584,879 active members*
5,150 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smithy AM-1440 with Siemens 808D control.....need help

Hello together....
    In April we bought a CNC Lathe AM -1440 from Smithy.
    It has a Siemens 808D Controller.
    Since all these weeks we have not been able to create a post for this machine even so Siemens and Mecsoft are greatly helping to get this matter solved.
    Missing are key information's from the Vendor on how they have configured the controller.
    Is there anybody who had the same problem or uses the Siemens 808D Controller on a CNC Lathe?
    Please get in touch with us so we can get this expensive boat anker to finally work and cut parts.

thank you so much

Re: Smithy AM-1440 with Siemens 808D control.....need help

Hello
    I just made a Cnc Machine with Sinumerik 808D controller.
    I'm using Autodesk Inventor & HSMExpress (if you have Inventor or Fusion360 or Solidworks, HSMExpres is free) for tool path. They don't have a dedicated post-processor for 808D but it works 90% with post for 810D and 802D.
    Just now they are in the process of developing a universal Sinumerik post-processor for Lathe Machines.

Thanks for the info....
    I am using Visual Turn from Mecsoft.... With the Visual Mill from same company i had never a problem to get the post processor set up.
    But this time i have massive problems to get it running correct.
    In specific i need to know the strings of information for the G82 G83 alternative cycle82 cycle83
    They partially work but giving errors like "illegal axis" or "no feed value set"
    The fun part is even if i use the Controller wizard to create these code it still errors out!

So if you have an working 808D controller and can post here a sample string for G83 so i can try it out that would be very much appreciated.
    thanks

Hello! I don't know anything about Lathe Machines.
    Pleas read this manual!
    You can find example for all the cycles on the 808D Turn and G-code basic structure.

We got the Books from Siemens with the machine.....unfortunately the machine will not operate with the sample programs from the Siemens books. I know that sounds wired but that is our dilemma.
    I requested Help from Siemens and they told me it has to do with the configuration of the controller which was done by the machine manufacturer who installed the controller in the Lathe.
    But they claim everything is the way it is in the book.
    So we are now sitting in the middle with a machine not working.
    One side must be wrong....Siemens or Smithy.....that's why i am here to find out if someone else had problems with this controller and can help me to get it running

As a Machine Manufacture, i will have to agree with Smithy. :rainfro:
    I commission my 808D controller so it's a very easy process, it's a simple wizard.
    Ask on the Siemens forum and if you don't have any success. Re-commission the controller (after you do a backup), if you need i can provide all the documentation you need.
    But as i mention i don't have any experience with Turning Machine, so i can't help you!

Hmmmm....Do you go and buy a brand new car with an wrong configuration in the board computer and then start finding out the programming yourself?
    I do not think so......
    Again the controller is not even running with the programs we wrote in the Wizard and they told me the machine was tested....well i guess a Gremlin must have been on the shipping truck played with it.
    After all these weeks of non production i would love to get it finally running.

I know how it's sound's but it's a alternative.
    If you search on Siemens website you can find Sinumerik 808D PC (it a virtual controller for PC and it's free) try to download/install it and reproduce you'r cycles so you know that there is a problem with the controller. Maybe is a user error (don't get me wrong, i'm just saying)
    The right way to solve this it to ask the company you bought from to come and solve the problem or do a Team Viewer Meating
    Tell me what dose Cycles do. Maybe i can create a test g-code for you in HSM Pro, it have Turning capability and i'l try different post processor's.

Can the 808D use generic Gcode? I will recieve my CNC Machines tomorrow and started to look for CAM solution. I have CUT2D for milling machine can i use it with 808D. I also planeed to get G-Wizard Conversational CNC and Visual turn and Visual mill

Yes the machine can generic g code. I work with visual turn and visual mill since years and i am absolute happy with the software and with the support.
    Mecsoft was giving me more useful help then Smithy. I got most of the posts working now.
    They are great.
    Please let me know how it goes for you when you get the machine in.
    I am curious how they are supporting you once you have the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Prozesstech View Post
    Yes the machine can generic g code. I work with visual turn and visual mill since years and i am absolute happy with the software and with the support.
    Mecsoft was giving me more useful help then Smithy. I got most of the posts working now.
    They are great.
    Please let me know how it goes for you when you get the machine in.
    I am curious how they are supporting you once you have the machine.

Hello, i recieved my Machines. Unfortunately my lathe was dropped from forklift. Luckily not much damage but brushless controller for spindle motor does not work

At the meantime i cleaned my milling machine and tried it. But im stuck at a simple step! I made a gcode in my CAD/CAM, entered tool data in machine, referenced it to center of my workpiece (also referenced it at turn on) and put all axes to 0 at center of my material

But the machine stubborn goes away to mill on the X-Y factory limit switch reference and respects only Z axis 0 that i set. Help?

Hi.... as for the Lathe please try to change 2 of your phases on the incoming power.
    Normally this should not have an effect on the frequency drive but you never know. My Tool changer didn't work until i swapped the 2 legs on the incoming power.
    As for the mill...i am sorry i do not know anything there to help.
    Try to contact Smithy and have them explain....maybe Kade can help you...
    Please let me know how it goes for you....

Quote Originally Posted by Prozesstech View Post
    Hi.... as for the Lathe please try to change 2 of your phases on the incoming power.
    Normally this should not have an effect on the frequency drive but you never know. My Tool changer didn't work until i swapped the 2 legs on the incoming power.
    As for the mill...i am sorry i do not know anything there to help.
    Try to contact Smithy and have them explain....maybe Kade can help you...
    Please let me know how it goes for you....
    Hello, my Machines are not Smithy, i bought them in China. My lathe is single phase and does not use a VFD. I have traced the error to broken brushless driver connector on driver mainboard. I resoldered and now tu runs partially. It will give velicosity error and turn off motor. Unless i trick it with belt change, but then cant get speed i need (since i enter wrong data on belt position to 808 D on purpose)

Regarding the milling machine, i figured it out later

Managed to fix my lathe, but still cant run it. Can anyone reccomend a cam/cad solution that works with 808D?

I was milling on my 808d cnc mill in few hours, plays nicely with generic gcode outputed from my various milling cad/cam packages.

But for the lathe i downloaded most of availablr cam/cad packages and didnot manage to run it.

Anyone know about turning cam/cad for 808d turning, not too expensive or too complicated for hoby shop?

Hello hacklordsniper
    I made a cnc machine with Sinumerik 808D Mill controller and i don't know if i commission it correctly (i don't like how it's cutting). I will like to see a list of parameter's from a company made machine, so i can compare them with mine.
    Can you pleas sent me a backup of your controller so i can see the parameters?
    To make a backup is very simple, you have to insert a USB Stick in the controller and press CTRL+L (this will save a complete system backup file and store it on the
    USB Stick)

Thank You and Best Regard's!

Quote Originally Posted by mecanicu View Post
    Hello hacklordsniper
    I made a cnc machine with Sinumerik 808D Mill controller and i don't know if i commission it correctly (i don't like how it's cutting). I will like to see a list of parameter's from a company made machine, so i can compare them with mine.
    Can you pleas sent me a backup of your controller so i can see the parameters?
    To make a backup is very simple, you have to insert a USB Stick in the controller and press CTRL+L (this will save a complete system backup file and store it on the
    USB Stick)

Thank You and Best Regard's!
    Hello,

i will give you the backup files today. And do you Know any help in my case, for compatible CAM, postprocessor, anything?

Hello,
    Thank you!
    I'm using Inventor HSM Pro. It has a Free version (HSM Express), but it's only for 2D Strategies. For full 3D Strategies, 5 axis and Turning Strategies (for Lathe) you'l need the Pro version.
    HSM is not an independent software. It's a Add-one for Autodesk Inventor, Autodesk Fusion 360 (this is a free software) and for Solidworks.
    They don't have a dedicated Sinumerik 808D Post processor (if you know a bit of programming you can modify it very easy, or if you know what you need exactly, they have a very active community forum and there you can find peoples that will modify the Post processor) but i'm using one for Sinumerik 810D and it's working 95% (i had some problem's with Helical moves on some part's)
    Take a look at their web page Autodesk CAM Solutions | Integrated CAM Software (this is the official page for Inventor HSM) and find all the info you need there.

Quote Originally Posted by hacklordsniper View Post
    Hello,

i will give you the backup files today. And do you Know any help in my case, for compatible CAM, postprocessor, anything?
    Hi.

Maybe you forgot about me If you still wanna give me the backup you can send it to me by e-mail (i will send you a private message when you tell me)

Thank you!

Hello,

So sorry i forgot. Im still little angry on this machines because i have some problems and manufacturer has no solution. My machines dont move in small steps (0.1 mm) and i have to move it 6 x 0.1 mm and get 1 jump 0.4 mm. Seems the servo drivers are configured wrong or something else. Due to this or some other problem the mill has terrible surface finish. The lathe never worked since i cant find any compatible cam.

Anyway send me your e-mail and i will send you files, but beware since i dont know is the machine commisioned correctly.