585,885 active members*
6,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Kollmorgen BDS4 206 23 possible failure

Kollmorgen BDS4 206 23 possible failure

I have a kollmorgen BDS4 driver connected to a 5th axis on a Cincinnati arrow 1000, at first a thought that the servomotor had some kind of failure because it was making a noise, I took it out and found that the noise its because the servomotor was going back and forward to fast that is vibrating. I connected the servomotor to the 4th axis driver and it worked fine, it was stable. so I assume that something is wrong with the driver.

does anyone have had the same experience?

Re: Kollmorgen BDS4 206 23 possible failure

Sounds like your motor tuning parameters are off. Try reducing the proportional gain until the dithering stops, then reduce it a little more.

Thanks for your replay!!
    based on what you told, I looked in to the control maintenance manual and I found a servo adjustments section. here are some pictures of it.
    Attachment 286180Attachment 286182

is this what I have to do?

best regards,

No. Try ccw turn Single turn pot top front of drive marked stability.

If not fix, did it used to work?
    Is it comped for the troyke table?
    Did anyone turn the scale pot?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    No. Try ccw turn Single turn pot top front of drive marked stability.

If not fix, did it used to work?
    Is it comped for the troyke table?
    Did anyone turn the scale pot?
    I have not fix it yet, I sent an email to kollmorgen, and they told me I can adjust it from the driver, just like you are telling me. I found the driver's manual and it says how to adjust the stability. it says to adjust it properly I need a oscilloscope to track the internal tack signal and the current signal.

no, nobody has turn the scale pot, I just bought the machine and installed. I am trying to fix everything that does not look like is working properly. I am new with CNC machine. so I am learning.

thank you for your post!!

Quote Originally Posted by JFYM88 View Post
    I have not fix it yet, I sent an email to kollmorgen, and they told me I can adjust it from the driver, just like you are telling me. I found the driver's manual and it says how to adjust the stability. it says to adjust it properly I need a oscilloscope to track the internal tack signal and the current signal.

no, nobody has turn the scale pot, I just bought the machine and installed. I am trying to fix everything that does not look like is working properly. I am new with CNC machine. so I am learning.

thank you for your post!!
    You can adjust without scope; put your hand on table and feel the vibration (oscillation), turn stability CCW until vibration goes away.

Or watch a2100 screen position or following error; adjust CCW until not shaking around more than the other axes.

Speed scale is very important to be correct or it will causing oscillation - BUT SLOW oscillation, like back and forth typically once or twice or five times a second - slow. Stability is like 100 or 200 or 300 times/sec. So armed with this knowledge you can decide which needs adjustment. speed pot adjust check: command max table speed and measure analog command to drive (top 2 terminals on big molex connector). should be around 7-9vdc if adjusted right.