need to create a DOS based network boot disk to backup C and D drives. I knew there was reason I kept all my DOS install disks. lol

I'm sorry I've been disconnected for a long time but now I'm back to this project. We have OSAI S10 Controllers.

I would like to know you can send me the information about the upgrade.

Regards,

Gustavo.

If you have the backups of tool data and your drawings (tag files) then the upgrade is cake walk. Like all Windows installs, long and slow! lol

I also am a member of StoneAdvice.com. If you register, you can request entry to a private forum moderated by Frank Micalizzi, (AGM pres).
    It would help me avoid getting into that "proprietary info" trap.
    I have spent alot of time translating the Italian comments/notes for most every file on the controller drive (C,D,E,& F), and the pc. I am paranoid I could reveal something innocent that might burn me. Intermac is NOT NOT NOT open source. lol

Not to take anything from CNCzone.com (by mentioning another forum)
    I prefer this site and I am far more interested in New technology than new dos based control systems. Lots of potential in cutting stone, but stoneage thinking!!!

You are not also trying to upgrade the controller software are you? (there are other backups FOR SURE if so)

Also, FYI. If anyone else has dead LCD for the OpLink control panel. I have sourced replacement LCD's complete with inverter and cables.

Re: Intermac 4000 software upgrade

Hi I'm Tony do you have any ideas for process pump replacement or alternative? Thanks