584,833 active members*
5,497 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 85 of 107 3575838485868795
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2130

Re: OmioCNC report

ok...I'm wondering if somehow the pulse count setting on your controller has been changed/corrupted?

that would give you a stretch/shrink on the y axis...it is a computer, and these things do happen.

Lube...I like this stuff because it seems the wood dust and aluminum chips just do NOT stick to it...

I was using a petrol based lube, but man it was picking up like a dust magnet..what a chore cleaning it...

this stuff seems to repel the sward, doesn't attract dust/chips at all...

here's a way to check your y axis pulse count...

measure a piece of steel or aluminum with machined ends.

with a micrometer.

using a dial indicator, zero it on the end as shown in the pic below.

then step distance move the dial to the other end.

dial should still be zero when touching the other end.

if it isn't, then the pulse count or screw pitch setting is off.

if it is ok, then it lost steps at some point during your machining operation.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yaxis2.JPG  

I'll get that lube. Do you pack it into the bearing carriages and ball nuts with a gun or just smear on and jog up and down?

Thanks, will give that a try tomorrow when I have my indicator here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine doesn't have access points for a gun, so I have to smear it on jogging AFTER I wipe all the old off.

I'm running my linear bearing machine with round rails about 20 - 30 hours a week, and this is a weekly chore..but worth it.

My machine really quieted down with it.

I suspect you have made the fatal assumption that cast acetal will behave the same as cast aluminium plate. Overnight it did some stress relaxation. Of course, if there was a good temperature shift as well .... (The TempCos are really different.)
    But you would not be the first to fall into that trap.

Cheers
    Roger

I remembered something last night about acetal which I'd forgotten when I did all the drilling and facing. Which is to always face both sides to relieve stress evenly. I think it might have been you that told me that actually.

If it is stress I wouldn't mind so much, so long as it's not likely to move any more, as I can just measure the error and move stuff in cam accordingly. But wouldn't I have seen movement in each direction? The top surface is still 'flat' and there is no error in the X, only the Y.

Yeah, possibly me.
    As for it only shrinking along one axis ... that may reflect how it was cast.
    Suggestion; warm place for two days, then measure. If stable, alter CAD. Been there a few times with plastics!

cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Yeah, possibly me.
    As for it only shrinking along one axis ... that may reflect how it was cast.
    Suggestion; warm place for two days, then measure. If stable, alter CAD. Been there a few times with plastics!

cheers
    Roger
    When you say warm, I think you and I might have different ideas of the definition

I guess I'll take it home where the temperature is relatively stable (18•C - 21•C)

um yeah, i was thinking 30+ C, but 21 C will work - it just takes longer.

i had a machining template which went S one time - temp had gone from 30 C (when it was made) to <5 C (now). the shift actually matched the tempco. i compensated by changing the between-unit spacing from 20.00 mm to something like 19.80 mm. worked fine, taught me a lesson.

cheers
    Roger

Don't suppose anyone has a moment to pop the connector off the top of the spindle and tell me which wire goes to which pin #?

Pretty sure it doesn't matter, bang 'em on and spin it up; if it runs in the wrong direction just swap two.

OmioCNC report

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Pretty sure it doesn't matter, bang 'em on and spin it up; if it runs in the wrong direction just swap two.
    It was the ground pin I wasn't sure about. It seems to be universally pin #4 but I am certain I pulled one the live wires off that pin.

Changing spindles... again... and recycling the connector on the spindle. Forgot to make a note of which wire goes where

Edit: pin 4 is earth. I must be going mad

I went through this last month.

Pop the connector off the motor at the top.

Take a volt ohm meter. Since this is a three phase motor, three of the four pins will show continuity between them. The fourth will have
    no continuity with any of the others. THAT pin will be ground.

btw my spindle ran backwards when I first got the machine. Rather than ripping into the nice heat shrunk connections in the motor connector
    I went and swapped two of the three on the drive itself inside the control box. Easier that way...

Mine did that too,now rectified so pin 1 > U, 2 > V, 3 > W. I was just swapping the connector on the spindle over, I knew which wire was which but I forgot which pin was earth is all. I just waited til this morning and checked out the cable and matched the pins.

Hi Guys,
    I've just finished reading this whole thread, Whew!, and it is full of great information for a Newbie like me.
    I have not pressed the "Buy" button at Omio yet but have been thinking of getting the X4-800L USB or the orange box X4-800EPL machine.
    I have been playing around with a T8 Hobbyking Engraver using Inkscape and Grbl and have had some success, but I have always wanted a cnc machine so hence the post.
    There has been lots and lots of info on the X6 on this forum, which applies to the X4 as well, and many of you have been happy with them and some not.
    Also the orange box has had some users talk about it, but not a lot, so I want to know more about this machine before I fork out the dough.
    One user had success using Fusion360 and Mach3 with Boxy?? set as a post-processor, but I thought this machine did not need mach3 as it is built in? Has anyone had success with any of the software that Omio recommend?

Is the Orange Box easy to use? Once you have plugged in the usb stick with your cad model, what do you need to do and what controls do you have, and is a separate hand controller handy or do you just do that off the screen on the box? I really like the fact that you dont need a computer to run the machine, (like my Tevo Little Monster 3D printer which uses an SD Card) and they say that if there is a power interruption or you need a break, you can re-start the job from where it stopped.
    Has anyone tried this and does it work?

Is it worth getting the 4th axis version for future use or get it down the track, but make sure it has the motor controller for the 4th axes installed. They say it comes with a 4 bearing air cooled 800W ER11 spindle but in the specs they talk about a 2.2kW spindle that can handle a 13mm bit but you need to get a different collet? Must be a typo?

Also I can get a 6040 1.5kW 4 axis machine on ebay for about a $grand cheaper than Omio. I know that they are cheap made chinese machines, but from what I have read in this forum, so are the Omio ones, but they do seem to be better built (well some of you have had lots of probs here with squareness, flexing etc) and, but better electronics and stepper motors and overall construction, but there has been problems with these too. Just a discussion point, I dont think I want the ebay ones..

I appreciate your thoughts and feedback on the above and thank you in advance..

cheers
    Nick

You Get What You Pay For.

IF (IF) you have the engineering facilities and skills to handle any mechanical problems yourself, and the electronic skills for ditto, then you may be able to handle the inevitable hiccups. You may also need some programming skills.

Cheers
    Roger

The reason I bought this one was their use of linear rails and ballscrews instead of curtain rods and acme threads. I felt that, if the frame was too light, it wouldn't be a big deal to make up a new frame and table and transfer all the hardware over. Actually, making a new heavier bed for it fixed a lot of issues by stiffening the base frame.

I don't think there's anything special about the Omio electronics, I'd be surprised if it were any much different to any of the other cheapo stuff available. I got the sh1ts with their USB breakout and replaced it with a UC-400ETH, for example. But it was the cheapest I found with half decent hardware.

If your cheapo uses curtain rod rails then that explains the grand difference. Also, if you can power it and afford the extra, get the 2200W spindle. ER20 gives you just that little bit better versatility than the ER16 on the 1.5kW spindles.

Hi Roger,
    I am a Civil Engineer by Trade, but I design Buildings not mechanical stuff. That being said, I have a passion for well built and engineered items and the Omio CNC stuff is really nice.
    I was surprised to hear that so many of you had electrical and mechanical issues but I suppose that is to be expected. I tinker with this stuff (I have a Seig SC4 Lathe) and have some mechanical skills, but I am hoping to avoid poorly made and produced machines by getting something better. Some of you have had great success and others not so its a bit of a crapshoot, to see what you end up with. I am learning Inkscape and grbl at the moment but will start doing fusion360 lessons soon. Big learning curve but where there is a passion......
    cheers
    Nick

OmioCNC report

The OMIO is some half decent hardware made like crap. You're not going to get anything that isn't potentially poorly produced unless you quadruple your budget and shop second hand, or build it yourself.

If nothing else it's a great platform to build something better. Since I've put shielded cables on everything and made a star point earth, faulty PSU aside I've had no problems with the electrics, the OMIO does have proper individual stepper drivers instead of the tacky all in one boards the eBay variants have.

I would agree with Dharmic on everything particularly the spindle. 400w I'm sure will cope with any cut the machine could manage before the frame gives way, but I'm pretty certain you will lose low rpm torque and even now I'm running a Yaskawa VFD with sensorless vector control, trying to use an 8mm carbide drill on aluminium is pushing it to its limits of usability, unless you don't mind blunting your drill every other hole. You'll also have the ability to use bigger tools which will come in handy now and again.

I would advise on just using Mach3 on a PC rather than the standalone controller. I believe (not sure) that they're just using some form of Mach3 anyway and they're seldom used, there's little support or user community for them. When compared to Mach, any problem you might encounter you can guarantee some bodies already had before and problem solving generally equates to 30 seconds worth of google searching. Even if it can hold the machines position after cutting power, with a little hands on experience you will learn how to use features of the part to find your position anyway, so it's not necessary. But I bet it just wants to rehome off the switches and as you'll have read over the last couple of pages, they're not the best and will introduce error.

I doubt you're going to find anything better for the price that is CNC ready. But depending what you plan on making, if you plan to do a lot of small parts, particularly in 'harder' stuff like aluminium for example, your cash might be better spent waiting for a second hand CNC'd sieg or a small taig, denford, EMCO or similar if you don't need the build volume.

Hey dharmic, I have not bought anything yet, just trying to find out which model to get from Omio. I really like the orange box one that does not need a computer as I will put my cnc machine downstairs in my garage and dont really want to have a computer somewhere next to it, but I have a spare computer if I need to. I am not sure why you changed the usb breakout and replaced it with a UC-400ETH, maybe you can explain why.

My mate has this machine from ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CNC-ROUT...53.m1438.l2649 and I was checking it out last night. It does have 16mm curtain rods and 1605 ballscrews but it looks well built although there is some flex when I grab the motor and spindle and push/pull it towards/away from me, but I take it there would be much less flex with linear guide rails?? His bed is fairly level and it seems a semi decent build, but not as good as the omio ones.

When I finally purchase a machine, I will get the highest powered spindle that comes with it, but I think I prefer the air cooled versions as they cool the spindle and the bit and the work, and also blow the chips away. Sounds too good to be true, but I hear that these spindles are quite noisy?

I have read that the ebay machines like this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1500W-3-...53.m1438.l2649 have overheating problems as they have the VFD mounted inside the control box and the VFD overheats causing the machine to stop during a build. My mates one has a separate VFD box with a fan and so it does not suffer from overheating. I have not heard of any problems with Omios VFDs overheating in their control boxes so they must be better thought out and built.

I take it that with the orange box machines you still make your model in fusion and mach3 and then save it to a usb stick and go from there. I suppose I want to know what the controls on the orange box do and is it similar to having a hand controller? So I am waiting on users with the orange box machines to let me know what their experiences have been and what they think of it. This option is the most expensive but I figure if that is what I want, then I should get it.
    cheers
    Nick

Page 85 of 107 3575838485868795