584,808 active members*
5,053 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 94 of 107 44849293949596104
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2130

Re: OmioCNC report

Nah it’s not of NO use. It’s fine for light work. Same as any of those three four hundred dollar eBay fourths.

I don’t regret getting it with mine, especially after a bit of time with it. Now I have a bit of a feel for it I can adapt the toolpaths to minimise offset radial loads and wring the best performance out of it I can.

But the next step up is either some serious DIY or a few grand for heavy duty stuff.

Even if you’re gonna go nuts, get their 4th as a learning step. If you can’t make it work, get better. Or build it

Hi Guys I finally made a dustshoe for my Omio and it works great.
    Only tried it on wood at this stage. I had to 3D Print it from a file I got from
    Thingiverse and the moustache from ebay. I had to file the back off it to fit
    b/w the spindle and Z Axis ledge and it just slips over the spindle with a bit of a tight fit so it should hold.
    cheers
    Nick

I thought I tightened up the bit in the collet pretty tight but it must have come loose and ground the inside of the collet away as there are absolutely no scars on the bit.
    This is the omio collet I got with the machine, so I suppose I need to replace it? Are the ebay ones any good?
    Any thoughts here for collets etc?
    cheers
    Nick

I bought a 1-13mm set from fleaBay for about forty bucks when I got the machine and it's still going strong.

The eBay ones are just as good (or not good) as the one that shipped with your machine. Let's face it: these machines aren't being used to shave molecule-thin slivers of glass off lenses. A little bit of runout won't make a huge difference in the job accuracy given the overall scheme of things.

I too bought a set from ebay:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drillpro-...72.m2749.l2649
    They seem to work fine, the only thing is they don't click into the collet nut as securely as they perhaps should but once tightened they hold just fine. I did consider just buying the size I needed (13mm) but decided to go for the whole set and I'm glad I did as I have been using various twist drills in it so needed the other sizes. Mine takes an ER20 collet but check what yours is before ordering.

Interesting about the dust shoe Nick. I'd spotted that one online, it's by Boyan Silyavski who is a regular contributor on the mycncuk forum too. I had dismissed it thinking that there would be too much material behind the spindle but I'm interested that you got it to fit ok. What I really would like to make is the "floating dust shoe" by cncswede on youtube, it looks the business but I doubt the acrylic would be strong enough in the critical spindle/z plate area. Maybe it's time I got into 3d printing?!

I take it back what I said about the collets not clicking in properly. I've just checked them and they are absolutely fine. I've not used any less than 3mm yet (and doubt I ever will) so can't vouch for the accuracy of those but, overall, I'm more than happy, certainly at that price.

I got a set of 'precision' 0.005mm runout collets off eBay second hand (one had been used once) for £30 or so. They do feel a lot nicer, just holding it in your hand you can tell the difference in quality to the cheapo ebay collets I've had, they're a lot smoother and shinier, nice rounded edges, they really snap in to the collet but perfectly and just feel a lot more sturdy. I wouldn't have paid the new price for them because they wouldn't be worth it, there is a lot more than 0.005mm potential for error in the rest of the machine (just breathing near it causes the gantry to deflect more than that). But they might be a little helpful for cutting aluminium, where any reduction in run out is going to help prevent chatter. That said I can't say I've noticed any difference whatsoever between using eBay collets or the better ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well my dustshoe really seems to work ok. I tested it again yesterday and the work area was clean as a whistle. I have only tested it on wood at this stage but it should work for aluminium maybe except for deep grooves where a compressed air gun might be the go. The floating shoe by cncswede looks great and very high tech and innovative but if mine just works ok then I'm happy with that. I started off doing some 3d printing a few years ago and you cant go past prusa i3 (wishlist) and Tevo little monster machines (the one I have) and simplify3d software, its amazing what you can make! its fun and there's lots of stuff you can get from thingiverse for free - I dont know why we dont have something like that for our cnc stuff, it would be nice to get some free models to make! cheers Nick

Quote Originally Posted by MambaDesigns View Post
    Interesting about the dust shoe Nick. I'd spotted that one online, it's by Boyan Silyavski who is a regular contributor on the mycncuk forum too. I had dismissed it thinking that there would be too much material behind the spindle but I'm interested that you got it to fit ok. What I really would like to make is the "floating dust shoe" by cncswede on youtube, it looks the business but I doubt the acrylic would be strong enough in the critical spindle/z plate area. Maybe it's time I got into 3d printing?!

Lets just hope they dont come out of the same chinese factory! It would not surprise me. My mate always buys the cheap ones and I try and get the so called better ones, and he has never had any problems so far with the cheapies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    That said I can't say I've noticed any difference whatsoever between using eBay collets or the better ones.

Not sure why this is happening but it has happened a few times now. During a finishing pass that starts off nice and is doing what it should, it suddenly slips or skips off to one side a bit and ruins the finishing pass?
    I have used these files before and had success making exactly the same thing, but 3 times now my cnc machine has been thrown out of whack. I have tried the usual rewinding the code say 100 lines back and starting up again, but it does not fix the issue which is that it is out of whack and it throws the job home position out of whack too, so not really something I can fix or continue from. Anyone step in here?
    cheers
    Nick

It sounds like a stepper's skipping. Maybe an acceleration issue or on a corner it's taking just a little bit too savage of a bite or something and the pulse of force is overwhelming the motor?

OmioCNC report

First thing, check the coupler is snug. Second thing, **** your pants because it's probably electrical

What are you running mach3 on? Some people have problems with their PC or laptop unable to keep a constant stream of code buffering, and the machine stalls momentarily once it finally picks up again.

Does it make a horrible noise or does it just quietly go off course randomly without warning? I have had both things happen to me, the horrible noise one was due to a crap power supply. I've had it randomly go off course twice both times near the end of long jobs, don't know what caused that.

Funny you should mention that. The only thing different that I am doing now is using the dust-shoe and I did notice that there is an area on the hairs that look like they have fouled with the bit - or something? Maybe there is a spot where the hairs get tangled in the bit and it throws it out of whack? Got me thinking thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    It sounds like a stepper's skipping. Maybe an acceleration issue or on a corner it's taking just a little bit too savage of a bite or something and the pulse of force is overwhelming the motor?

I am running M3 on a laptop, so maybe that has something to do with it, but I have done this piece before using the same equipment and it worked fine.
    No there is no horrible noise, I have had that happen on another job, luckily there is slip in the motor couplers that stopped any real damage, will look again into all of that..
    cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    First thing, check the coupler is snug. Second thing, **** your pants because it's probably electrical

What are you running mach3 on? Some people have problems with their PC or laptop unable to keep a constant stream of code buffering, and the machine stalls momentarily once it finally picks up again.

Does it make a horrible noise or does it just quietly go off course randomly without warning? I have had both things happen to me, the horrible noise one was due to a crap power supply. I've had it randomly go off course twice both times near the end of long jobs, don't know what caused that.

you cant do any real damage with this machine other than to your tool bit. Your motor couplers shouldn't have any slip at all.

When you run the program is it always skipping in the same place? check that your dust boot isn't hitting any hard parts around anywhere while running the finishing pass.

Missed steps could maybe be power supply on it's way out?

I reran the job from the start, this time without the dust-shoe for the finishing part.
    Twice now with the dustshoe on it has fouled up at around the same spot about 10 mins or so into a 2hr job..
    This time without the dustshoe it got to 90% complete and then just stopped?? I tried to restart but it was out of whack?
    It has just stopped before as well on another job and when I tried to restart it was out of whack.
    Not sure what is going on.
    The photo shows how the bit went way too far after it had fouled with the dustshoe (removed) and the job restarted.
    This is what I mean by out of whack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180823_155227.jpg  

Normally when people say "out of whack" it's a couple of tenths of a millimetre. That's a little more convincing of a job!

When it just stopped, was the spindle still running and if so did it momentarily dip out? That'd indicate a power bounce on the controller which, on the black boxes, comes from the computer.

Did Mach3 say anything when it stopped? Did it stop on the line on which the machine had stopped? Or did it play through to the end of the program leaving the machine waiting?

Did you end up grounding the frame? Different results but this kind of hokiness went away when I did that. Personally my next step would be grab another computer and see if the problem follows you. Even a $30 bunky from gumtree would do for this if you don't have another laying about. If it isn't the computer (ie it happens again) next step is to see if it will play the path happily with the spindle off. This way you eliminate the biggest source of noise. If that fixes it, it's time to look at some shielding or cable routing changes to keep the noise away from the USB cable and the breakout board in the black box.

No easy answer I'm afraid, you're going to need to put your super sleuth hat on and start eliminating possible causes one by one.

What Dharmic said....
    I don't know where to start.....
    If it takes 2 hours to fail......maybe it is rated to to heat? Maybe check your components next time it fails. Have you got any air flow through your controller?

I ahd a problem with my X61500GT that I didn't discover for 3 years....The Y axis had 2.6mm of misaligment between the Ball Nut and the carriage. It was binding.
    Steppers could overcome the extra load to a certain extent.

With all power OFF the machine wind all the axis's for full travel in BOTH direction by hand ( do you have knobs on the back of your steppers? )
    They all should be VERY free with NO binding.

I found 2 issues. Misalignement AND Ballscrew was binding in 1 Direction only! Could only feel it with this test.

I had to mostly dismantle my machine to re-shim and setup axis. tool a long time......

Steve

Mine has a similar issue. Except my X ballscrew is slightly too long. It has bent slightly in one place.

If you're getting the find no xhcpod error (or whatever it says) it's probably due to interference. I had issues with that right until I got a proper copper braided CY cable on my spindle, and on the odd rare occasion it does still crap out. USB isn't the best here. I also took the VFD out of the black box and set it out to the side, routed the spindle cable in the opposite direction and kept the USB cable as far away from it as I could, making sure they do not cross paths.

Page 94 of 107 44849293949596104