584,842 active members*
4,161 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PP for the slant pro lathe issue

Hey guys, just getting the lathe up and running. I have cut a bit using Dolphin Cam, but do not have a Post Processor. I am actually waiting on the next update of Fusion 360. It should contain HSM Works turn module.

Anyway I am running into an issue just trying out the conversational on a simple face cut. I think I will need to post some pictures rather than try to explain it.

I am having a problem I think because my parting tool is in the positive upside down. Any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error1.jpg   tool1.jpg   tool table.jpg   face.jpg  

layout.jpg  
    Lee

Re: PP for the slant pro lathe issue

For some reason I could not edit the last post. I think this image shows my issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error1.jpg  
    Lee

Okay. Fixed that issue. It will not turn with the parting grooving tool.
    Not a face or OD turn that is. It might if I were to try to groove the part.
    I put a turning tool in and it came out great. Now I am having a small issue with the drills. Basically the same thing. It is complaining. I will have to read up on that too.
    Lee

Okay. I initially read through the manual just past what is effectively the quick start guide. I don't normally need to go further, however the Tormach manual goes in depth after that on every aspect of Path Pilot.
    It really is well written and solved my issues for me. There are still some things I will need to work out through trial and error, but that got me to a point where I could try it.
    So, the old sage advice shines through. If all else fails, RTFM. I don't recall when I have read a manual that was as well written as this one is. It had to have been a very good technical writer that knows the machine well.

For me to make my parts like I do on my little lathe, I would have to use CAM. Conversational will not operate the grooving tool like a turning tool and move down the length in stepped increments. That would sure reduce cycle times for my production parts. I have another tool holder coming so I can have a turning tool mounted, so that will help then. Right now it is a manual tool change in the QCTP. Trying to do too much before it is properly setup.
    Lee

Now another issue maybe someone can help with. I am trying to use conversational to drill these parts with tool 2. It is a 1/4" drill bit. I keep getting an error message. The numbers are fairly close to what I see in the manual, so I really don't know what is wrong. I have tried negative numbers in spots, but it gets worse.

Gotta be something simple.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drill error 1.jpg   drill error 2.jpg   drill error 3.jpg  
    Lee

Try changing the end depth to a positive 0.7

Thanks. I actually tried that a few times. I just got it to work though. What I did was to go on to tool 3, which is also a drill. I input everything the same except this time I input a positive peck. Book shows negative, but I swear I have tried it both ways a few times. Anyway it let me post the code with no complaints. Switched back to tool 2 and it was fixed as well. I don't think I did anything except to keep messing with it.
    It's working for now.
    Lee

I heard back from Tormach on the drill error I was experiencing. Turns out it is a known bug in the latest version and the fix is coming out this week. The work around believe it or not is to switch between the tap and drill screen a few times. That is exactly what I did a few times without realizing it.
    They have a bug list on the Tormach site. I read though them and have seen some of them before. Some I haven't noticed. Glad to see they are fixing them quickly.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I heard back from Tormach on the drill error I was experiencing. Turns out it is a known bug in the latest version and the fix is coming out this week. The work around believe it or not is to switch between the tap and drill screen a few times. That is exactly what I did a few times without realizing it.
    They have a bug list on the Tormach site. I read though them and have seen some of them before. Some I haven't noticed. Glad to see they are fixing them quickly.
    I noticed this was listed almost the same day you found it
    Wondered if they were the same

I wouldn't think so. They already have it fixed in the newest update. They have sold at least 116 of these in about a year, so lots of users using the software.
    Lee