584,808 active members*
5,134 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Shizuoka AN-S

I bought this machine about a year ago thinking the price was right for what I got. $600 for machine, $400 to move it to my shop.
    It came with, what at the time was all the component's to complete, they were just scattered everywhere.
    I spent this last year getting all the mechanical side rebuilt and have now gotten to the interface side and I realized this is way too advanced for me.
    I was hoping maybe I could get some help or feedback from a few of you folks.

It has (2) Emerson DX-316 and (1) DX318 drives,
    with DXE-316W motors.
    it has an interface board that goes to a pc that uses mach 3 software.

My biggest question are where do I hook up all the extras?
    limit switches
    variable speed motor and sensor switch
    etc...

Attachment 285192

Attachment 285194

Re: Shizuoka AN-S

Shiz AN-S are one of the best and heaviest knee mills ever built. Looks like you scored and have put a lot of elbow grease into the old girl.

I'm guessing you acquired it with the Emerson drives, and a breakout? Sounds as though someone had done or was doing a retrofit before you?

In order to receive help, your audience will need to know model and make of your interface or break-out board. Any pictures of it or electrical wiring diagram for it will help you and others to help you immensely.

It is also unclear if you are trying to use the old Shiz's pneumatic/ mechanical variable speed drive to adjust the spindle sheaves or using a vfd (although none in phot or mentioned.)

With servos, limit switches become more important for safety and prevent mechanical failures (crashes).

A common approach that I like, is to start with a single axis, e.g. 'X', mechanically disconnect the motor from the ballscrew, wire and test each component and function. MACH3 -> drive -> motor, Mach3/drive <- encoder, Mach 3 <- X=, X-, Xhome, After or while confirming outputs are functional, verify Mach 3 display axis/spindle direction are in agreement with direction, then magnitude or location. This will get you through all the necessities and familiarity of a single loop, rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat....

Save the spindle motor and speed for a later day.

Good lucks, congrats, and looks like you have a 'keeper.'

Here's a few pics to show what I have. It has a built in phase converter as far as I can tell.

Attachment 285320
    Attachment 285322

I will try to whisper, it looks like you stole the machine for $600. Came with the VFD? The AN-S typically came with a 5 hp spindle motor. Unfortunately this is usually the price break point for inexpensive single phase supply VFDs. Not impossible, so check the input wiring to VFD. It is also possible they used an oversized drive, compare your motor full load amps (from nameplate) to the VFD amperage rating. If VFD is capable of 1.73 times the motors full load or greater, you can likely run single phase. Some drives will check input line voltages to verify all three legs are there and fault if one is low or 'missing.' Or it is properly sized 5 hp (3.7 kW) drive for 3 phase supply. Either way, a great score, your in the home stretch (well, nearly.)

You will need to look for a silkscreen logo, manufacturer's name, or model on your breakout board (bob) and start searching the web for schematic and manual. It looks new enough that you should find what you need. You might luck out that another forum member recognizes it on sight and can give a hand.

You will also want to find documents on your Emerson servo drives. I don't see any wires to your bob, so looks like you still need to wire up the drives. Unless they run somewhere else to a separate interface or direct to PC. I would guess they accept step and direction input and is why they were chosen, you will need to determine this.

Looks like your Emerson drives might be 'positioning' drives, meaning the control loop is a function of the error in position. Historically not the preferred choice in machining applications. Commonly a torque mode drive is used or torque and velocity. I'm not sure what implications this will have, depends on the age or rather the implementation of the drive's control. In older drives I would suspect a position drive might be lacking in correcting when under heavy cutting loads or transient loads, which would imply on overall reduced velocity to try and reduce this load error. Older positioning drives were typically used in low load applications, where the only goal was to get something in the right place at the right time with no to little counter forces. Such as oxy fuel or plasma cutters, 3D printers, measuring systems, packaging equipment, etc. You will want to find a manual to verify.

it appears this is what I have.

I have thought about pulling drives and motors and selling them on ebay and starting over with a different controller.
    What do you think?

Attachment 285714

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	board.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	285716

Looks like good and bad news. Looks as though someone previously down-sized your spindle motor to 2 hp. You can still do a lot, but you won't be able to hog out as much material that the 5 hp would have powered you through. I'm willing to bet the VFD is a single phase supply, as well. Try to find the nameplate data on the drive.

Regarding your Emerson drives and motors, it really depends what you have in mind for this machine. If all you ever do is drill hole patterns, you shouldn't have any problems, as long as you don't get carried away with z feed rates.

As little as you have in it, and if you don't need this up and going for an income stream, I would suggest wiring up what you have. It is nearly there and you will still learn a lot which would help you out if you do want to change them out down the road. There are a lot of variables in how easy or difficult it will be to unload those drives and motors to someone else.

New motors and drives won't be cheap, especially if you decide on going for AC servo drives. The drive's control signal will affect your BOB or interface hardware choice, which may influence your controller choice.

You really seem to know what your talking about so I would appreciate if you would look at this thread now and then cause I will really need some help.
    I will attempt to get started and see how far I can get.

Im not new to this CNC game. Was writing code by hand back in the early 80's and have been programming in Mastercam since version 7
    I currently sit in front of X9 Mastercam programming just about any machine you can think of.

I built and design my own 3d printer from scratch and that's kinda how this whole mill thing got started.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1061[1].jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	285780

I have an AN-S that has been working great for me after converting it to linuxCNC. See https://sites.google.com/site/yeltro...cnc-conversion

My variable speed belt in the CVT at the top is getting pretty flappy. Has anyone bought a replacement and know where to get one?

Quote Originally Posted by sparks-n-chips View Post
    I have an AN-S that has been working great for me after converting it to linuxCNC. See https://sites.google.com/site/yeltro...cnc-conversion

My variable speed belt in the CVT at the top is getting pretty flappy. Has anyone bought a replacement and know where to get one?
    No idea, but if you find out let me know. I'm in the midst of rehabbing an AN-S.

Maybe try V Belt Supply https://www.vbeltsupply.com/

or

Ametric https://www.ametric.com/s-2672-varia...ed-metric.aspx

If you guys don't have the number of the belt, I could go look at mine.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Maybe try V Belt Supply https://www.vbeltsupply.com/

or

Ametric https://www.ametric.com/s-2672-varia...ed-metric.aspx

If you guys don't have the number of the belt, I could go look at mine.
    Jim -- Thank you for those links -- I DO NOT have the number of the belt. If you could please share, that would be very helpful. Do you have a photo of your machine? Mine is a square head AN-S.

https://sites.google.com/site/yeltro...cnc-conversion

Lots of misc. photos of mine and the old guts.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...jQ?usp=sharing

Gates 2626V369

https://www.vbeltsupply.com/gates-26....html?___SID=U

Nice job on the retrofit.

Here is mine.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Tool changer!!! Schwing! How bad was changing the belt? It looks like it might be awful.

Also -- Muchas gracias for the belt part #. I want to have that on hand for when mine finally blows. I also want to have a pile of all the bearings ready to go. Muzzer on LinuxCNC has been good about providing motivation to rebuild it when I can take the downtime. IF ANYONE HAS A LIST OF BEARINGS OR SOME INVOICES ON THEIR REBUILD, THAT WOULD BE A HOME RUN. Otherwise, I guess I will pull them all out, measure them, and have them overnighted.

Tool changer!!! Schwing! How bad was changing the belt? It looks like it might be awful.

Changing the belt wasn't too bad.

I cut a piece of 1 1/2 inch pipe about 1 1/2 inches long and cut it in half lengthwise. Then opened up the pulley and stuffed the piece of pipe into the gap right around the shaft to hold the pulley open. Note: Weld a piece of small chain onto the piece of pipe so you can pull it out, I didn't and it was rather a PITA to pry it out of there. Worked like a charm on my other mill when I did a belt change.

Then it just a matter of removing the power drawbar, open up the other pulley, remove the motor, and pull off the top housing.

Reverse the procedure to reassemble.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thank you for sharing the photos. It looks like it will be an engineering exercise. I wonder if I will have the ceiling height I need to do mine when the time comes. I want to put a ceiling in at about 9'4" in my shop to help with heating. Thank you for the pulley spreader advice. I was afraid the belt change was invasive. It does seem that it would be the opportune time to replace my dead back-gear and put new bearings in everything in the head. Maybe this will be the Christmas holiday shutdown project. Again - if anyone has invoices, packing slips or anything else like that for rebuilding the head such that I can get them bought before doing the job, that would be a goldmine.

Also -- Muchas gracias for the belt part #. I want to have that on hand for when mine finally blows. I also want to have a pile of all the bearings ready to go. Muzzer on LinuxCNC has been good about providing motivation to rebuild it when I can take the downtime. IF ANYONE HAS A LIST OF BEARINGS OR SOME INVOICES ON THEIR REBUILD, THAT WOULD BE A HOME RUN. Otherwise, I guess I will pull them all out, measure them, and have them overnighted.
    I've just done the x and y axis leadscrews, they were 25x52x12 6205 bearings. Some were 6205Z others were 6205ZZ, I replaced them all with 6205ZZ. Anything other than the spindle isn't going to see speed or heat, so I just put in generics.

Does anyone have any hints on how to pull the y-axis ball screw? I think it is possible to do without pulling the knee, just not sure how to do it.

Thanks!

Thank you for sharing the photos. It looks like it will be an engineering exercise. I wonder if I will have the ceiling height I need to do mine when the time comes. I want to put a ceiling in at about 9'4" in my shop to help with heating. Thank you for the pulley spreader advice. I was afraid the belt change was invasive. It does seem that it would be the opportune time to replace my dead back-gear and put new bearings in everything in the head. Maybe this will be the Christmas holiday shutdown project. Again - if anyone has invoices, packing slips or anything else like that for rebuilding the head such that I can get them bought before doing the job, that would be a goldmine.
    Hello
    I have a SHIZUOKA STN , I am looking for plastic back gear. Can you give me a source.
    Thanks
    Gregg

Page 1 of 2 12