585,885 active members*
6,203 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting advice needed

Hi,

I have a 60 watt laser cutter and i need to cut some designs from 1.5mm thick birch plywood. Every attempt so far has resulted in needing in excess of 10 passes, and the edges are badly charred by the time it's cut through.
    Has anyone got any suggestions on laser power and feed speed requirements for this material.

Thanks
    Nina

It sounds like it could be a focus problem. How are you setting your focal point.

I would concur with the focus problem. I have a 40 watt laser, and focused properly, no problem cutting that thick in one pass. I cut 1/8" MDF and Acrylic no problem.

Is it at its correct focal length?
    Are the mirrors aligned correctly?
    Is the laser power at 100%?
    Are you going too fast?

Could be any of the above, what model laser is it and what software?

Where do you find a laser. What kind of cost are you talking about. Thanks

Ninauk

Definitely sounds like a focus problem and that would be the first thing I would check. Have you tried cutting any other materials since this incident? Such as an equivalent size in acrylic, if you are experiencing no problems then it can only be the type of plywood that you are cutting. Plywood is made of layers of veneers and glued between the sheets, it could be that your laser is having problems with the resins in the glue and it might not be your cutter.

My two suggestions. Check your focusing, if necessary check with your handbook or allow the machine to use it's autofocus. TWO, change your material