585,741 active members*
5,023 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

CNC Drag Knife

I made a drag knife to be 3d printed and is working great for me so far. It uses standard 608 bearings and a steel rod of whatever diameter your spindle shaft is. Let me know if your interested in the files. I am designing several more and going to try to build the perfect drag knife for very cheap, and that can be mostly 3d printed. Ill keep this thread updated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6262.jpg   IMG_6263.jpg  

Re: CNC Drag Knife

Looks good, i am interested in the files and your progress.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

I like a copy of the files.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I should really get a 3D printer.

Looks great! Do you have a video of it in action? I too am interested in the files.

Really cool, would like to see a video as well.
    KL-4530 CNC, KL-6060, 5 3D printers, CNC Fusion Converted LMS Milling Machine, 60w Laser Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Sockles View Post
    Really cool, would like to see a video as well.
    Ill post a vid soon. I made it for cutting Adams Foam board which requires a pretty rigid drag knife which this one has a little flex in it, but im sure it would cut vinyl and other thin materials Much better.

Look very good.
    How good is it when cutting normal formboard 3/16", I get 3 router bit from Onsrud cost me more than $100 but none of them work in foam.
    how many cut you can do before you have to change a new blade?

can you send me the file too.
    [email protected]

Great project, what software are you using to generate the code and control the machine?

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Well any news on this build?
    Looks like a great Idea.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    Great project, what software are you using to generate the code and control the machine?

cheers, Ian
    I used both a cambam plugin, which works for very thin material, but Donek Dragknife has a free excel file that adds corner actions that works pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by avengine View Post
    Look very good.
    How good is it when cutting normal formboard 3/16", I get 3 router bit from Onsrud cost me more than $100 but none of them work in foam.
    how many cut you can do before you have to change a new blade?

can you send me the file too.
    [email protected]
    bits, no matter how sharp dont do a very good job cutting foam. The blades last a long time depending on what you put under your material, however the blades are so cheap that i put new ones on every project. I got a pack of 100 for $9.80 at home depot.

Quote Originally Posted by planekrazie View Post
    Well any news on this build?
    Looks like a great Idea.
    Steve
    I am on my 4th design, trying to make it as robust as possible. I am out of town currently so when i get back i will print it and test it, and post updates. I prabably wont release the files of this current version because it is too weak of a design and will not be any good on material like foamboard

jlowe1224,
    if I really want to get good cut on foam board then this drag knife is not a good solution. in what area that you said don't do the good job, you have some photos of the problem. you did spend a lot of time to build the tool, any better way to do it.
    I am now asking someone to quote me on a-axis add on to get tangential for the D2 drag knife, if that is the case, I have to wait and see if there is any better solution.
    would oscillating knife do a better job?

Quote Originally Posted by jlowe1224 View Post
    bits, no matter how sharp dont do a very good job cutting foam. The blades last a long time depending on what you put under your material, however the blades are so cheap that i put new ones on every project. I got a pack of 100 for $9.80 at home depot.

Quote Originally Posted by avengine View Post
    I am now asking someone to quote me on a-axis add on to get tangential for the D2 drag knife,
    I built a drag knife but I had problems with the tangential for my A axis. Apparently it has to be different than just cutting a flat surface. I'm trying to use mine to slot cardboard tubing. Haven't been able to get it to work. I'm considering building a laser cutter to do the job.

Might be a good Idea, I am only doing decals at the moment but a few gaskets was what I had in mind with my mini plotter drag Knife 2 mm bearings inside and some small magnets to hold the tools up works kind of OK.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutter sml.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	287796

I do has a co2 laser cutter, but no way it is good for foam board, it will make burn mark on the edge, I know icut are using oscillating knife, is there any low cost one is available and can do a good job?

Quote Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
    I built a drag knife but I had problems with the tangential for my A axis. Apparently it has to be different than just cutting a flat surface. I'm trying to use mine to slot cardboard tubing. Haven't been able to get it to work. I'm considering building a laser cutter to do the job.

Im interested in the files. Made one on my lathe but its rather clunkky.

I know alot of people that get really good cuts on foam board with laser cutters. Try playing with the settings, however i do hear that it slightly melts the inside foam a bit on the cuts, but apparently gives it a more professional look.

I went to a show and they try to cut a circle on the cheap foamboard that i ask them to cut, it is a Epilog co2 laser machine 70W power, a bit of burn mark on the edge and curve on the inside, is that the typical result, is there any way to cut it better than this?
    compare to drag knife, is the drag knife can do the job or it is just a so so solution.
    any suggestion welcome.
    Attachment 289016
    Attachment 289018
    Attachment 289020
    Quote Originally Posted by jlowe1224 View Post
    I know alot of people that get really good cuts on foam board with laser cutters. Try playing with the settings, however i do hear that it slightly melts the inside foam a bit on the cuts, but apparently gives it a more professional look.

Page 1 of 2 12