585,749 active members*
3,784 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Servo Problem - Not Running Smooth

Servo Problem - Not Running Smooth

Hi,
    I have been working on this cnc controller for weeks now and i have solved some of the problem but there is one i am having trouble with. First off here are the specs

Renco Encoder
    MagTek Motor
    Gecko G320x Drivers
    C10 BOB
    Mach 3

I am having trouble with the motor not running smooth, and will jump all over the place. The G320x's will pickup the step from the BOB (lights change direction is sent) and the step from the encoder (also, lights change when encoder is moved) but when i plug in the motor it will throw faults and be jumpy and jittery.

Here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJP5hyFckKU

Thanks
    Mike

Re: Servo Problem - Not Running Smooth

2 things to look at. The simplest is you may have axis runaway. If that's the case switch the leads coming into the motor. It's easy to try. If that's not the problem then it's motor tuning. Follow the directions in the motor drive Manuel to tune the motor.

Ben

Many say you can't really tune a servo without having it connected mechanically to a machine.

Also, from the gecko manual

If the motor jumps slightly and the FAULT indicator immediately turns back on, then either the motor is wired backwards or the
    trimpots are misadjusted. Check the trimpot settings. If they are correct then switch exchange CH A and CH B. If it still doesn’t work
    and you followed all the previous steps, call Geckodrive at the number at the end of this document.

I have similar hardware, C10 and G320X's, when I first tested my setup it had the same behaviour, swapping the CH-A and CH-B leads on the 320X fixed it for me.

Regards.

Steve.

I think i figured it out after posting this and i am going to test today, The motor is a reverse winding motor. the original mfg of the table ran the motor into a gearbox which reversed the rotation so they had MagMotor make a custom reverse wound motor so it would run backwards (forward after the gearbox) tried it with another normal wound motor and it is as smooth as kittens fur.

Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbringer View Post
    the original mfg of the table ran the motor into a gearbox which reversed the rotation so they had MagMotor make a custom reverse wound motor so it would run backwards (
    That does not make any sense.....

Jacksonqin0305 Guest

Hi Mike,this is Jackson, mechanical manufacturing engineer with extensive knowledge and work experience and my factory located in the world manufacture base center Dongguan/Shenzhen,China,
    we offer Lathe and Milling/sheet metal fab/parts stamping service, any new works,
    Just contact me,[email protected] / whatsapp+86 13532883201 skype bailong0305,thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xjdubber View Post
    That does not make any sense.....
    Yes it does - if motor turns clockwise - a single gear will turn anti clock. If the cutter needs to turn clockwise then the motor must be run in reverse. But unless the motor is wound and brushed symmetrical they are usually directional having better efficiency in their designed preferential direction ! Although it might have been more economical to just add a 1:1 idler gear in the gearbox to save building a one-of motor!

The motors he's using are brush dc servos. They can be run in forward or reverse. They are axis motors not spindle motors. His issue was with negative feedback. It can be fixed by either reversing the encoder a and b wires or reversing the motor power wires.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    Yes it does - if motor turns clockwise - a single gear will turn anti clock. If the cutter needs to turn clockwise then the motor must be run in reverse. But unless the motor is wound and brushed symmetrical they are usually directional having better efficiency in their designed preferential direction ! Although it might have been more economical to just add a 1:1 idler gear in the gearbox to save building a one-of motor!
    Find me a servo motor that only runs in one direction and ill say im sorry.....

PS. its counter clockwise

Quote Originally Posted by xjdubber View Post

PS. its counter clockwise
    PPS. Read the last paragraphs...... separated by a common language: anti-clockwise and counterclockwise We can't help how the colonies have abused the language LOL!