585,997 active members*
4,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PathPilot kernal for $10

Has anyone ordered and received the PathPilot code for the price of $10 yet?

If so what did include?

Also, loving the Smooooth operation of my machine now, really thought out well, kudos Tormach!!!! Very impressed.

Now I just need to get under the hood and make some custom changes for my needs.

jh

Re: PathPilot kernal for $10

Where did you find info to buy the code. I looked on the web site and could not find any info on it.

Dave

its in the user agreement when you load it that you must agree to, but, if I read it correctly, its available for only 3 years after it ships to you, but its not available until 2017 something?????? I have to go back and read that second part again but I have a set up right now.

jh

Looks like I won't be getting it soon if ever.

Here's the text:
    You may obtain the complete Corresponding Source (as defined the GPL) to the Tormach Software for a period of three (3) years after Tormach’s last shipment of the Tormach Software, which will be no earlier than 2017-08-01, by sending a money order or check for US$10.00 to:
    GPL Compliance Division
    Tormach Inc.
    etc.

Step

OK If I am reading this correctly it has to do with Tormach's shipments of Tormach software and not 3 years after I get the software IE path pilot. So if I contact the GPL Compliance Division and request a copy and send them a check for $10 they will send me the requested software.
    Is that how you read this.

Dave

Yeah, that's what I was told also from Tormach. So I'm sending it our today.

Now to find a programmer to help me with my tweeking needs. Anyone know a good programer?

jh

Do you have links to this information? Would this allow someone to potentially use path pilot on another mill?

I am interested in this and I found that if you Google Pathpilot GPL you can find several articles and discussions on this. I have not read all to figure out what it all means yet though. it sure would be nice if I could use it on my Bridgeport. It would be even better if someone that knew programming took the best parts of Pathpilot and the best parts of LinuxCNC and made a version that could be used on any machine. Unfortunately, I am not that person.

Are you sure that this is for the PathPilot front end or simply the source for the coordinated motion source code? The work Kernal normally implies only the low level software.

I called a couple weeks ago, and they said I was the first person to ask about the source code. I think it might just be the motion source code. Almost all of the UI is written in python, so you can see the code anyways in the standard distribution. I decided not to get it, and so far I've been able to modify everything I've wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by phoneman View Post
    Where did you find info to buy the code. I looked on the web site and could not find any info on it.

Dave
    Here's what Tormach said when asked directly (quoted with permission):

"The kernel that PathPilot runs on top of is RTAI. This kernel is available on the web.

The motion control code is mostly LinuxCNC, also available for download here. We have made changes to LinuxCNC, many of which (e.g. the trajectory planner improvements) have been merged back into LinuxCNC and are available in the current version. The changes that we have made to LinuxCNC that were not merged back in are mostly related to how we update the software (from a single file on a USB stick rather than using a command line terminal interface).

The user interface written by Tormach, and is distributed with the PathPilot controller.

If you want the whole enchilada all on one disc, you would mail the $10 check to:

GPL Compliance Division
    Tormach Inc.
    1071 Uniek Drive
    Waunakee, WI 53597999

Please write “Source Code for Machine Controller Software” in the memo line of your payment."

Links:

https://www.rtai.org/
    LinuxCNC.org
    Download Information