585,665 active members*
3,669 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Looking for a decent CNC milling machine for desktop

Looking for a decent CNC milling machine for desktop

Greetings,

I am looking for a small CNC machine that could fit on my desktop, with a working area about 400x400x10mm, that would enable me to have a small business of
    wood cutting, sign making, engraving, making small kitchenware, etc.... 3D cutting would be great, but not that detailed(no need for 4 or 5 axis).
    Price range should be about 1.5K euro.
    Stepcraft v2 600 is what I'm looking into at the moment, however there are no decent reviews and I would also like other ideas.

As long as I can replicate something like this and this then its an instant buy.

Thanks in Advance!

Re: Looking for a decent CNC milling machine for desktop

As long as I can replicate something like this and this then its an instant buy.
    How many of those would you need to make in a day to make the machine profitable?
    On a very small, and inexpensive machine, those items could take several hours to make.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

If I could make the elephant plate in about 2-3 hours I would be perfectly happy. And the clock 3-4 hours?
    Does that sound reasonable?

How much do those elephant plates sell for? I can't imagine that they get more than about $20 each for them. Deduct the cost of selling them, and you have to make it for half that to see any kind of profit. But the wood will cost you at least $5, so you have to run your machine for 3 hours, clean up any supports, sand it out and finish it for $5. (That's without amortizing the cost of the machinery, tooling, and software, or paying for any overhead expenses like rent, taxes, insurance, or utilities.) It seems like begging on the street would be a lot more profitable...
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    How much do those elephant plates sell for? I can't imagine that they get more than about $20 each for them. Deduct the cost of selling them, and you have to make it for half that to see any kind of profit. But the wood will cost you at least $5, so you have to run your machine for 3 hours, clean up any supports, sand it out and finish it for $5. (That's without amortizing the cost of the machinery, tooling, and software, or paying for any overhead expenses like rent, taxes, insurance, or utilities.) It seems like begging on the street would be a lot more profitable...
    Something like those plates is more for my use...
    The commercial/business side would come from signs, engraving, etc...