585,758 active members*
4,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > A Little 4th Axis Diamond Drag Engraving

A Little 4th Axis Diamond Drag Engraving

I'm putting this out there for the folks that might not be familiar with how drag engraving looks. I tend to use the diamond drag more and more these days when I don't plan on filling the engraving work with Dykem or another contrast filler. The 90 degree tool provides very fine lines in stainless steel. The 120 degree tool is more visible from different angles, but I typically have to run heavier spring pressure and/or multiple passes to get depth without burrs. It's a good tool to have in your engraving arsenal.

https://youtu.be/XdswlEzv5Og

Re: A Little 4th Axis Diamond Drag Engraving

Haven't been doing much here lately due to health issues so I'm sorry for not contributing more :-(.

Thanks for posting
    Nice spear

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Haven't been doing much here lately due to health issues so I'm sorry for not contributing more :-(.

Thank you CadRhino. I want to make many more things like that, but duty calls in the mean time...sigh. I hope that being able to see the action can help some of the Newbs understand if they should really invest in tooling and/or adopt a new method. When I was starting out there was a pretty limited universe of reviews. This forum, YouTube, Instagram etc. have really helped me along. Figure that I might as well give back and show some of my favorites, as well as examples of folly when I can.

Looks great!

Thanks jcposada. It was a pretty fun project. I do certainly enjoy making knives and knife accessories in my spare time. Having the right equipment available certainly makes the process much more fun and efficient.

Very Nice craftsmanship! One of my life long learning passions is hoplology. Looks like a sarissa,
    A type of spear or pike other types are glaives, poleaxes, halberds, svärdstav and naginata.
    I enjoy your add version of videos , I suffer from this affliction also.
    md

Thanks MD! It's funny because nowadays when people read hoptology they think that you are referring to craft beer. That experience is probably not as "crisp" as the tried and true practice that you reference here. I tend to gravitate to the Russian Rogatina (AKA Bear Spear that also served faithfully in combat situations) for design inspiration these days.

I admit that the add is getting bad here as I get older! I blame it on a congeries of finite mental resources wasted "listening generously" to wannabe C-suite types during conference calls and KPI reviews during a past life. It is now SOOO hard to focus on anything that isn't shiny, captivating or at least a little fun. This type of work really breaks things up nicely.